• ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Interesting read.
    Anecdotally, I've found many young (college age) dems that don't dislike gun ownership, they just don't own any themselves (as freshmen, for example). I see this change as they near graduation from the university.
    This is just my anecdotal experience as a professor in the midwest.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm sort of wondering if the truthfulness of the democratic respondents has changed.
    I know of at least 2 staunchly democratic/liberal voters (indiucky knows one of the ones I'm speaking of), who own quite a few guns each. One of those, the one Indiucky knows, I'm pretty sure would fess up if asked, the other is more paranoid than most of us on INGO, and probably wouldn't be truthful, if asked.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I know of at least 2 staunchly democratic/liberal voters (indiucky knows one of the ones I'm speaking of), who own quite a few guns each. One of those, the one Indiucky knows, I'm pretty sure would fess up if asked, the other is more paranoid than most of us on INGO, and probably wouldn't be truthful, if asked.

I love ribbing him...Of course AFTER my plumbing is fixed....:)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The leftists that have taken control of the Democrat Party, do not tolerate much dissent. The head of the DNC recently said all Democrats had to be pro-abortion. I think they clearly have to be anti-gun now. There used to be a lot of evangelicals that were Democrats, but most were driven out due to their position that homosexuality is a sin. Are there any climate change skeptics in the party now? They have a check off list now of positions that you simply have to have to fit in.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I would say that the Democratic party has abandoned guns and gun owners. Liberals/Progressives have not. One of the most liberal people I know has more guns that I do. He votes Democrat only because he simply cannot vote Republican, and there aren't any other real choices.

There are a huge number of voters that really don't have a party now. You can't be a moderate liberal and be welcomed in the Democratic party. Much like you can't be a small-government conservative and be welcomed as a Republican.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I would say that the Democratic party has abandoned guns and gun owners. Liberals/Progressives have not. One of the most liberal people I know has more guns that I do. He votes Democrat only because he simply cannot vote Republican, and there aren't any other real choices.

There are a huge number of voters that really don't have a party now. You can't be a moderate liberal and be welcomed in the Democratic party. Much like you can't be a small-government conservative and be welcomed as a Republican.

There will be a new middle forming, like Dave Rubin (and others) talk about.
    Pro individual liberty, (semi)limited govt,
    I think many libertarians i know would associate with this group (as opposed to the more minimalist/extreme libertarians). And there would be plenty of room for those of us that are less partisan, less identity-politic driven.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Democrats have moved to become the party of the regulation economy and the education industrial complex, adding in the illegal aliens. Time will tell if they made the right strategic move for the future although the most recent election would seem that they are mistaken or to early in pushing their strategy. It won't be the same America if they are correct, the entire country will run like chicago.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    The old bags like Hillary are still waving their old fart fragranced anti-liberty flags. They hold the old lines, including being anti-gun.

Some of the new kids on the left (like the young woman with the crew cut and her girlfriend at the range) get the fact that some broken, sick people will hurt and kill them because of how they dress/who they love/because the worms in the sick person's head commands them. The young woman and her girlfriend are more interested in the practical nature of self defense than they are in the stinky old flags the stinky old bags are so fond of.

The gun community has natural allies in some of the groups on the left. First we embrace those groups in our agreement that they have the right to self defense. We show these folks that we honestly hold dear values like self determination and freedom. If we (the gun community) can honestly show some of these people that we pay more than lip service to these values, then we start to break folks off of the collectivist platform of coercion and add them to our platform of individuality and liberty.

Top Bottom