• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My wife and I bought a new house over the weekend. We haven't closed yet, that's probably about 4 to 6 weeks out.

When we move, I will need to move my gun vault to the new location.

I do know that we will put it in the basement, but since we don't know the exact layout of our stuff yet, I need the ability to move the safe around, preferably on a caddy or dolly that allows me to move the vault easily from one spot to another, until we figure out its permanent location. The basement is not technically finished, but does have a nice linoleum tile floor that we don't want to scrape, leave dents, impressions, or otherwise mar the floor.

Does anyone know of such a device? I've seen caddies for pianos, I was wondering if there is something similar out there for a safe?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I believe 2 Men and Truck move them. Midwest had one of their signs in the area of their store they display safes at.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Do a "google" search for mobile safe bases, or heavy duty mobile bases. I don't have any idea as to the total weight or size of your safe so can't recommend any particular one. Standard bases on casters handle various weights up to around 1500 lbs. You will need to know your size and weight to choose one. Also watch the caster design on the ones you are interested in, some have urethane wheels which will be far easier on tile, whereas others have steel which will surely leave a groove and other marks.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Do a "google" search for mobile safe bases, or heavy duty mobile bases. I don't have any idea as to the total weight or size of your safe so can't recommend any particular one. Standard bases on casters handle various weights up to around 1500 lbs. You will need to know your size and weight to choose one. Also watch the caster design on the ones you are interested in, some have urethane wheels which will be far easier on tile, whereas others have steel which will surely leave a groove and other marks.

I think mine is 800 lbs empty. Thanks, will try that. :yesway:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I believe 2 Men and Truck move them. Midwest had one of their signs in the area of their store they display safes at.
    I tried them once. Described the safe, the weight, the location, made the appointment. Three wimps and a dolly arrived. They were skeered and wouldn't touch it.

Had to scramble and found a guy in Louisville that came with one helper and got it done. Unfortunately he has so much business in the local area (Louisville, Clark/Floyd Co) that he doesn't like to travel too far.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a mover lined up, Blythe's in Griffith, they are a vault dealer and mover. I'm just looking for a dolly or caddy so I can wheel it around in the basement.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Harbor Freight and Home Depot sell some heavy duty casters. You could make something to fit. Make sure you get the appropriate casters for the weight and flooring (and don't tip it over). :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bear in mind a safe of significant weight WILL damage linoleum if it sits very long on heavy duty casters. (furniture dolly, etc) You will want to have it rest on a square of something to distribute the weight.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Bear in mind a safe of significant weight WILL damage linoleum if it sits very long on heavy duty casters. (furniture dolly, etc) You will want to have it rest on a square of something to distribute the weight.

Good point, probably will need to set it on a piece of plywood. I've been thinking this over again, and I've pretty much abandoned the idea of a temporary/movable platform that I was considering when I posted this thread. I think it would be better to try to locate the permanent spot prior to moving the vault into the new house, and not attempt to move it around. That way there is less chance for damaging the floor, not to mention damaging the vault or, which would really be bad, what's inside.

Top Bottom