• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    The dishwasher. Top rack only for the polymer plastic wonders (grips or frames). Hard on wood furniture though, and do NOT use detergent with any "lemon" in it. Significant other might not care for it though. The steel parts clattering around tend to crack ceramic and break the glassware, especially crystal stemware.

John
    [who also has some antique covered bridges for sale]
    I use Hoppe's #9 for cleaning and a Viper version of the Bore Snake on the barrels followed by patches. Solvents will absorb into the body through the skin. I wear latex surgical gloves for cleaning and buy them by the hundreds of pairs at Sam's Club. Also wear them when doing any mechanical maintenance (wrench turning) on mechanical devices that are greasy, oily, grimy, or otherwise coated with Crudmium. Hands are quite clean afterward.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If he is looking for greener and "Safer" chemicals I would have to say +1 on the Frog Lube.

I have a tube that I bought back when it was the greatest thing to hit the gun industry. Did two guns with it and haven't touched it since. Not a fan when it is cold out so I have moved back to a simple synthetic motor oil.

I am going to start coating my carbon steel hunting knives with the Frog Lube though. It was mentioned in another post and I thought it was an awesome idea.

Is he wanting a cleaner or lubricant? (oh wait...I think Frog Lube is both it also improves accuracy, makes cleaning easier, less smoke, salt water proof, and could be the cure for cancer!)

Sorry...insert purple where suitable.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I would suggest just using nitrile gloves and ventilation.

Kroil, WipeOut, FP10, Acetone...

-Nate

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If he is looking for greener and "Safer" chemicals I would have to say +1 on the Frog Lube.

I have a tube that I bought back when it was the greatest thing to hit the gun industry. Did two guns with it and haven't touched it since. Not a fan when it is cold out so I have moved back to a simple synthetic motor oil.

I am going to start coating my carbon steel hunting knives with the Frog Lube though. It was mentioned in another post and I thought it was an awesome idea.

Is he wanting a cleaner or lubricant? (oh wait...I think Frog Lube is both it also improves accuracy, makes cleaning easier, less smoke, salt water proof, and could be the cure for cancer!)

Sorry...insert purple where suitable.

Yeah, I learned the hard way that frog lube doesn't like cold. I'll never use it again.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Citrus based cleaners seem to work well for heavy dirt. I have seen no evidence of the orange cleaners harming metal but I would test it if I wasn't sure if a material or finish could be affected by it. Some use mineral spirits to pretty much clean everything off.

Me: I wipe them down occasionally if I am shooting them regularly and use some type of CLP when they get a little dirtier.

Once a year or so I will do a detail strip and soak the parts in as mild a cleaner as I can get away with and still get the parts clean. Then apply lube and put away until the next time I use them.

I used to spend so much time cleaning and cleaning after every range session. My stuff was so clean but now after doing some of my own "testing", I don't see the need and my time is too valuable right now to do much that is not necessary.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've been using Hoppe's Elite for years. I think he'll be happy with it. I've heard stories of Frog Lube gumming up, but I have no personal experience with it. Ballistol is good, but smells bad IMHO.

Top Bottom