• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Self defense story -- reporterette writes "That is when one of the homeowners took the law into their own hands and shot the suspect."

District Attorney's office speaks out after homeowner

Irritates me enough to send this email to her...

No, no, no.

The homeowner DID NOT "take the law into his own hands." He acted 100% in accordance with existing law and the legal system.

That is akin to writing that Sam took the law into his own hands by driving 35 mph in a 35 mph speed zone. Or that Fred took the law into his own hands by filing his taxes on April 15th.

It is a lazy, sloppy, inaccurate cliche, and it leads your readers into a deeper belief that there is a built-in media bias in reporting about firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

I received my journalism degree in Arkansas. I expect better from Arkansas reporters.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Very well stated! Where do they find these "reporters"?????? The other day I read a News Story about a Truck accident. A Semi hit a car and then another Semi hauling Steel. The first Driver was "Skewered" by the Steel. Impaled May be the Word the reporter was searching for. The Driver was not a Shish- Ka-Bob prior to the accident.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Outstanding! Now, let's see if you get a reply... I won't hold my breath though.

In the decades that I've sent versions of this letter out I've only gotten one reply, and that was that they were "sorry they didn't meet my high standards of journalism." I forwarded the note to the editor and asked if that was representative of the customer service they provided their readers. Never heard back from him.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I couldn't agree more and I'm glad you took the time to write.

As a former news writer and reporter I would have taken your comments to heart and made edits to the story. Sadly I know that I am the exception rather than the rule in that respect.

My most hated news cliche is in the headline. I hate the term "speaks out" because of how frequently and incorrectly it's used.

It should be reserved for those who face serious or potentially harmful repercussions for speaking publicly, a la whistle blowers, targets of violence, etc.

It should not be used anytime someone makes a statement.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    Self defense story -- reporterette writes "That is when one of the homeowners took the law into their own hands and shot the suspect."

District Attorney's office speaks out after homeowner

Irritates me enough to send this email to her...

No, no, no.

The homeowner DID NOT "take the law into his own hands." He acted 100% in accordance with existing law and the legal system.

That is akin to writing that Sam took the law into his own hands by driving 35 mph in a 35 mph speed zone. Or that Fred took the law into his own hands by filing his taxes on April 15th.

It is a lazy, sloppy, inaccurate cliche, and it leads your readers into a deeper belief that there is a built-in media bias in reporting about firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

I received my journalism degree in Arkansas. I expect better from Arkansas reporters.

Gotta agree

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    The reporter doesn't do any better with the simplest of facts either... her voice-over at :29 states the home was on highway 591 while the camera shows a picture of the highway sign... it's 594. :ugh:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Loved your response to her, but don't expect her to reply back to you or to print a correction.
    Check out Matt Christiansen's experiences with a reporterette caught printing unsubstantiated allegations to get an idea how these weasels behave.
    No less an authority than one General William T. Sherman had a comment about "journalists," calling them "dirty newspaper scribblers who have the impudence of Satan."

Top Bottom