• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just heard that the Teal Rd. Rural King in Lafayette has a new policy regarding firearms sales, and I think it could cause them a headache.
    A friend called tonight to tell me that Rural King denied a sale to him.
    They didn't even run a check, they never started the sale.

They told him they will not accept an Indiana state I.D. card for a firearms sale.
    Told him it had to be a drivers license or NO SALE!

Seems the ATF is coming down on Rural King because too many guns from the Lafayette store are ending up on the streets in Chiraq.
    My buddy called Rural King corporate, who put him in touch with their ATF compliance officer.
    This lady told him that too many people were obtaining an Indiana state I.D. just to purchase firearms, then run the to Chicago to sell on the streets.

While I understand Rural King's concern, I don't think it's entirely legal to deny a sale based on this policy.
    Federal law, if I'm not mistaken, says that a state issued I.D. is required to complete a firearms transaction.
    Most use a drivers license, but some can't, or don't, obtain a drivers license for whatever reason.

Ingo attorneys, what say you?
    Is this policy kosher?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It's a private business, not a state-run liquor store. Their sale, their rules. And there are other stores.

If you want to eat popcorn while purchasing a gun...guess you'll have to take your own and find another store? :popcorn:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    While a state issued ID is all that is required for a 4473 any ffl may deny any sell based on a suspect sale or gut feeling. Plain and simple, if the salesperson doesn't feel good about the sale then they have the right to deny the sale. I have done this a number of times. So no trouble for Rural King or any other ffl that does the same thing.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The shop I used to work at had the same policy. We caught some flack for it, but it had been in place for a LONG time and IMO prevented more than enough shady stuff to justify it. The policy originated because it used to be easier to get a State ID than it was to get a driver's license, and some folks from out of state got IDs and bought guns at the shop, which then ended up being used in some high-profile incidents. Now, with the "Secure ID" requirements, I don't think the process is any different to get either type of document, and such a policy makes less sense.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I know of one other well known shop that's had the same policy for a number of years.

Yeah I know of one, too. They wouldn't sell to Grandma Miguel 'cause she didn't have a DL. :(

edit: Grandma Miguel took her five bills elsewhere...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This was not a denial of a single purchase.
    My buddy was told by RK compliance officer that state I.D.'s were fine, even welcome for firearms purchases at other stores, just not Lafayette.
    No state I.D. sales to ANYONE at the Lafayette store, regardless of demeanor.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This was not a denial of a single purchase.
    My buddy was told by RK compliance officer that state I.D.'s were fine, even welcome for firearms purchases at other stores, just not Lafayette.
    No state I.D. sales to ANYONE at the Lafayette store, regardless of demeanor.

With all the gun running from Lafayette, can you blame Rural King?

I won't.

Just like the store where shooter521 worked, guy bought a Kalishnaklone in Camby and committed a murder in Chicago. They stopped the gun running with the DL requirement.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    With all the gun running from Lafayette, can you blame Rural King?

I won't.

Just like the store where shooter521 worked, guy bought a Kalishnaklone in Camby and committed a murder in Chicago. They stopped the gun running with the DL requirement.

They may adopt any policy they wish, but to assume any responsibility for the actions of a purchaser after they leave the store with their purchase is just not sound reasoning.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    They may adopt any policy they wish, but to assume any responsibility for the actions of a purchaser after they leave the store with their purchase is just not sound reasoning.

I'm sure it was traced back to their store, and they figure instead of getting angry people to show up just do it that way. I would rather see a business take care of the problem themselves especially if the guns are traced back to the stores, than have the state micromanage some more.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I'm sure it was traced back to their store, and they figure instead of getting angry people to show up just do it that way. I would rather see a business take care of the problem themselves especially if the guns are traced back to the stores, than have the state micromanage some more.

^^^THIS^^^

The DL requirement takes care of the problem and keeps the state out of the situation. Sorta like the old saying "you either fix this, or we'll fix it for you"
    I much prefer the current solution to whatever the gov't mandated solution might be.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Sometimes people just don't want to be part of criminal activity, knowingly or not.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area

Sound reasoning is being comfortable with selling a gun to a proper person in which you feel good that it will be used safely and for legal purposes.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There is something to be said for going to a gun store if you want to purchase retail. A friend tried to purchase a gun for the Rural King in Terre Haute, which was available with or without a laser. The example she handled was not so equipped and she explained to the salesman who tried to downplay the usefulness of the device that it was necessary as she is blind in one eye and without binocular vision, conventional sights are difficult for her to use. The result was an unpleasant lecture about how she shouldn't have a gun at all under those circumstances. She became wiser, found a local proper gun shop, and has been happily buying ever since.

While I can understand the RK police here under circumstances which no longer exist since the establishment of secure ID, as of today it is patently stupid. I also accept the fact that it is RK's right to be stupid which is why I generally buy as little as possible from them, guns or otherwise.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

If the gun was in some way the problem that needed taking care of, you'd have a point, but murderous people are the problem and no gun store can solve that.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    If the gun was in some way the problem that needed taking care of, you'd have a point, but murderous people are the problem and no gun store can solve that.

How about we all voluntarily take personal responsibility for our actions and NOT sell to murderous people when we have reason to believe they are murderous...geez what a radical concept :rolleyes:

This isn't about guns, it's about refusing to aid and abet murderous people! It wouldn't matter what they needed - a gun, face mask, a car ride to or from the crime scene, etc. - I'm NOT going to help and no responsible citizen should either.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

So if someone from Il or wherever can get an IN state id and use it to buy guns then go up to Chicago and pass them out to gang bangers you would be fine with that as the gun store shouldn't require an IN state driver license to make it harder for riff raff to buy from their store and possibly harming their name? Thus trying to keep murderous people from killing or supplying the tools to kill more as well as keeping the state out of the 2nd amendment regulation business even further. Seems like a win win to me still.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    How about we all voluntarily take personal responsibility for our actions and NOT sell to murderous people when we have reason to believe they are murderous...geez what a radical concept :rolleyes:

This isn't about guns, it's about refusing to aid and abet murderous people! It wouldn't matter what they needed - a gun, face mask, a car ride to or from the crime scene, etc. - I'm NOT going to help and no responsible citizen should either.

You're one who tried to make this about the guns, I simply pointed it out.

If presenting valid ID rather than a drivers license to make a purchase gives you a reasonable argument to suspect murderous intent, make it. I'll tear that nonsense down.

Top Bottom