• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I have been looking to upgrade the sights on my M&P 9 and XS big dot sights seem to get pretty good reviews.

Any of you folks use these things?

thanks!

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I installed a pair on my Glock 26 about 7 years ago, and I like them for what they are. They are fast but not extremely precise.

My preferred sights now are the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights. I feel that they are as fast (or faster) than the big dots. I like the bright orange front sight much better for fast target acquisition, I feel like it draws the eye in better on a variety of backgrounds (the big dots can get washed out when shooting at a white background). I also like the rear sights better on the Hackathorns, they are wide which helps with speed, but they are also capable of good precision. The rear sights I believe are also better shaped for one handed manipulations of the firearm (not that it's impossible with the Big Dots). When my big dots eventually wear out on my Glock 26 I plan on replacing them with Hackathorns.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They are great for distances you don't need sights for. They suck for anything else. Note zero serious competition shooters use them, and competition is where hundredths of a second matter. If there was a speed advantage, you'd see them there. I am unaware of any police or military unit using them, which again is probably a clue.

Depending on what you're looking for, I'd take a look at Trijicon HDs, Warren Tactical, or Ameriglo CAP.

Trijicon HD Vs factory Sig Sights, I noted a small but noticeable gain in sight acquisition speed on the timer, and also noted the front sight was easier to track under recoil. In something like the FAST test, maybe .15 seconds total gain.

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree with what was said here so far. I use the XS sight on my 870 Home Defense shotguns for easily acquisition. I've bought a few and they have held up well and are bright enough, even over time. But I don't think they're precise enough for handguns. :twocents:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    They are great for distances you don't need sights for. They suck for anything else. Note zero serious competition shooters use them, and competition is where hundredths of a second matter. If there was a speed advantage, you'd see them there. I am unaware of any police or military unit using them, which again is probably a clue.

Depending on what you're looking for, I'd take a look at Trijicon HDs, Warren Tactical, or Ameriglo CAP.

Trijicon HD Vs factory Sig Sights, I noted a small but noticeable gain in sight acquisition speed on the timer, and also noted the front sight was easier to track under recoil. In something like the FAST test, maybe .15 seconds total gain.

I agree to an extent. In competition we are generally using fiber-optics, which I feel are too fragile for and EDC gun, so going the other way those sights wouldn't translate well in the defensive pistol world the same way the Big Dots wouldn't be great for competition. Accuracy is what kills the Big Dots for any competition role, which you rightly pointed out.

I put a set on a Beretta PX4 and have been pretty disappointed with them. They are very fast to acquire, and I can get great hits with them quickly inside 7 yards, but beyond that when you have to start aiming some it seems too difficult to hold a decent grouping. I've tried to like them and give them a chance, but just can't seem to adjust to them like I was hoping.

I completely love the Ameriglo PRO I-dots I have put on a couple of Glocks, especially the orange ones. Those jump out super fast and I can easily hold good groups at farther distances. I doubt the Big Dots are any faster honestly.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I've got the big dot on a CZ75B for my night stand piece. In the dark and at the relatively short range (inside the house) I don't think they can be beat. For the range, not so much.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I agree to an extent. In competition we are generally using fiber-optics, which I feel are too fragile for and EDC gun, so going the other way those sights wouldn't translate well in the defensive pistol world the same way the Big Dots wouldn't be great for competition. Accuracy is what kills the Big Dots for any competition role, which you rightly pointed out.

Right. We're agreeing for the most part. I'm simply pointing out that the only real requirement for competition sights is speed. If the Big Dot was faster, that's all that would be required for it to be the go-to sight for competition, regardless of robustness, etc.

I'd also point out that Big Dots aren't really faster, particularly once you get to moving targets, targets at distance, etc. The shallow rear sight takes longer for the mind to work into a proper sight picture than the traditional square or u-notch rears. What it does do is let you find the front sight fast. For distances were simply indexing would lead to good hits, that's usually "good enough" for defensive purposes. I suspect if anyone who likes Big Dots with the shallow rear sight used a timer on a set of targets at different distances from press out, then replicated the same test with HDs, etc. they'd find the Big Dots aren't actually as fast as they think they are.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My wife called them BUG EYES, when I put a set on her Glock.
    For a small EDC I didn't think they were bad.
    On a small EDC its basically point and shoot anyway.
    But I removed them and put Trijicons back on.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had them on a G27 and G19. I point shoot at close distances anyway, so they really didn't help with the short range shots and were awful on stuff over 10 yards.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I had a set of XS Big Dot tritium on a Glock 36. They are more like the sights on an "express rifle", being a large dot with a shallow "V" with tritium post. In the dark, one "dots the I". They are fine for shooting across a room when you need them in a hurry. At distance, not so much.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    OP, where are you located? I have a set that I used on my EDC a while back. They are still in good shape. I could make you a deal on them if you are wanting to test something out. I have a sight pusher for the M&P as well... which makes a big difference.

Send me a PM if you have any interest.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I had some and now I have trijicon HD's. I never got the hang of the sight picture with the big dots, especially when shooting beyond 20 yards.

I love my HD's. They are good night sights and they are great for one handed manipulations.

I don't hate the big dots, but I doubt I will put them on a pistol ever again.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Ordered 3 pairs of HD Car's last week, will be glad to share my thoughts when they come in.

Hard to believe it cost $500 for 3 pairs of sights, my blue label Glock was cheaper.

Top Bottom