• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    A couple of months ago I had my annual eye exam. I had one pair every day lenses made and one pair of "shooting" glasses with my dominant eye set up to focus on my front sight. With my everyday lenses, I tip my head back to focus on the front sight. I placed 16 of 17 rounds on the target. The hits are slightly left and low.

With the shooting glasses, I am shooting lower with a tighter group. Placed 11 of 17 on target. Same pistol, distance and load.

Any ideas on the differences? Thanks

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    "So this guy, he puts his contacts in, and he can see better!" - John Madden.

The groups is smaller because you can see better. That, or it's a fluke. You need to re-shoot that a couple times to see if it's consistent. I'd also re-shoot the groups on a target more conducive to precision...but that's just me.

You also need to regulate those sights a little to the right. That, or regulate your finger to do the same. Make sure you aren't gripping your whole hand when you are trying to pull just the trigger.

As far as the elevation on target: ignore it. It's just a zero. Move the sights, and resume punching pins.

-Nate

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So it looks like the new glasses worked for you. Not knowing where your were aiming, because you have a real crappy target for checking groups/zero, it's hard to offer much more. Although if the FS is blurry, you will often hit a little higher because you can't tell where the top of the post is

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Buy cheap readers and remove the lens from the side that doesn't cover your dominant eye, shoot with both eyes open.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    yeah, for me, having bifocals is tough. As far as the target, I disagree. If you are a pin shooter, I think it is a good idea, then you need to use that target for reference. 'Hit the white part'.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I went to America Best in south Holland Il. for no line shooting glasses.
    I brought along a AIRSOFT 1911.
    I explained to the optometrists

exactly what I wanted they qouted over $400.00.
    when I picked up the glasses. They redesigned the lens to normal reading lens and distance.
    They said what I wanted was not normal.
    I demanded and received my money back.
    I went to Eyeglass Emporium in Granger In.
    I again I took my airsoft.
    for $80.00 I got two pairs of the best shooting glasses.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Most any decent optometrist CAN give you the exact lens for what you need, for every single purpose under the sun.

But most won't.

Your best bet is to learn the science yourself, then, armed with that knowledge (not an airsoft pistol), find yourself an optometrist that will listen, and get what you need.

But hey, don't expect cheap, and it may be a little wait as well. That is the nature of custom.

-Nate

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I worked with my optometrist to get the ideal contact lens setup for everyday wear and shooting sports. The optimal setup for me was to have my "non-dominant" eye given focus to infinity, and my dominant eye was given focus in the mid-range. this allows me to see my front sight all the time, but I can still see perfectly at distance. It took some time to get used to this setup, but it works very well for me. Each eye does what it does best and the brain works out the difference.

This setup also helps my ability to work with a computer, since I do that all day long.

The only additional lenses I need are for up close work and reading... Cheap readers still fill this bill for me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    With the assistance of an AIRSOFT. I now have two pairs of great no line shooting glasses for $80.00.
    That is greatest thing about the U.S. of A..
    You can go to where you choose and pay what every you want.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I do that I can't see the target:(

Bob

I can either see the front post or the target. Not both. I have all kinds of challenges with vision and I see 20/20. I just need "readers" for up close stuff. Sucks.

I thought I finally came up with a workable system in which I place opaque tape over my left lens and a reader in my right lens.(I'm cross dominant, btw. Right handed/left eyed). This works fine until I have to switch to left handed shooting, especially with a rifle like this weekend's carbine course. At that point, I'm basically blind.:)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You can go to where you choose and pay what every you want.

Not really.

The more specific requirements you add, the fewer businesses can deliver (or WANT to deliver) what you ask.

Lower supply = higher price, and usually, longer wait.

Sorry for the economics lesson, but what you said just isn't true, and particularly not for specialized--and custom--shooting optics.

-Nate

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you have a bounce back will your $80 glasses protect your eyes? [FONT=&quot]When it comes to shooting glasses I will only use polycarbon as I want the best protection I can get covering my eyes. Take a old pair of the glasses and shoot with a .22 and see what happens. Standard lens will shatter which will put plastic or glass in your eyes.[/FONT]

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Not to take away from your message Warren, but there's not a pair of ballistic goggles out there that will stop a .22LR fired straight into them....much less your run-of-the-mill shooting glasses.

It doesn't matter if you DO make them out of polycarbonate. (unless it's 1/2" thick)

-Nate

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I shoot best in a pair of readers.
    My 15 yd groups are just a couple of inches with a glock 19. That's good for my old eyes. I used to be a lot better shot but now I can't see to pin point the shots like I used to.
    My shooting went to hell a couple of years ago. I never made the connection to my new glasses and the groups getting larger. I changed guns, ammo, grips, trigger weight, sights, etc.
    Nothing made much of a difference until I realized it was my eyes.
    I've been to the eye doc 3 times this month and my NEW glasses don't work for me. I can't see out of them. I can't see the dashboard in my car, can't see the lanes to drive in, can't read anything with them, can't see far away... yadda yadda yadda. My new prescription is right, my glasses are made right, but I AM NOT RIGHT. So... My eye doc put my old prescription in some new frames and I should be good to go. Apparently I'm not open to change when it comes to being able to see. I'm funny about that. I want to be able to see when I get new glasses. Guess I'm asking for too much

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I know glasses won't stop a .22 but see how your "reading" glasses flagment. Can happen with a hard bounce back but saftey lens are a lot better on a hard bounce back. Have had good shooting glasses chip in the front but did not come though. What I understand polycarbonate is the strongest saftey lens out there right now.

Top Bottom