• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've been away for a while and I feel bad asking 2 questions right off the bat. Anyways, I was in downtown Indy today at the canal. I noticed a "Safe Place" sign outside at the paddle boat rental. You know, the big yellow and black 'I need a hug' sign? Every time I see that, and I know I have my pistol on me, I feel kind of guilty.

1. What are the repercussions for carrying a CCW, (licensed), in a "safe place?"
    2. I tend to disarm when I see this sign for a library, or a fire station or a building that has these signs. This sign was outside and in public. Is it just for the paddle boat rental hut, or is it the entire canal that I can't carry my pistol?

Any insight on the topic is most appreciated.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Every branch of Centier Bank in NWI has that sign. I OC and use the Hammond, Schererville, Saint John, Gary and Highland branches often and they have never said a word.

BTW the last robbery at the Strack's Crown point branch was by an unarmed man with a note.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You having a firearm in there makes it a safer place. It's not illegal unless the sign is on a school, daycare or another place prohibited by state/fed law.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That would be for OCers right. CCers would not want to lose the advantage.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There was a letter to the editor in today's Journal Gazette, a gentleman left his handgun in the car while he attended the Tin Caps game - it was stolen.

He blamed the organization and their rules; I blame him for not just walking past the signs and smirking, like he should. And he wrote he has a "concealed carry permit" which didn't raise my opinion of him.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    There was a letter to the editor in today's Journal Gazette, a gentleman left his handgun in the car while he attended the Tin Caps game - it was stolen.

He blamed the organization and their rules; I blame him for not just walking past the signs and smirking, like he should. And he wrote he has a "concealed carry permit" which didn't raise my opinion of him.

I would blame him for not putting the gun out of sight in his car.

Maybe he didn't want to risk "security" finding it and ejecting him, though if I know there are no detectors or wanding, I walk right in with mine.

indiana36Bravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Boone/Tipp. Countys
    I've been away for a while and I feel bad asking 2 questions right off the bat. Anyways, I was in downtown Indy today at the canal. I noticed a "Safe Place" sign outside at the paddle boat rental. You know, the big yellow and black 'I need a hug' sign? Every time I see that, and I know I have my pistol on me, I feel kind of guilty.

1. What are the repercussions for carrying a CCW, (licensed), in a "safe place?"
    2. I tend to disarm when I see this sign for a library, or a fire station or a building that has these signs. This sign was outside and in public. Is it just for the paddle boat rental hut, or is it the entire canal that I can't carry my pistol?

I think you should look into what the sign stands for. it isn't "gun free zone" sign. it's truthfully for youth if in need is a place for them to go if they are in danger.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

1. None. You can open carry or "conceal and carry" or JFC.

2. Why are we disarming? Leaving it in your vehicle is far less safe than leaving it your holster. Why are we (as a gun culture) leaving guns here there and everywhere?

The only advantage of a pistol is portability. If I have to "leave" a gun somewhere, it's going to be an M14.

Pistol boy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Griffith
    1. None. You can open carry or "conceal and carry" or JFC.

2. Why are we disarming? Leaving it in your vehicle is far less safe than leaving it your holster. Why are we (as a gun culture) leaving guns here there and everywhere?

The only advantage of a pistol is portability. If I have to "leave" a gun somewhere, it's going to be an M14.

agree 100 percent. Always have it on you. Even in the stores that have a no gun sign.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I would blame him for not putting the gun out of sight in his car.

Maybe he didn't want to risk "security" finding it and ejecting him, though if I know there are no detectors or wanding, I walk right in with mine.

Why do you assume he didn't put it out of sight. Someone broke into his car and stole his property. That's like saying you blame the woman for being raped cause she wore a low cut shirt.

Blame the criminal. The one who broke the law.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Why do you assume he didn't put it out of sight. Someone broke into his car and stole his property. That's like saying you blame the woman for being raped cause she wore a low cut shirt.

Blame the criminal. The one who broke the law.

Yes it is ultimately the criminals fault for stealing, however, if he left it in plain sight then he was just asking to have it stolen.

I don't know if he hid it or not, just that a car is more likely to get broken into if the criminal can see something he wants.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think you should look into what the sign stands for. it isn't "gun free zone" sign. it's truthfully for youth if in need is a place for them to go if they are in danger.

Safe Place has nothing to do with guns. It's supposed to mean someone there is trained in youth intervention. A place for a runaway to go, as an example.

What is Safe Place? | National Safe Place

Bingo.

No need to disarm and no need for everyone to get their panties twisted.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes it is ultimately the criminals fault for stealing, however, if he left it in plain sight then he was just asking to have it stolen.

I don't know if he hid it or not, just that a car is more likely to get broken into if the criminal can see something he wants.
    I can't image he did leave it in plain sight. There was a number of cars broken into that night.

Of course the criminal is at fault and should lose a at least his pinky finger, but...

Top Bottom