• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    This month I had the pleasure of taking one of my friends shooting for the very first time. He had never shot a gun of any kind, had only held one of mine before and was definitely terrified of it. It was fun to walk through the basic gun safety rules, and how to operate the firearms, everything from the ground up. It was even a learning experience for me as it was the first time I had the chance to teach someone else, I think it taught me a few lessons too. I didn't know if he would like shooting, and wasn't going to be surprised if the outing didn't last long. Started out with a 22 rifle, moved up to a 22 revolver, 38 special. We even stepped on up to 357, and finally a 12 gauge. I was pleasantly surprised that he actually wanted to keep shooting and we used all the ammo I brought! Very fun to give someone who was extremely wary of firearms, and show him how fun they can be if you follow the rules of safety. I won't say I converted someone into a diehard gunner, but at least there is one more person that's a bit more familiar with firearms! How was your own experience teaching someone new to the world of firearms?

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Great job! In my opinion, there are few things more rewarding and enjoyable than sharing a passion with someone else. I hope he continues to develop his skills and finds a lifelong joy in shooting. Just don't tell him how much the addiction costs.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Good job. I always cut the first lesson a little short if they are enjoying themselves. It makes them immediately demand a 2nd go at the range at a later date. If they actually go twice getting them to go a third time is a charm... and then they are usually hooked for good. :)

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Even if he's not hooked or even interested...you have still managed to help educate someone on the safety of firearms. That is the most important thing anyone new can learn. I've been hammering that into my 9yr old son and it really shows majorly. That said..most people (unless your a panzy news guy) will want more after doing it once properly.

Good job!

Endrin2113

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Plainfield
    Also extremely important, apart from safety being #1, is we now may have one more on our side. The more people that understand that guns aren't evil and it's people that are, the more pro 2A people we have.

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    How was your own experience teaching someone new to the world of firearms?

I have taught my wife, can't say she became a good shooter, but now she thinks it is very cool! We even have made a small video about it. In order not to think too much about her safety, I used a 1/4 size gun. :): I think, it was the reason why she liked it so much. Girls like stuff like that.

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    One thing I have disliked seeing, in regards to new shooters, is the one teaching going all out and starting off big to watch them get scared or freak out from shooting a firearm. After watching videos on youtube of this happening I could not help but shake my head some.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    A couple weeks ago at a family get together my brother in law mentioned he had never shot a firearm. I told him we would dip out for a hour and I will show him the basics. It wasn't ideal but all I had was my 1911 in 45 and a sd40 my dad keeps on his dresser. Brother struggled for a few mags but with a few tips started putting holes in paper. He was hooked instantly and has hit me up a couple times about getting out again. It's fun seeing someone catch the bug.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I started teaching my 11 year old grandson about firearms this year....As others said, its also been a learning experience for me....the best part is that he is truly interested and asks many questions...we did some firearms basics the first couple of times and I let him handle an unloaded handgun and rifle while teaching and actually doing "hands on" exercises. So far he has done very well...he did tell me he thinks he will "Ace the final exam" LOL....very good experience so far and a great bonding experience as well....

Top Bottom