• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Would it be legal to carry a holstered, loaded handgun on one's hip while driving an Ag tractor on an Indiana public road? The tractor is being operated on a road it is allowed to be on (county). Person has LTCH. Supposedly no, that the gun must be unloaded and secured in a case or have a trigger lock because it falls under ORV (Off Road Vehicle).

I believe this is the code involved..... IC 14-16-1-23

But under 14 (B)?? it says exempt if "person has been issued a unlimited (?) handgun license to carry handgun under IC 35-47-2 (what's "unlimited")

Can someone help with this?

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I do not believe that there are any additional restrictions on carry while operating farm vehicles beyond those on carrying while operating any other kinds of vehicles. If you have a LTCH you are legal except for those places defined as off limits:
     In or On School Property. 35-47-9-2 (In Vehicle in parking lot OK. See Parking Lot Storage Section)
     On A School Bus. 35-47-9-2
     IC 35-47-9-1 Allows the carry of firearms by persons permitted to possess and who are transporting a person to or from school or a school function.
     On a Commercial or Charter Aircraft. 35-47-6
     Controlled Access Areas of An Airport 35-47-6-1.3 & 35-47-6-1.4
     State Fair Grounds 80 IAC 11-2-2 (Must lock in Vehicle.)
     Shipping Port 130 IAC 4-1-8 (Controlled by the Indiana Port Commission)

An unlimited license is a LTCH, which allows you to carry a loaded handgun while operating a vehicle (doesn't apply to long guns). If you don't have an LTCH, the handgun has to be unloaded and in a case while transporting in your vehicle. There used to be licenses that only permitted the transportation of a handgun and use of the handgun at a range or for hunting - I believe that is what is referred to as a limited license. I don't know if they still issue those or not, could not find anything about it on the ISP website. The term "unlimited" has nothing to do with whether the LTCH is a lifetime or 4-year license.

Bottom line, if you have an LTCH, you have an unlimited license and you can carry while operating farm equipment.

Last edited:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    An unlimited license is a LTCH. There used to be licenses that only permitted the transportation of a handgun and use of the handgun at a range or for hunting - that is a limited license. I don't know if they still have those or not.

They haven't had those for many years. I can't remember when they changed over to the LTCH we currently have but it replaces the licenses. There was also verbiage added about how to carry to a range without the LTCH.

OP as Mark 1911 said you shouldn't have any problem with it on your tractor as long as you stay away from certain areas.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    They haven't had those for many years. I can't remember when they changed over to the LTCH we currently have but it replaces the licenses. There was also verbiage added about how to carry to a range without the LTCH.

OP as Mark 1911 said you shouldn't have any problem with it on your tractor as long as you stay away from certain areas.

The 4 year and lifetime Hunting and Target licenses still exist, as well as a 4 year personal protection. A lifetime personal protection permit is just an option.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Wondered this yesterday, was running the brush cutter along the road on our property. Have a holster attached to the rollover bar on the tractor that always has a gun in it if I am on the tractor. Drive the tractor on the county roads along the perimeter, stop the tractor along the ditch line.

Don

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If the person has an LTCH then that person is good to go.

As Mark 1911 stated - the regular no-go places are still no-go places for them as they are for most of the rest of us.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Would it be legal to carry a holstered, loaded handgun on one's hip while driving an Ag tractor on an Indiana public road? The tractor is being operated on a road it is allowed to be on (county). Person has LTCH. Supposedly no, that the gun must be unloaded and secured in a case or have a trigger lock because it falls under ORV (Off Road Vehicle).

I believe this is the code involved..... IC 14-16-1-23

But under 14 (B)?? it says exempt if "person has been issued a unlimited (?) handgun license to carry handgun under IC 35-47-2 (what's "unlimited")

Can someone help with this?

Gary, Title 14 is the critter law. Aimed at poachers. So, no long guns (on public roads), unless unloaded and cased up.

You are just fine carrying on a tractor as long as you have your pink card. A LTCH exempts you from (a)(9).

"Unlimited" means not the hunting and target shooting LTCH.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Gary, Title 14 is the critter law. Aimed at poachers. So, no long guns (on public roads), unless unloaded and cased up.

You are just fine carrying on a tractor as long as you have your pink card. A LTCH exempts you from (a)(9).

"Unlimited" means not the hunting and target shooting LTCH.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge pro sonny bono with INGO....I had my little Rossi .410 youth in the back of my UTV and accidentally forgot to take it out when I went down the road 1/4 mile to park it in my neighbors garage...I would have had no idea I was illegal....It was unloaded but not in a case...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge pro sonny bono with INGO....I had my little Rossi .410 youth in the back of my UTV and accidentally forgot to take it out when I went down the road 1/4 mile to park it in my neighbors garage...I would have had no idea I was illegal....It was unloaded but not in a case...

And you likely using it as self-defense against snakes or whatever critters you have way down there and had no intent to do anything else.

Don't get me wrong, not endorsing the law (I think regulation of actions, e.g. actually poaching, is far more effective), but we should be aware, as knowing is half the battle.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    And you likely using it as self-defense against snakes or whatever critters you have way down there and had no intent to do anything else.

The .410 single shot, be it a "snake charmer" or a small inexpensive youth shotgun, seems to be a fixture on most folks in the county's side by UTV's or ATV's...

After years of knocking the "Judge" and the "Governor" as useless it seems I may have to rethink my position....

IMHO there should be a .410 exclusion to that law...Or as you said, just arrest people for poaching...

Or maybe I just need to get this....:)

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Just a quick thought. If you are following behind a farm tractor with a chain wrapped around a couple telephone poles. dragging them down a state road, you should hang back more than 5 feet. Nothing happened that I know of but had a pole come loose......

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks everyone for the replys. The code I listed is one I found.

The story goes "no loaded firearms on an off road vehicle / snowmobile. Must be unloaded, in a case or with trigger lock"

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Rossi single-shot .410 pistol that would be perfect for just these occasions.
    I believe it has a 10" barrel.
    Or, the Judge would work as well.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I think they modified the UTV/ATV law a couple years ago to specifically say you could carry a handgun with a pemit. Think they also modified it so you could carry a long gun on you own property loaded and out of a case. It used to prohibit it on your own dang property.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have a Rossi single-shot .410 pistol that would be perfect for just these occasions.
    I believe it has a 10" barrel.
    Or, the Judge would work as well.

I have a judge with about a 3" barrel. I think the thing that holds it back from being an effective snake gun is the barrel length. I don't think it gets enough oompf with that short of a barrel. I bet a 8 or 10" barrel gets more out of the .410, but that's just guessing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a judge with about a 3" barrel. I think the thing that holds it back from being an effective snake gun is the barrel length. I don't think it gets enough oompf with that short of a barrel. I bet a 8 or 10" barrel gets more out of the .410, but that's just guessing.

Yes, the extra barrel length does help with the Rossi, but it is a single-shot.
    My Judge wears a 4" barrel, and it actually doesn't do too bad.
    I really didn't want the 6" barrel. Not sure why?

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I think they modified the UTV/ATV law a couple years ago to specifically say you could carry a handgun with a pemit. Think they also modified it so you could carry a long gun on you own property loaded and out of a case. It used to prohibit it on your own dang property.

Would like to find that. Be a lot easier down on the farm.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    The Judge works fine for a snake gun. I have to dispatch copperheads, cotton mouths, and rattlesnakes here in NC. They have to go because I can't afford the hospital costs of treating a venomous snake bite. I have already spent $400+ dollars on treating one of my dogs this year. Black racers, rat snakes, and garter snakes have free roam of my property.

Top Bottom