Suggestions for Optics on an AR-10 for Wild Boar?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Looking at a trip to Texas or Missouri sometime this year for wild pig. Thinking about using my AR-10, but needs some glass. I know there's a world of choices out there. Would like to hear your ideas.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Hard to put a black reticle on a black hog. I have to find horizon then settle black on black and squeez. It works although not ideal. I like low power with 50mm objective. Easy to pull up fast and shoot both eyes open.

I asked people who guide what the ideal gun setup is and they all agreed on 30-30 with open sights.

TX may be more open country I don't know. I hunted TN and FL. Both really close inside of 100yrds. Shotgun with slugs worked great. Heck the 38spl revolver dropped them quick shooting right off the swamp buggy. Hilarious!

You don't have to spend a bunch to whack and stack. They die with whatever you shoot them with.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    How are they on accuracy? Similar to an Aimpoint?

I like the Trijicons (who wouldn't!), not familiar with that particular model, will look into it. I did read up on the VCOG 1-6x24, they are really nice.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Tritium Front with a 10-8 rear..oh optics.... on an AR-10 . Seriously excellent choice in weapon. Most of our guys run a quality low power illuminated variable. Have had excellent results with a 1-4 but going to a Burris XTR2 1.5-8 this year just to get a little more precision for day long shots. You also may consider an offset RMR for close in (especially night) pop up shots as my buddy is running with an ACOG below. How you will be hunting matters. Mission drives gear

attachment.php

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am a big fan of Trijicons ne 1-8 really nice scope , but as usual the recommendations are based upon your intended budget.

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    I would have to ask if this is mainly day time hunting and at what range. I looked at some different optics for my AR10 and went with Athlon Optics. They have some 1-6 in SFP with illumination for a good price and quality. They also have stellar customer service, the first one I got had issues. Owner sent me a new one before I had even shipped back the damaged one. Also have life time warranty.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm thinking primarily daytime. Thermal is very expensive, heavy too. I'm wondering what kind of visibility Trijicon ACOG affords in no light, if it works that may be an option.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Tritium Front with a 10-8 rear..oh optics.... on an AR-10 . Seriously excellent choice in weapon. Most of our guys run a quality low power illuminated variable. Have had excellent results with a 1-4 but going to a Burris XTR2 1.5-8 this year just to get a little more precision for day long shots. You also may consider an offset RMR for close in (especially night) pop up shots as my buddy is running with an ACOG below. How you will be hunting matters. Mission drives gear

I'll second the XTR2. My 1-8 is a thing of beauty.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'm thinking primarily daytime. Thermal is very expensive, heavy too. I'm wondering what kind of visibility Trijicon ACOG affords in no light, if it works that may be an option.
    I researched it for quite awhile before I could talk myself into the thermal, because it is stupid expensive. Eventually, I sold a couple guns, and bought it. I'm fired up about going, and I think I've got my bases covered from 20 yards to about 600 night or day. I can't wait!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I researched it for quite awhile before I could talk myself into the thermal, because it is stupid expensive. Eventually, I sold a couple guns, and bought it. I'm fired up about going, and I think I've got my bases covered from 20 yards to about 600 night or day. I can't wait!

I'll be interested in how it works for you, never have seen one. I did see some small units advertised recently for game recovery instead of sights.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    That's a great picture, does the sight have USB or something like it?
    It's Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth, and records to a micro SD card. It looks like a scope, but it's actually a thermal camera, a computer, then a TV for the eyepiece.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good luck with it hunting, I would say send some pictures, but it sounds like the scope will provide those for you.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Looking at a trip to Texas or Missouri sometime this year for wild pig. Thinking about using my AR-10, but needs some glass. I know there's a world of choices out there. Would like to hear your ideas.

I would go with a rugged mid range variable with illuminated reticle to cover any situation. Even in full daylight it can be hard to see a black crosshair on a dark hog in heavy cover. There is a high probability that you are going to find yourself hunting in thick cover at fairly close range at some point and both the lower end magnification and the illuminated reticle will pay dividends especially if you have to shoot quickly. What is your budget? Natchez Shooters Supply has Leupold VX-R 3x9's with illuminated reticles that should work well for $399. You can also find Weaver 1-4.5x24 with a German #4 Illuminated reticle for around $190-$230.

Top Bottom