• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winchest55

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    ANDERSON
    What is the law on shooting outside of city limits in the country near your house. Is there a certain distance you must be away from a house when shooting? Also someone elses land, no house just someone elses property?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm also interested. I think the primary restriction is if firearms are allowed to be discharged for that purpose within your town at all. Many towns require you to be "outside town limits," if the town has a local ordinance prohibiting discharging a weapon. Beyond that I can't cite a specific law, aside from using common sense and sufficient safety precautions.

Begin Rant:

I know the town I grew up in enacted a really crappy law that pissed a lot of people off. This is a tiny town of 800 residents, and many had very large properties and many were farmers. The town completely banned the use of firearms for any purpose, and effectively banned hunting. Bow and arrow were also restricted, requiring 10 acres or more for it to be legal to shoot a bow at all. Anything less is considered unsafe.

Banning hunting like that for people who have 50 acre farms really ticks me off, and I'm not a hunter. Hunting is a lot of peoples' passion. The deer population is out of control as it is anyways. There are more deer in North America now than there were when Columbus sailed here.

Bows and arrows are unsafe on less than 10 acres of land? Give me a break! I grew up on 6 acres with woods on all sides of the property. Really stupid.

Also the law was written in such a way that it effectively applied itself to BB guns and probably Paintball guns too. Punishment was something like a $7500 fine and 5 years in jail for a second offense. Freaking liberals. :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Thought it used to be 100 yds. from someone else's house. Projectiles weren't supposed to leave your property. Can't find this info in new 2009-2010 hunting guide. Maybe IN DNR website will show.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    On flat wide open ground like much of central and northern Indiana is, I think common sense should be the biggest player. Have a good backstop located where no miss is gonna knock out the neighbor's window, or cow, or kid. Practice safe shooting. Learn your local regs, if any. Just common sense stuff.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Right after the Hollywood shootout a neighbor (town board member) cut across 2 other properties to yell at for me shooting behind the house. We had a 4-5 ton pile of fill dirt, 20+ acres of farmland sloping upwards to a wood line then another open field (50+ acres) and another wood line as the backstop.

I happened to be firing an AR (testing a new build), .22 pistol and a shotty into an old stump in front of the dirt mound in front of the above mentioned landscape....

He went off blabing about how "does someone have to killed to get us to stop shooting out here?" And he was going to call the Mooresville police. Well, for starters, we live outside of Mooresville City limits, secondly the Sheriff has to respond from Martinsville and lastly I advised him that he just tresspassed across 2 properties to come over and almost get shot on my land!!!

I called the Sheriff, the operator put a deputy on the line and he stated that there really wasnt any regulations per say, but to be safe and use common sense. While the neighbor was still standing there I asked if lethal force was advised on a tresspasser.... needless to say the neighbor left and the deputy said he didnt advise that in this situation unless I felt my life was being threatened.

I also asked about a backstop, hunting rules pertaining to distances from roads, buildings etc.... he replied that while those were definately good guidelines he didnt think they applied to target practice on private property, also stating that while hunting theres no backstops.

All of the hunting guidelines state x amount from a road, no shooting over water etc.... but I could not locate the same language in the state or county laws.... looks like they only pertain to hunting situations?

Anyhow, prior to some houses being built back in the farthest fields I shot alot over 14 years out here and that was the only complaint. Now we fire some rimfire and only test major calibers at close range (to be safe) using that stump and dirt pile.... I just use common sense, fire at close range and during daylight hours (being an old night shifter, I respect the early morning and evening hours).

Of course, there are laws that can be broken: shooting after hours violates the noise ordinances, obviously if someones property gets shot or god forbid a person is shot.

And with the few instances of stray bullets hitting and killing people, I have really restricted my shooting to occassional, mostly rimfire and close ranges.

YMMV but that was my expierence and advice from my local SD.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    I'm also interested. I think the primary restriction is if firearms are allowed to be discharged for that purpose within your town at all. Many towns require you to be "outside town limits," if the town has a local ordinance prohibiting discharging a weapon. Beyond that I can't cite a specific law, aside from using common sense and sufficient safety precautions.

Begin Rant:

I know the town I grew up in enacted a really crappy law that pissed a lot of people off. This is a tiny town of 800 residents, and many had very large properties and many were farmers. The town completely banned the use of firearms for any purpose, and effectively banned hunting. Bow and arrow were also restricted, requiring 10 acres or more for it to be legal to shoot a bow at all. Anything less is considered unsafe.

Banning hunting like that for people who have 50 acre farms really ticks me off, and I'm not a hunter. Hunting is a lot of peoples' passion. The deer population is out of control as it is anyways. There are more deer in North America now than there were when Columbus sailed here.

Bows and arrows are unsafe on less than 10 acres of land? Give me a break! I grew up on 6 acres with woods on all sides of the property. Really stupid.

Also the law was written in such a way that it effectively applied itself to BB guns and probably Paintball guns too. Punishment was something like a $7500 fine and 5 years in jail for a second offense. Freaking liberals. :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

What a total violation of your constitutional rights.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Right after the Hollywood shootout a neighbor (town board member) cut across 2 other properties to yell at for me shooting behind the house. We had a 4-5 ton pile of fill dirt, 20+ acres of farmland sloping upwards to a wood line then another open field (50+ acres) and another wood line as the backstop.

I happened to be firing an AR (testing a new build), .22 pistol and a shotty into an old stump in front of the dirt mound in front of the above mentioned landscape....

He went off blabing about how "does someone have to killed to get us to stop shooting out here?" And he was going to call the Mooresville police. Well, for starters, we live outside of Mooresville City limits, secondly the Sheriff has to respond from Martinsville and lastly I advised him that he just tresspassed across 2 properties to come over and almost get shot on my land!!!

I called the Sheriff, the operator put a deputy on the line and he stated that there really wasnt any regulations per say, but to be safe and use common sense. While the neighbor was still standing there I asked if lethal force was advised on a tresspasser.... needless to say the neighbor left and the deputy said he didnt advise that in this situation unless I felt my life was being threatened.

I also asked about a backstop, hunting rules pertaining to distances from roads, buildings etc.... he replied that while those were definately good guidelines he didnt think they applied to target practice on private property, also stating that while hunting theres no backstops.

All of the hunting guidelines state x amount from a road, no shooting over water etc.... but I could not locate the same language in the state or county laws.... looks like they only pertain to hunting situations?

Anyhow, prior to some houses being built back in the farthest fields I shot alot over 14 years out here and that was the only complaint. Now we fire some rimfire and only test major calibers at close range (to be safe) using that stump and dirt pile.... I just use common sense, fire at close range and during daylight hours (being an old night shifter, I respect the early morning and evening hours).

Of course, there are laws that can be broken: shooting after hours violates the noise ordinances, obviously if someones property gets shot or god forbid a person is shot.

And with the few instances of stray bullets hitting and killing people, I have really restricted my shooting to occassional, mostly rimfire and close ranges.

YMMV but that was my expierence and advice from my local SD.

I moved to the country to get away from idiot neighbors. I see it didn't work too well for you. +1 to you for not cowering.

We have some new neighbors moving in any day now. From what we hear, they're a bit "uptight". I'm looking forward to seeing their reaction to our shooting in the backyard. But really I figure, it's my property, I'm using common sense, I'm not breaking any laws, I don't care what the new neighbors think. :draw:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    All of the hunting guidelines state x amount from a road,...?

There's no law stating any specific distance from the road. Just "not from the road".

Shooting from the road = NO. Step off the road and shoot = OK.

The confusion comes from the specific definition of "road". The road you may not shoot from is defined as all of the public right of way. There is no reliable way to predict what that may be other than if the land on the side of the road is fenced. You can be reasonably sure the land owner is aware of what land is in his personal control. The right of way for state owned road ways will be beyond the pavement. Most county roads were never purchased by any govening body. In this case the public right of way is the edge of the pavement or "commonly traversed area". When you step off the pavement you are tresspassing at he land owners descretion.

brown trix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Morgan County
    I also moved farther out from Mooresville to Monrovia, but they (the idiots) follow me
    I have my own 120 yard range from my back deck and 300 from the front of my property,so what does my new neighbor do from his back deck which is 700 feet
    from my house he test fires his old 1911 at a stump with my house in view, needless
    to say I had some words for him, you think he would figure it out, but no this same
    guy was showing the woods and creek to his brother in-laws last deer season and
    just walks up to my stand for the intro, "You guys huntin" and my answer, Yea Elmer Fudd:dunno:
    time with my son hunting gone and now shooting towards my house may be I should
    return the invite with a rsvp, M1a1 style, na not worth the effort, towards my house
    and family I think I made my point

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    if you are not hurting or disturbing your nieghbors or anyone else, you should be able to do what ever you want to on your own property, after all we are supposed to be free right.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    We have not had any problems at the family "Range" in Noble Co. Wooded area with backstop built by my father and I. My main concern would be unauthorized usage, more than complaints from neighbors.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i believe atleast in my area it is/was 300 yards from neighbors house.like i said not sure but that number was sticking in my head for some reason.

Top Bottom