• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cow35f

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Mulberry, IN
    I have a friend the resides In Illinois. I have an Indiana permit, can I take a hand gunn to Il to practice shooting with my friend?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Yes, how depends on if you have a CCW from Indiana or not. If not you must transport it unloaded and in a case. If you do have your CCW you may carry loaded and concealed inside your vehicle. After you are on private property and have permission you may carry however your host is happy with. Jim.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yes, how depends on if you have a CCW from Indiana or not. If not you must transport it unloaded and in a case. If you do have your CCW you may carry loaded and concealed inside your vehicle. After you are on private property and have permission you may carry however your host is happy with. Jim.

I'll be that guy. Indiana has CCW's now, wow. LOL Seriously though I use to shoot PPC matches in Illinois and several out of state residence shoot IPSC local as well as Area 5 championships at PASA park. Never been an issue. Up until a couple years ago Illinois had better fun laws on transporting handguns than I Diana did. You were Technically​illegal if you didn't have a LTCH or LE I'd under LEOSA transporting even an unloaded gun in Indiana.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You take your gun to IL and you shoot it. Easy peasy.

You can even CARRY it - provided you don't get out of your vehicle anywhere but on their private property (if they allow it)

If you don't want to carry it, you put it in a case w/ mag out, and put the case in the trunk.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So...on private property in IL and if allowed by the owner of said property, you CAN have your gun with you in a case or even out and loaded if you have a LTCH from a different state as a non resident?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Private property rules are pretty much the same in IL as they are in IN.

No carry permit required....though IL property owner probably needs a FOID card if they own firearms.

This is provided that you STAY on the private property.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    SO even if the person I am visiting and staying on their property doesn't have a FOID card, I can possess my gun on their property with their permission regardless of what condition it is in, loaded/unloaded/cased or not

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    SO even if the person I am visiting and staying on their property doesn't have a FOID card, I can possess my gun on their property with their permission regardless of what condition it is in, loaded/unloaded/cased or not

Your good, the only thing a FOID card does is allow them to buy firearms and ammo (you don't need a FOID to buy reloading components) If you have a LTCH you can buy ammo in Illinois.

Your good to go . Just don't get out at a gas station etc with your firearm loaded u less you have an LE ID carrying under LEOSA

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Awesome guys. I'll keep researching the actual law on paper that saids this though. Any links?

Also for transportation of your guns. Does a backpack count as a case?

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Just don't get out at a gas station etc with your firearm loaded u less you have an LE ID carrying under LEOSA

Why? Is a gas station not private property? I'm not trying to be argumentative - I'm just trying understand why there would be no restriction on private property owned by someone I was visiting and private property owned by Shell.

My family & I travelled across Illinois last week & I made it clear that stops in the people's republic of Illinois would limited, but with 4 kids and a wife, I was prepared to stop.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Why? Is a gas station not private property? I'm not trying to be argumentative - I'm just trying understand why there would be no restriction on private property owned by someone I was visiting and private property owned by Shell.

My family & I travelled across Illinois last week & I made it clear that stops in the people's republic of Illinois would limited, but with 4 kids and a wife, I was prepared to stop.

Because the situation that you have posited is different than the "i'm going to pull off the road at a random gas station and get gas" situation that the overwhelming majority of people would be doing.

In YOUR situation, if you were invited by the owner/manager or even worked for that gas station - chances are that, yes, you'd be perfectly legal as you'd be carrying there by invitation of the property owner/manager and only while on that private property.

In the real life instance - you'd be carrying in IL illegally as IL doesn't recognize the IN LTCH

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Because the situation that you have posited is different than the "i'm going to pull off the road at a random gas station and get gas" situation that the overwhelming majority of people would be doing.

In YOUR situation, if you were invited by the owner/manager or even worked for that gas station - chances are that, yes, you'd be perfectly legal as you'd be carrying there by invitation of the property owner/manager and only while on that private property.

In the real life instance - you'd be carrying in IL illegally as IL doesn't recognize the IN LTCH

If I understand correctly, the difference is express consent from the property owner?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I'm referring to if you are carrying a loaded handgun with an IN LTCH. You can have it loaded passing through but must leave it in your car if say you go inside for a coffee.

The only other way one is covered in Illinois is if they are carrying on LE I'd u der LEOSA then they are good.

Top Bottom