• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was in a gun shop the other day and an employee was talking to a lone young lady, who was thinking about her first purchase and was trying to get advice. The young man (employee) went all macho on her and really began trying to impress her rather than give really good advice. One thing I overheard was, "I won't trust a handgun to carry until I have fired 10,000 rounds through it!" Does he even care that there are other customers in the shop that overhear that load of bull? I heard some other opinions that I didn't agree with from others there, but they were legit opinions and they were open to debate. The young lady said that someone in her church suggested this shop because they were honest. Poor lady, she probably left more confused than when she came in. I really don't put much faith in behind the counter "gun experts", but I expect better from real gun shops than the big stores like Bass Pro.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I swear. I went in to buy a taurus 85 with a lady friend who had already made up her mind before going in. Dude tried to sell her a taurus auto. Then he said "what you really need is this you dont even have to aim" and boop drops a judge on the counter. I said i dont want to trust a couple pellets to penetrate and he says " well i can understand i carry a .45" i was ready to leave but the gun was there at a good price so we grabbed it and dipped. The taurus btw is a fine firearm its been doing well and shes very happy.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The "thing" about this, is when people who hear this stuff,

When I talk to them, all they can say is the guy at the gun shop said this .....

It is very hard to counter, for me at least .....

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I swear. I went in to buy a taurus 85 with a lady friend who had already made up her mind before going in. Dude tried to sell her a taurus auto. Then he said "what you really need is this you dont even have to aim" and boop drops a judge on the counter. I said i dont want to trust a couple pellets to penetrate and he says " well i can understand i carry a .45" i was ready to leave but the gun was there at a good price so we grabbed it and dipped. The taurus btw is a fine firearm its been doing well and shes very happy.
    Lucky she had you to have her back.! You did mean that she ended up with the revolver she wanted, didn't you?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The "thing" about this, is when people who hear this stuff,

When I talk to them, all they can say is the guy at the gun shop said this .....

It is very hard to counter, for me at least .....
    If, I hear this kind of thing again from this dip stick. I think I'll say, "I'll buy one of those super reliable pistols that has had 10,000 rounds through it. Where are they?"

nhgluff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    In my experience
    first time gun buyer/female for personal protection
    = 5 shot J frame easy simple no slide racking

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    All handguns are hard to shoot well and reload. It all requires some training. I really was hoping that this thread would stay a little on track.

I'll tey to bring it back on track then...
    To OP, I've heard some similar macho talk at the counter, like usually trying to talk the customer (a female in this case) into a gun that the employee likes, without asking what the cust wants.
    Example: They ask for a LCP and salesman pushed a glock 20 or 22.
    Or... they ask for a full size auto - 1911, beretta 92, or glock and salesman pushes a J frame.
    Advice & input are good. Pushy, agenda-driven sales are bad.
    Rock on!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    A long time ago, at the old Plainfield Shooting Supplies location, I overheard a clerk talking with a potential buyer, and understood that this would be his very first firearm and for home defense. The clerk, obviously a blowhard, told the customer: "I recommend a 12 gauge pump shotgun,shotgun, and all you`ll really have to do is rack the slide, and the prowler will crap himself before he flees." I was beside myself, and couldn`t even help it. I spun around, and told the customer: "lethal force is not a game, or a B-movie. You rack the slide of your shotgun, and you will take fire. You have that gun loaded and racked with the safety on, and if lethal force is absolutely necessary, you flip the safety off and stop the threat! The clerk looked ticked, and the customer said nothing, but I couldn`t take that silly stuff being fed to a novice.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A long time ago, at the old Plainfield Shooting Supplies location, I overheard a clerk talking with a potential buyer, and understood that this would be his very first firearm and for home defense. The clerk, obviously a blowhard, told the customer: "I recommend a 12 gauge pump shotgun,shotgun, and all you`ll really have to do is rack the slide, and the prowler will crap himself before he flees." I was beside myself, and couldn`t even help it. I spun around, and told the customer: "lethal force is not a game, or a B-movie. You rack the slide of your shotgun, and you will take fire. You have that gun loaded and racked with the safety on, and if lethal force is absolutely necessary, you flip the safety off and stop the threat! The clerk looked ticked, and the customer said nothing, but I couldn`t take that silly stuff being fed to a novice.

Well done. Rookies need the help and guidance of folks who know their business.

Tried to rep you for that, but I was told I have to spread it around first.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    In my experience
    first time gun buyer/female for personal protection
    = 5 shot J frame easy simple no slide racking

Easy to carry... hard to shoot well and reload...

All handguns are hard to shoot well and reload. It all requires some training. I really was hoping that this thread would stay a little on track.

The comment about the J Frame is the exact type of old, off the rack type gun shop stuff I hear all the time.

People recommended j frames and airweights to a 110 lb. woman. Then they shoot it and it feels like they've high fived a sledge hammer and they never want to touch it again.

I'd say it's perfectly on track with this thread.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The comment about the J Frame is the exact type of old, off the rack type gun shop stuff I hear all the time.

People recommended j frames and airweights to a 110 lb. woman. Then they shoot it and it feels like they've high fived a sledge hammer and they never want to touch it again.

I'd say it's perfectly on track with this thread.
    Most younger folks look upon revolvers as novelties, because they have absolutely no experience with them. That doesn't just go for store clerks. Of course there is a big difference in j frames. Some have shorter barrels, some have longer barrels, they come in a lot of different calibers and weights. There are so many new gun owners these days, mostly young, that anyone can tell them anything and they have no foundation of knowledge to judge whether they are being given a load of bull or good advice. Of course they are looking for good advice. Unfortunately too much of the time it comes down to the blind leading the blind. That being said, sometimes it takes us, who even have knowledge, some range time with a gun that we thought was going to be the "it" gun for us, to decide it isn't the one for us.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Many many moons ago (almost 16 years ago), I had the luxury of taking my wife to the range and introduced her to a variety of guns. Started out with a .22 rifle, and then worked up over several range trips. Eventually she decided she wanted to try trap shooting. All I had were 12g's, so we went to look for something that would fit her. In the process she shouldered a .410 to see if a youth model might fit better. The dipstick at the counter walks over and asks what we were looking for so I explained it to him. He pops off at the mouth and says...if she can't hanfle a 12g she has no business shooting trap. I about came unhinged, handed him the gun in a forceful manner and told him he didn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. Left that big box store (now going out of business) and went to a real gun shop.
    Really puts a burr under my saddle when someone shoots their mouth off and doesn't know what they are talking about

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If someone hears a load of crap like the 10,000 rounds statement then for heavens sake speak up man!

Im not talking about telling someone they should pick this brand over another because it's what you like, but somebody popping off a load of crap needs put in his place.

I always take a new shooter to the range to shoot a variety of what I have or the 50 rental guns hanging on the wall.
    A woman should always try before she buys a handgun.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Not referencing anything posted in this thread so far but, the only serious competition for gun shop BS is the internet! :):

In either case, it's hard to bite your tongue or not post a rebuttal.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Oh man there is little shop here in town I just will not go in there anymore. They talk crap and do it loudly. Asked about cleaning supplies and lube so he handed me a bottle of something for $20.00 yelled, it was the best and walked off leaving it my hands. Thought about it put the bottle down in another place and left with saying a word. Haven't been back.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    refered to taaking a course before buying

I was in Cabale's a couple years ago.
    At the gun counter there standing there was a real knock out.
    She was beautiful.
    She was looking up and down the counter.
    When the salesman approached her.
    I heard her say she needed a gun.
    He refereed her to their old gun room off to the side.
    Two salesmen talked to her for about 45 minutes.
    She was walking out.
    I approached her. I told her I had a good idea what they were talking about.
    She was a bit upset but we talked.
    I told her I had no interest in what I was about to advise.
    I gave her a card for a gun store / range on the South side of South Bend.
    Which I will not anymore.
    I assure her it was a place she would be comfortable going to.
    she relaxed when I suggested to drive by and look it over.
    If she did not like it to just drive back home.
    I told her to look it up on the internet also.
    About three months I stopped in to use the range.
    as soon as I stepped in. I knew it was her.
    It was a very friendly meeting.
    She insisted on taking me to Chick Fil.
    She talked to them. she took a course.
    She purchased a hand gun she was very happy with.

Top Bottom