• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I took my SIL to his first gun show today. There were a lot of tables, but I've never seen such a light crowd. That was good for us isle surfers, but not for the vendors. There were some very nice looking wood and metal guns of all kinds with very high prices to match. Most prices of all other merchandise was very high and there was very little selection of reloading components and other things I expected to see. I was in the market for a Kydex double magazine pouch for a double stack compact pistol. I didn't see one. One young lady had a display and said, "I don't have one, but if you had brought the magazines with you, I could have made you one for $60.00". Yeah, well if I'm going to get something made at a gun show, it had better be a good deal, otherwise I can buy something online for less money with a guarantee and I can send it back if something breaks. I think that gun shows will be getting smaller and smaller. Looks like the booming days of the gun business under the Obama scares are well over. I commented to a couple of vendors that they are looking glum and probably wish Hillary had won the election, so the "Chicken Littles" would be buying up everything they could. One of the vendors said, yeah, but if Hillary had won, we might not even be able to have a gun show at all. He may have a very good point.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Whoa there Kemosabe... I would not write the show off just yet, there are a lot of factors there..

This is a Mid summer Show, the Summer shows are always super slow..

Also the Summer show does tend to attract the high end dealers with the high end items and prices...
    (which is both good and bad). But most bargain or deal shoppers know the show will be high and
    tend to stay home or to local shows..

Now in Walking the aisles there was a lot of very nice rifles, but they really were high and dare I say over priced..
    Now over priced has a nasty judgemental tone, but in this case there were several nice rifles that were there could be had
    cheaper and in better condition over the World Wide of Webs..

Hell, now to be gloomy everyone in line was seeming asking full boat+ prices today... But a high end show
    will do that.

I would wait for that Fall / Winter shows before worrying too much.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Whoa there Kemosabe... I would not write the show off just yet, there are a lot of factors there..

This is a Mid summer Show, the Summer shows are always super slow..

Also the Summer show does tend to attract the high end dealers with the high end items and prices...
    (which is both good and bad). But most bargain or deal shoppers know the show will be high and
    tend to stay home or to local shows..

Now in Walking the aisles there was a lot of very nice rifles, but they really were high and dare I say over priced..
    Now over priced has a nasty judgemental tone, but in this case there were several nice rifles that were there could be had
    cheaper and in better condition over the World Wide of Webs..

Hell, now to be gloomy everyone in line was seeming asking full boat+ prices today... But a high end show
    will do that.

I would wait for that Fall / Winter shows before worrying too much.
    I can see right off that you are a glass half full kind of guy.:): I'm not hoping for the collapse, but my idea of a gun show is where I could go to buy some cast lead bullets, a pound of powder, maybe some primers, a holster and once in a while a gun. I would always expect prices to be competitive and products available. I didn't see any of that. Now I don't go to all the gun shows so I cannot comment on the ebb and flow of the gun show year, but the products at the reasonable prices weren't there IMHO. There was a lot of entertainment value, looking at so many collectibles, but the ones that were there mostly were for display and not for sale. A lot of the stuff that was for sale, was in reality (the vendors probably don't think so) not for sale, except for the unwary or unknowing.

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Well this show has a high table display cost (I think 65 bucks to 100 bucks a table) Its never a show I would go to for a great deal on reloading items... (not to say I have not seen them there) Again, when someone walks into the louisville show or Tulsa show a good number of the people are big boy dealers and customers with big boy prices & wallets... I think with the run up on gun prices, online prices reflect lower prices then these shows right now..

Also keep in mind a lot of these dealers have big expenses to cover also.. Now that is not good or bad, just a reality that will make the prices at these shows higher...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I'm with the O.P. on this one. I was down last fall for that show. Mostly blued steel and wood at over list price. No hand loading components at all.

I killed an hour and didn't spend much. Only scored a couple half shot boxes of various ammo. I saw a couple under valued shot guns. Pretty disappointed overall with shows in general. I can get anything I need on-line way cheaper. Only way I would go to another show is to sell off stuff.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've always liked the Louisville show, but maybe that's a matter of expectations. If you're looking for reloading stuff or the latest fantastic plastic guns and accessories, then yeah you will likely be disappointed. If you're into milsurp rifles and older guns (wood and steel), then it's a good show, but as indy1919a4 said, the summer shows are not as good as the fall/winter shows. The Louisville show pretty much ruined the 1500 for me (for my tastes in guns at least), although I still enjoy going there for reloading stuff and maybe some ammo. It's been my experience that for the guns I like, the prices and selection at Louisville are generally better though.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I just can't believe that I'm still seeing vendors with (what seems to be) post-Sandy Hook prices, I swear for 4yrs now I've seen the same guys at different shows with the same $45 bricks of .22lr etc

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    There yesterday for about 4 hours. The crowd was light, prices a bit high. However the dealers seemed wiling to negotiate. Buddy bought a Ruger SP 101 he wanted for cash at a decent price. I sold a Browning MOD 71 for what I wanted to get.

Have to look hard for the deals.

Lots of 22 available, not near the record prices but still high. Was $65 a brick at the height of the panic, saw it for $35. Not great, but a change in the right direction.

Don

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Well this show has a high table display cost (I think 65 bucks to 100 bucks a table) Its never a show I would go to for a great deal on reloading items... (not to say I have not seen them there) Again, when someone walks into the louisville show or Tulsa show a good number of the people are big boy dealers and customers with big boy prices & wallets... I think with the run up on gun prices, online prices reflect lower prices then these shows right now..

Also keep in mind a lot of these dealers have big expenses to cover also.. Now that is not good or bad, just a reality that will make the prices at these shows higher...
    These gun show vendors are big boys and know what their overhead is. If they expect to make that back in one or two sales, they will be disappointed unless someone with more money than sense comes along. I do have hope that gun shows continue. It is good entertainment for me. Where else can I go and be entertained for a few hours for less than twenty bucks? All I know is that over many decades, the complexion of gun shows has changed. I bought a lot of guns in many years past at gun shows. Most of them good deals because I got burned and learned from my first gun show. I haven't bought much in the last twenty years. One big plus at this show was that there were so few people walking around that vendors actually had time to talk about their products, tell stories and make their pitches. During the Obama years they seemed so overwhelmed that they didn't have time to converse. Hey, at least I bought a nice old Stetson at a giveaway price! The vendor was even short a buck for change and I told him to keep it!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    All depends on what you are looking for.

If if you want to cheapest prices on an upper or lower or a new in the box off the dealer shelf pistol then shows are going to be more money than the intrewebs. Simple law of cost and market share. Guns shows have table fees hotels rates and meals before a profit can be made. So those looking for just pure profit for time and dollar spent are better off spending that money on the internet or the brick and mortar store front..

Now if if you are looking for a 1950's smith and Wesson revolver with box and paperwork the interwebs have a nice marketplace now. But you can just see the pic's can not feel the lockup look down The barrel with a light. See the grips off the pistol ect. Also many of these collectors pieces pass to dealers when someone passes and the dealer is known in the area. The whole collection is sold lock stock and barrel to the guy no mess no emails no fees for sellling.

If if you watch the local small shows there are always a couple tables near the entrance buying the walk in's. They are paying the table price to pick the ripe fruit. Nothing wrong with that. I have no issue with paying high dollar for a Limited edition firearm in prefect condition for my collection. Currently poking for both a marlin 39 TDS and a mossburg palomino. Those two should basically compleate my lever action 22 collection. I see TDS once in a while but have not seen the palomino in ages.

The chance to to see the unusual item like a steel peep sight from red field or marbles. Chinese ak mags. Old weaver scopes. Old re field scopes like a 3200. The occasional Winchester 52. Personally that is why I go. Heck the occasional old 22 box or shotgun shells box I do not have.when I pay the money at the door I expect to find nothing. It is just a cost of the addiction you pay for the chance to overpay for something unusual or rare. What get me at the 1500 in the fall/winter is when some vendor selling costume jewelry thinks see owns the isle in front of her booth and asked my father and I to move on as we talk in front of her booth. I feel if it is not firearms related that they should not even be allowed to have the booth. Take your flea market stuff to the flea market. Jewelry wallets tee shirts and flea market shoes stay at flea markets.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    All depends on what you are looking for.

If if you want to cheapest prices on an upper or lower or a new in the box off the dealer shelf pistol then shows are going to be more money than the intrewebs. Simple law of cost and market share. Guns shows have table fees hotels rates and meals before a profit can be made. So those looking for just pure profit for time and dollar spent are better off spending that money on the internet or the brick and mortar store front..

Now if if you are looking for a 1950's smith and Wesson revolver with box and paperwork the interwebs have a nice marketplace now. But you can just see the pic's can not feel the lockup look down The barrel with a light. See the grips off the pistol ect. Also many of these collectors pieces pass to dealers when someone passes and the dealer is known in the area. The whole collection is sold lock stock and barrel to the guy no mess no emails no fees for sellling.

If if you watch the local small shows there are always a couple tables near the entrance buying the walk in's. They are paying the table price to pick the ripe fruit. Nothing wrong with that. I have no issue with paying high dollar for a Limited edition firearm in prefect condition for my collection. Currently poking for both a marlin 39 TDS and a mossburg palomino. Those two should basically compleate my lever action 22 collection. I see TDS once in a while but have not seen the palomino in ages.

The chance to to see the unusual item like a steel peep sight from red field or marbles. Chinese ak mags. Old weaver scopes. Old re field scopes like a 3200. The occasional Winchester 52. Personally that is why I go. Heck the occasional old 22 box or shotgun shells box I do not have.when I pay the money at the door I expect to find nothing. It is just a cost of the addiction you pay for the chance to overpay for something unusual or rare. What get me at the 1500 in the fall/winter is when some vendor selling costume jewelry thinks see owns the isle in front of her booth and asked my father and I to move on as we talk in front of her booth. I feel if it is not firearms related that they should not even be allowed to have the booth. Take your flea market stuff to the flea market. Jewelry wallets tee shirts and flea market shoes stay at flea markets.
    You are correct. If you are a collector of old wood and steel and have deep pockets, this was the place to be. For the average Joe, like me, it left me with (like the younger set says) Meh!

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I thought the last thing about last weekends 1500. The summer show is never as good as the winter shows in my opinion, but the show wasn't crowded, and to me it seemed there was the most non-firearms related booths ever there.

I still like going to the shows, but was disappointed. I didn't make it tot he National Gun Day show to compare the turnout, etc.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Normally go to lots of shows. Have a few favorites. Have not been to the 1500 in a couple years need to stop back by.
    Once you have most of the basics covered then it is all about wants.

I do think the shows need to ask vendors (new tables) if they will have a gun or a knife on the table. It is a gun and knife show.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Well all of you wanting guns, I suggest going to the Tulsa Gun show... They will have everything.. Now the price will be up there.. But there are so many dealers there are many bargans

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Personally don't think the gas to Tulsa ok and a hotel stay plus meals will out save much of the savings for firearms purchased.

Love the Tulsa show. No better show in the country.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I was a little surprised when I showed up and was able to get a close by parking spot. I knew the show would be dead and it was. I've seen a lot of vendors hanging out in the isles. I've seen more private transaction going on verses happening over the tables.Some prices were fair and others straight gouge. A nice pick up was some brand new production Makarov ammo, 50 round box for $7 a pop. Plus some other trinkets and treasures. As for the future of gun shows we can debate this until the cows come home. But one thing that I have seen with NDG is that the vendor's are getting older and not many new younger faces are taking their place. The one sign I always get a crack out of the the sign saying something like I'm retiring and need to sell my guns. But yet everything is gouge as you know what. He can take his guns to his grave or his wife will blow them out when he's gone. Also this show suffered from the empty table syndrome. Lot's of tables were set up but no one behind them or anything on them. Hell I even seen one vendor sleeping on his table. Maybe he had a bad hang over.

Top Bottom