Where can I shoot in Hoosier National Forest?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldBrownGun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys, me and some friends wanted to go down to Hossier national this weekend and do some target shooting, does anyone have any good suggestions on where to go there? A spot with parking that is a good place to set up? Thanks in advance.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Hoosier National Forest covers a lot of ground from south of Bloomington all the way to the Ohio river. They don't have a dedicated range , but it's perfectly legal to target shoot. Find a safe area to park and follow the rules for firearm safety and the rules for Hoosier National Forest.

"Target shooting is permitted in the general forest area (except in the Charles C. Deam Wilderness) as long as other persons in the area are not placed at risk and there is no damage to resources such as using a tree as a target."

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/...000000000000&ttype=detail&cid=stelprdb5288194

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    EDIT TO ADD: look at pg 2 of responses for "official answer"

Original answer: The dnr website has the rules online.
    If i remember... Not in a parking lot, not across a road or trail, need safe backstop.
    I think that's about it.
    Also NOT in Deen (Deem?) Wildlife area.
    Almost everything else is ok.

I'm not a lawyer, consult the regs, etc. You can also call DNR or they have an office on morth side of Bedford, off of 37 - I think that's where it is.

Last edited:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Anywhere there's a parking lot, there will be a chance of people walking to you from all directuons....and not necessarily on a trail.

Be damn careful and pay attention to your surroundings.

The one and only time I did this, I got called in by a passerby and got a friendly check in from a dnr officer who was kind enough to block my truck in until he felt I answered enough questions.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Anywhere there's a parking lot, there will be a chance of people walking to you from all directuons....and not necessarily on a trail.

Be damn careful and pay attention to your surroundings.

The one and only time I did this, I got called in by a passerby and got a friendly check in from a dnr officer who was kind enough to block my truck in until he felt I answered enough questions.

If you aren't to lazy to walk a mile or so away from the parking lot, I expect he'd leave you alone.

Don't fault the man for trying to protect and serve. Just because he's aggravating you doesn't mean he's not doing his job right.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    As was stated above, I'd try to find a spot that's a ways from common paths and parking lots. That might mean hauling some gear a quarter mile. You might even be better off scouting a bit to find a space that is off the beaten path, and that doesn't cross roads/paths.
    That way you're not hauling gear all over.

I'd say be prepared for strangers, DNR, or police (if it were right off of a main road, for example) to stop in and see what's going on. Your best "defense" in this case would be a polite disposition and a solid knowledge of the rules (PRINT THEM OUT!!)

EDIT TO ADD: you need to be 150 yds away from developed sites, residence, or places where people are likely to be

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    just found this to share,
    here's the link to Forest srvc website: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/hoosier/notices/?cid=STELPRDB5288194

Hunting, Trapping, Fishing & Firearms (in Hoosier Natl Frst)

• Hunting is allowed anywhere on National Forest land except in recreation areas with designated boundaries, the Pioneer Mothers Memorial Forest, or where posted.
    • State laws on hunting, trapping and fishing are enforced on National Forest lands, requiring either a resident or nonresident license.
    • Discharging a firearm (including a bow and arrow) is prohibited in or within 150 yards of a developed recreation site, a residence, or any place where people are likely to be. Shooting across roads or bodies of water is also prohibited.
    • Target shooting is permitted in the general forest area (except in the Charles C. Deam Wilderness) as long as other persons in the area are not placed at risk and there is no damage to resources such as using a tree as a target.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Be aware of your boundaries, some folks think that everything forested near the HNF is federal ground and it isn't. Lots of people like myself live on property that borders the HNF and react badly to bullets coming our direction.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If you aren't to lazy to walk a mile or so away from the parking lot, I expect he'd leave you alone.

Don't fault the man for trying to protect and serve. Just because he's aggravating you doesn't mean he's not doing his job right.

I was plenty far in. Half mile or so. I also never said I faulted him. I would have done the same thing he did. No way would I go walking in to gunfire that I didn't know where it was coming from and the bullets going.

He basically told me the rulez, asked what I was shooting, and asked if I was alone. He did no wrong. Every CO I've met has been friendly.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I was plenty far in. Half mile or so. I also never said I faulted him. I would have done the same thing he did. No way would I go walking in to gunfire that I didn't know where it was coming from and the bullets going.

He basically told me the rulez, asked what I was shooting, and asked if I was alone. He did no wrong. Every CO I've met has been friendly.

Well, alrighty then.

Top Bottom