• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have a 1908 Colt Vest in perfect shape with box and papers that I am thinking of selling and I am considering listing it on Gun Broker. This gun has a limited market and is very collectable, that is why I am thinking GB instead of INGO. Don't get me wrong - I love INGO for normal buying and selling but this Colt might bring more $$$ on a larger platform. Before I make that decision, I've never listed on GB and would like some advice:
    1. What are your experiences with GB?
    2. Are they difficult to work with?
    3. Was your experience positive or negative?
    4. What do I need to be aware of using GB?

Thanks for the guidance.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That you are an individual selling a gun on gunbroker and most FFL's won't take transfers from individuals...You need to say that in the auction up front...I.E. "I am an individual so before bidding make sure your FFL will accept a transfer from an individual"....Also that you are just starting out on gunbroker and will not have much feedback and bidders tend to shy away until someone gets about 20 plus positive feedbacks...

I would consign it with a local gun shop and let them list it for you (if they sell on gunbroker) and let them make their piece of the pie...If they are an established seller you will get more for the gun than you would just starting out with your first auction which should more than cover any fees....

IMHO

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That you are an individual selling a gun on gunbroker and most FFL's won't take transfers from individuals...You need to say that in the auction up front...I.E. "I am an individual so before bidding make sure your FFL will accept a transfer from an individual".

Why do you think that is Mr Ucky??? you of course are correct.. According to a local FFL, as long as the seller sends a copy of his Drivers License, it is no more work for them to receive from and individual then an FFL.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Why do you think that is Mr Ucky??? you of course are correct.. According to a local FFL, as long as the seller sends a copy of his Drivers License, it is no more work for them to receive from and individual then an FFL.

Seeing as though it's a handgun and therefore a huge pain to ship, I'd arrange a local FFL to ship it for me. They can use the USPS whereas a non FFL cannot for a pistol. Most will do this pretty reasonably, at least around here.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    According to a local FFL, as long as the seller sends a copy of his Drivers License, it is no more work for them to receive from and individual then an FFL.

And there is the rub....They don't send their Drivers License....I have a few regulars and a couple of INGOer's that I let transfer from an individual and they know to HAMMER the person to send a copy of their driver's license....It's still about 50/50 that do......

I don't know why....Ask Gunaria about the mauser that was sent here from an individual...No drivers license and no box....Just wrapped in thin cardboard with duct tape and my address on the front....The cleanest break I have ever seen on a stock....Snapped right in two...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Seeing as though it's a handgun and therefore a huge pain to ship, I'd arrange a local FFL to ship it for me. They can use the USPS whereas a non FFL cannot for a pistol. Most will do this pretty reasonably, at least around here.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I like doing business with full service gun shops that will ship guns I've sold and receive guns I've bought. Besides their transfer fees, they usually make money from me on other items I buy from them (accessories usually have a much higher profit margin than new guns).

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    And there is the rub....They don't send their Drivers License....I have a few regulars and a couple of INGOer's that I let transfer from an individual and they know to HAMMER the person to send a copy of their driver's license....It's still about 50/50 that do......

Many thanks for your insights, as usually you hit the head of the nail with one blow of your hammer...

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I tend to be a buyer and not a seller...I have bought on GunBroker but always through an FFL with a history and shy away from the individuals. Just too many headaches and unknowns. My FFL will only take individuals transfer for what he calls his "good customers". Much like Indiucky - he has horror stories and no ID shipments.

I have purchased from individual here and on the S&W forum. Maybe not really any different but at least I feel like they are slightly more screened buyer. ALTHOUGH, I did recently purchase from an individual on the S&W forum. He package it nicely but shipped it standard rate with no ID. Luckily he sent my FFL the required information instantly upon request but I got a "See this is why I don't like individual tranfers" from my FFL....

Personally, I give this site a try first...ask a fair price. Lots of Colt collectors around.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    So you want gun broker advise. Well here you go, as stated you better already have some recent positive feed back as a buyer before you list anything for the bidding shark pool. Without good feedback you will get hosed the the final amount or it might never sell if you listed it too high. What to watch out for are non paying bidders. Believe me they are out there. They bid and never pay. Then you have to start all over again. Since you are planning on selling a handgun, you better have a plan to ship it. If you ship it yourself it will cost over $100 to send it FedEx or UPS next day air. Or have an FFL do it, that will run $35+, but you can make the winning bidder pay for that. Or you can try ShipMyGun.com, they start around $25, I have no experience with them. Take good pictures of your stuff. Be prepared for lowball offers via email, it will happen. Don't get me wrong selling on the broker can be great. It can also be a good way to clean up some of the gun junk that has been laying around for years. If you are a true gambler, start your auction off at a penny. Or start it at the vary least amount you are willing to accept. Best of luck to you on whatever you chose.

Maybe give INGO first crack at it but after a week it doesn't sell here put it on the broker. Did I say that out loud?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So you want gun broker advise. Well here you go, as stated you better already have some recent positive feed back as a buyer before you list anything for the bidding shark pool. Without good feedback you will get hosed the the final amount or it might never sell if you listed it too high. What to watch out for are non paying bidders. Believe me they are out there. They bid and never pay. Then you have to start all over again. Since you are planning on selling a handgun, you better have a plan to ship it. If you ship it yourself it will cost over $100 to send it FedEx or UPS next day air. Or have an FFL do it, that will run $35+, but you can make the winning bidder pay for that. Or you can try ShipMyGun.com, they start around $25, I have no experience with them. Take good pictures of your stuff. Be prepared for lowball offers via email, it will happen. Don't get me wrong selling on the broker can be great. It can also be a good way to clean up some of the gun junk that has been laying around for years. If you are a true gambler, start your auction off at a penny. Or start it at the vary least amount you are willing to accept. Best of luck to you on whatever you chose.

Maybe give INGO first crack at it but after a week it doesn't sell here put it on the broker. Did I say that out loud?
    It's not just gunbroker. I've had a few guns for sale recently on forums. I have been surprised by the number of people who will say that they want an item, even to the point of having me buy proper packing materials and boxing a gun up for shipment. They either come up with an excuse for not paying or just never responded when it came down to the actual meeting for a face-to-face or shipping. One person suggested that I drive over 150 miles one way to make the deal and then went silent after I said that I couldn't do that. I can assure you that I didn't have any margin for that built into the asking price.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Side note, I think there could be a huge demand for local FFLs to accept consignments to be listed on GB. The above is a perfect case. It would serve all parties well. For instance, I have an excellent condition CZ-83 chambered in .32 acp. It is a commercial model not surplus and has all the stuff it came with from the factory. Fun gun to shoot but I have thought about selling it. On INGO or locally consigned, it would probably sell for $350-$500. I have been checking GB regularly for the past year or so and they consistently sell for $800-$1,000. So I would gladly pay a 20% vig to a dealer to consign on GB and still be hundreds ahead. The dealer would make twice as much as well.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For instance, I have an excellent condition CZ-83 chambered in .32 acp. It is a commercial model not surplus and has all the stuff it came with from the factory. Fun gun to shoot but I have thought about selling it. On INGO or locally consigned, it would probably sell for $350-$500. I have been checking GB regularly for the past year or so and they consistently sell for $800-$1,000. So I would gladly pay a 20% vig to a dealer to consign on GB and still be hundreds ahead. The dealer would make twice as much as well.

:)

50044e2903cafa0f075cf99fdf5cd91f3e2d4d90017a58a654bb171ef8b25858.jpg

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    It's not just gunbroker. I've had a few guns for sale recently on forums. I have been surprised by the number of people who will say that they want an item, even to the point of having me buy proper packing materials and boxing a gun up for shipment. They either come up with an excuse for not paying or just never responded when it came down to the actual meeting for a face-to-face or shipping. One person suggested that I drive over 150 miles one way to make the deal and then went silent after I said that I couldn't do that. I can assure you that I didn't have any margin for that built into the asking price.

Flakes need to die a slow death in hell.

Top Bottom