• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    With the recent resurgence of braced pistols after the ATF's comment, what's everyone's opinion on getting one and for defense. I want to build one with a 10.5 in barrel in 5.56 but also thinking about it in 300 BLK.

Right now, I have a completed lower. It's pretty much basic, nothing fancy at the moment and it has the SB Tactical PDW brace on it. All I need next is to decide whether nor not this future truck gun will be chambered in 5.56 or .300 BLK.

Thoughts, everyone?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Depends on how much you will shoot it and if a can is in your future. If you only plan on shooting it a little such as a function check, sighting it in and a few range trips a year, .300 BO isn't horribly expensive. That round was designed for what you are building but it's not as cheap as 5.56.

If a can is in your near future plans, the 300 will shine there too.

If you plan on shooting it a lot and ammo cost is a factor, the 5.56 will be better.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thoughts, everyone?

Silly, feckless, range toy in a faddish, hipster caliber. Oh, wait, you did want our thought, right?:D

Take the money for this goofy toy, get a used S&W M10, a class and a bunch of ammo.

If you want the thing, cool. If you want to rationalize it, don't. You cannot. Just buy the toy and have fun at the range.:D

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The change of opinion and the recent change back never changed anything for me or most people I know. We kept buying braces and building AR pistols and I bought complete AR pistols. What's the difference hitting what I want in a self defense shooting using an AR pistol vs an AR rifle? An eye lash maybe.
    I have 5.56 and .300 blackout versions and like my rifles they aren't built with cheap crap.
    If you expect a possible engagement within 300 meters go with either one, farther go 5.56. They will both perform well but stick with what the rounds were designed for. Suppress them both because why not? Protect your ears. But since this is for self defense in a truck you don't expect anything that far right? Right! So go with either one.
    Theres your answer from someone that actually shoots and owns both. And I don't have a beard nor a law degree. And I don't believe guns are toys.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    "Short barreled guns are nothing more than toys" J. Yeager

[video=youtube;BGqwpSAfBRg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqwpSAfBRg[/video]

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    "Short barreled guns are nothing more than toys" J. Yeager

[video=youtube;BGqwpSAfBRg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqwpSAfBRg[/video]
    i think he's changed that opinion since then. I can't remember. But if he hasn't I'd disagree with his opinion.
    also he says he puts the redimag on his serious guns and that's a serious gun, so it can't be a toy then

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    You say "truck gun" and "defense". Are you looking at a dual role weapon, as in critters around the farm, plus personal defense OR just personal defense from your truck?
    As far as a 10.5" AR with a brace, in 5.56 or .300 BO......I would view this as more of a SBR than a pistol. *Also note, in this configuration, if you get your OAL past 26", it can be classified as a "firearm" by ATF and therefore you can legally put a forward vertical grip on it. Take it off and you are back to a "pistol".
    I built a 10.5" a couple of years ago, in 9mm and love it. Let someone call it a "range toy" but I bet they won't stand in front of it, within 200 yards. :D

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My vote would be a 10.5" (for carbine length gas) 5.56 with quality expanding ammunition like Speer Gold Dot 55/64gr, Federal Fusion 62gr, or Hornady 55gr GMX which will still be quite effective even at 7.5" velocities.

I don't have to abide by the Hague Convention and I'm not going to limit myself to FMJ ammo that needs velocity to fragment.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    i think he's changed that opinion since then. I can't remember. But if he hasn't I'd disagree with his opinion.
    also he says he puts the redimag on his serious guns and that's a serious gun, so it can't be a toy then
    It's Yeager's opinion, not necessarily mine. He does tend to contradict himself in the clip a bit in he one instance you pointed out and then also goes on to answer the question he posed after labeling them "toys" by saying "can you still fight with them? Yea, you can but it's less than optimum" If you can fight with them then I would'nt consider them to just be "range toys" either.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I went with AK pistol for trunk gun because I assume there will be vehicles around when I'm shooting it. You can science me all you want on velocity equaling penetration but AKs cut cars in half. I want big, fat, heavy rounds to hit vehicles. Sure, the 5.56 may punch through windows, but shoot a car with x39 and it flies through the air backwards. Almost like getting hit with a .45!

If you're stuck on the AR platform for your little truck gun, go with the .300 since it's beefier.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I went with AK pistol for trunk gun because I assume there will be vehicles around when I'm shooting it. You can science me all you want on velocity equaling penetration but AKs cut cars in half. I want big, fat, heavy rounds to hit vehicles. Sure, the 5.56 may punch through windows, but shoot a car with x39 and it flies through the air backwards. Almost like getting hit with a .45!

If you're stuck on the AR platform for your little truck gun, go with the .300 since it's beefier.
    5.56 has no issues going through cars. It might come out sideways but it's coming out more times than not. That's why you don't take cover behind a car. But I agree with you and have said the same thing about having something that punches bigger holes through cars.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Unless you're going to suppress it, I don't understand the desire for a 10.5" or AR pistol for defense. What do you believe it does better than, say a standard M4, in the realm of defense? Suppressed, then I get it, but I'd still run a carbine stock.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Unless you're going to suppress it, I don't understand the desire for a 10.5" or AR pistol for defense. What do you believe it does better than, say a standard M4, in the realm of defense? Suppressed, then I get it, but I'd still run a carbine stock.
    the only reason besides the one you mentioned is mobility in and out of a vehicle. Also quick storage while still complete

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    the only reason besides the one you mentioned is mobility in and out of a vehicle. Also quick storage while still complete

Storage I can give you, but if you can't fit an M4 in your truck maybe it's time to clean the truck out.

Mobility, I don't know how much you can gain if you use the proper techniques. I've bailed out of my Charger with the M-16 many times, and once when I really really really wanted out of the Charger. A pickup (and I'm assuming full size) will have bigger doors.

I used to struggle a bit more until I started using this method. I get most folks are not going to roll around with a rifle tucked next to the seat, and I don't routinely. However during surveillance or stake outs, I do, and it's paid off.

[video=youtube;YENzsMCSYcw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENzsMCSYcw[/video]

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yep and I'm not talking about tucking it next to you like you said it isn't practical for a normal guy. I'm talking about stowing it (biggest concern being not having it visible).
    But even with his suppressed SBR and his training he hit it exiting. Also bailing when your being shot at doesn't always go as planned and I've been in a crashed vehicle when the seat belts lock up and you don't have slack to grab and also the lock jams. I also seen in one case (not me) the vehicle was impacted from the side and the seat pinned a rifle between the seat and the console and the idiot also had the sling on. (He wasn't really an idiot just made a dumb mistake and he was trained)
    The part about shooting through glass is very true Although that is a trained response (shooting through glass or gettin people to use the vehicle as a weapon itself) because most people will not do that instinctively as it goes against everything they've been taught to think (like shooting people)
    If people want to learn how to fight they need to take classes and practice and not watch videos. BBI with your training and past I'm fully confident you know what you are talking about but as you know many don't have the same experience or training and sometimes not enough info (through training) is dangerous.
    I wish everyone would take classes such as this and others. The more trained civilians the better. When I see these threads on ingo about truck (or car) guns I typically think of someone fighting to their truck with their pistol to get to their rifle. Probably will NEVER happen but it is good to be prepared.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I really like my ar pistol I think it has a 12.5" barrel and it is good to at least 300 yards (it's good to hit, don't know about terminal effect at that distance, but it pings the steel). That said, it is heavier than my general purpose gun and it is in my buddies safe and I don't think it even has any kind of sights or optics on it right now. I'm just so in love with my 14.5" carbine.

I would like to try out an AK pistol for the reasons Slim mentioned.

Top Bottom