• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Either better than the other or are they basically the same? Which do you prefer? Why?

The Break Free takes me back to my Army days, so nostalgia has me leaning in that direction. On the other hand, if it is good enough for the soldiers, it should be good enough for me, right? Surely our government wouldn't give our boys substandard cleaning products! Would they?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Either better than the other or are they basically the same? Which do you prefer? Why?

The Break Free takes me back to my Army days, so nostalgia has me leaning in that direction. On the other hand, if it is good enough for the soldiers, it should be good enough for me, right? Surely our government wouldn't give our boys substandard cleaning products! Would they?
    You got cleaning products in the Army?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I guess the next question is what are you cleaning?

I will not use a clp on my Anschutz

My experience is clp will not clean copper deposits from rifleing nor does it do well on plastic deposits in shot gun barrels

I like ballistol for a quick clean......seems to work well......

Aaron

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Ballistol fan here as well. Although I have a bottle of Breakfree CLP and have used it in the past, I can't really say for sure that Ballistol is "that much better because it did XYZ for me in a fully scientific test..." I do prefer it greatly over Breakfree and it seems to get stuff that Breakfree does not get.

As a test, I cleaned my barrel with Breakfree, got it as clean as I could, then I sprayed it full of Ballistol and let it sit for 10 minutes. The next few patches were pretty dirty. A few days later tried the test in reverse and found the patches to be pretty clean.

Is this a scientific test? Of course not! But it was enough for me to continue to use Ballistol.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I use the CLP only for rust protection. That I can recommend from long time experience and results.
    I use a lot of different cleaners for different guns, metal, plastic, wood.
    Ballistol is a good product. CLP is a good product.
    It all comes down to that darned "compromise" word again.
    Both have their place on my shelves.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    All my blackpowder guns get Ballistol. All my smokeless guns get Hoppe's #9. Works for me.

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    Love CLP ad have been using it for a decade. Cleans everything and you can just wipe it off / re-assemble the pistol and get on with your day.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I like CLP, haven't used Ballistol. Tend to use a good solvent if the gun has ran more and needs good cleaning. CLP has been good rust prevention

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I used to use Hoppe's #9 and light gun or motor oil (or 3-in-1).
    Since 1970 it was Hoppe's #9 and CLP. RIG for storage.
    Since about 1992 to now: Almost exclusively Ballistol for cleaning, lube, and long-term storage. Occasionally, not often, Hoppe's #9 (mostly for copper fouling and nostalgia?) is still used right before the Ballistol. For semi-automatics, the Ballistol is sometimes replaced with Mobile 1 0W-20.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Put me down as a traditionalist not at all enamored with these all-in-one "cleaner-lubricant-protectants."
    Good old Hoppe's #9 for bore cleaning and either one of the all-in-one for some lube and rust protection, or (prefer) Lucas for lube on my blued guns, RIG Stainless for my stainless autoloader carry gun, and Birchwood Casey Barricade for rust protection for all guns.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Since nobody outside of the factory knows exactly what is in any of these products, it really boils down to personal preference and anecdotal experience.

I use Ballistol on guns that have looser tolerances (AK, shotgun) or for longer-term storage, as it seems to leave a thicker film. Use Hoppe's 9 and other products on guns with tighter tolerances.

If you clean after each session and keep it lubed, it probably doesn't make much difference which product is used. At least that's my anecdotal experience.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    If you clean after each session and keep it lubed, it probably doesn't make much difference which product is used. At least that's my anecdotal experience.

Damn. This sounds like words of wisdom. Actually, I do clean after each trip to the range.

Thanks for that. Makes a ton of sense!

Top Bottom