• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    Okay...Call me crazy but I am flying out to California to Camp Pendleton where my brother has completed his 5 year contract with the Marine Corps and we are driving back across the country back to Indiana. I just don't feel comfortable driving lord knows where back across the country without a firearm so I am going to declare a firearm when I fly out to Cali. I am scared to death of California but I have been reading and reading and reading about the laws of every state we are coming back through. Only state that really is any concern is California. I have a 3 hr layover in San Fran as well. Any incite would be greatly appreciated.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The only thing I would be concerned with Cali (unless your an LEO) is the Hi Cap mag that they frown upon. And keeping it unloaded in your car. You would be covered traveling with the interstate commerce or safe travels can't remember exactly name.

As far as airports I wouldn't fret, hunters fly all the time. I also flew into Ontario CA for a class with Agency MP 5 and Sig's (and it was a plain gun case). And I had zero issues. As far as the states your driving through do your research.

Good luck

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I once flew into the LA airport with a locked gun case. In it were two rifles and a handgun. When my case came around on the turnstyle, it had been smashed and both rifle barrels were sticking out. I was sure that the handgun woukd be missing, but it was still there. California in general, and San Francisco in particular, are just like everywhere else. Stay in the "right" areas and stay out of the "wrong" areas, and you will generally be fine. When I lived in San Francisco years ago, there were of course no carry permits. However, the fist time you were caught carrying, it was a slap on the hand and a $50 fine. The NEXT time you were caught, it was a felony. I think that they figured criminals would be caught more than once, and the average Joe that felt like they must carry, if done responsibly, would probably not be caught - at least not more than once. I don't know if it is still that way or not.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've driven back and forth across the country multiple times and never felt the need to have a firearm. I carry when I'm going to a mall or other potential soft/large target areas but if you are just moving him back to Indiana and staying at nice hotels in nice areas you will be fine. Moving cross country rarely includes movie theaters, stopping at festivals, walking across London bridge. You will be on interstates and most likely use every bypass available to keep from getting caught up in downtown/through town traffic. I would not get caught carrying anything with high capacity magazines or not California friendly in California. get caught get a felony and say goodbye to legal gun ownership. The most dangerous part of your journey will be in Cali and you definitely cannot carry there leaving you with a plastic and metal felony machine sitting in your glovebox. Nearly all of my pistols have a big sticker on the box that says "Not legal in California" it may not be constitutional but it is the enforceable law and you will not win in court.

In this case something as silly as a rolled stop sign or missed signal can get you pulled over. You'll be in an unfamiliar vehicle so documents will need to be planned to keep from showing your piece to the cop, which not telling the cop there is a pistol in the vehicle is worse than concealing it. It's like traveling on business in Chicago, it would be nice to carry but I'd rather use appropriate planning and avoidance techniques than lose my right to bear arms.

Plan ahead, millions of people travel cross country without issue every day. Blend in, stay alert, have a plan and stick to it.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Don't forget to check out the base aspect. Guarantee you wont be able to take onto camp Pendleton. If you aren't going on base not an issue. Taking onto a military base is a federal issue. Just check it out.

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    Just to follow up. Easiest thing I've ever done. Literally checked it in with luggage and they had me sign an orange slip. Gave me a piece of paper to give to TSA once I went through the tsa check at the counter. They took my paper and said okay you are good to go. I checked my bag once I got to San Diego and it didn't even look like it had been checked. I ended up buying a cheap stack on portable safe from walmart that worked perfect.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Just to follow up. Easiest thing I've ever done. Literally checked it in with luggage and they had me sign an orange slip. Gave me a piece of paper to give to TSA once I went through the tsa check at the counter. They took my paper and said okay you are good to go. I checked my bag once I got to San Diego and it didn't even look like it had been checked. I ended up buying a cheap stack on portable safe from walmart that worked perfect.
    Great to hear that.

Top Bottom