• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Outstanding!

One question on the article, how would the curvature of the earth affect a long distance shot? Something along the lines of how gravity affects shooting uphill vs. downhill?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The article said "about 10 seconds", but I don't know where that comes from.

I took the muzzle velocity of that cartridge of 930-950m/s, figured a loss ov velocity over distance would drop that average velocity down to ~800m/s. 3450 meters would take 4.5 seconds. Math could be wrong

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You know he didn't actually expect to make that shot. He was like "Dudly, I'm aboot, to give'er a pop at that guy 'ver there." A 2-4 of Molsons's, for the rest of my life, if I get 'em 'eh? Where's me blindfold?"

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You know he didn't actually expect to make that shot. He was like "Dudly, I'm aboot, to give'er a pop at that guy 'ver there." A 2-4 of Molsons's, for the rest of my life, if I get 'em 'eh? Where's me blindfold?"

that wasmy first thought as well... "hey, let's lob one over there and see if we hit something!"

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    that wasmy first thought as well... "hey, let's lob one over there and see if we hit something!"

Most definitely. You know after the shot was made, he didn't calmly say "never a doubt in my mind," and walk off like a boss.
    It probably went like this:
    spotter -"Holy ****, you hit him!"
    sniper - "**** off."
    spotter - "no, you really hit him, dropped right on the top of his head"
    sniper - "how far was that, how far was that?"
    spotter - "a little less that 2.25 miles"
    sniper - "I got the record, I got the record. I'm gonna be famous and make a crap ton on sniper schools in the US."
    Sniper- (runs off screaming and clicking his heels)

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    It was with a .50 cal but the (now) second longest kill is more impressive. It was about 2,400 meters (over 7,000') with 338 Lapua.

In fact, looking at wiki now all the top 5-6 kills are 50 cals except that one.

Naow dat dere's funnee.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

tumblr_nkbnrhmB7D1rhlg15o2_250.gif

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Outstanding!

One question on the article, how would the curvature of the earth affect a long distance shot? Something along the lines of how gravity affects shooting uphill vs. downhill?

When you begin to stretch things out that far, enough time elapses between when the bullet leaves the muzzle and when it reaches the target area that the target is no longer where it was when you pulled the trigger. The spacial relationship between the shooter and target remains unchanged (assuming both are stationary), their relative positions (in space) change while the bullet is in flight.

I'll agree with Kut in that there is a good bit of luck which comes into play making a shot like that, however.....an unskilled, untrained shooter could easily miss a target at that distance by 100 yards or more so there is most definitely some skill involved as well. He will undoubtedly enjoy a good bit of notoriety as a result and may very well end up in the pot-military training realm. Unfortunately, being a skilled marksman does not equate to being a good instructor.

Top Bottom