• ...and so much more!
  • Solars77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Hobart
    I sold my first fire arm today. I used a bill of sale that reads:
    Buyer certifies that they are not restricted or forbidden by law to own a firearm and buyer states that he/she:
    • Has NEVER been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
    • Is NOT a fugitive from justice.
    • Is NOT an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance.
    • Has NEVER been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution.
    • Is NOT an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United states or an alien admitted to the United states under a nonimmigrant visa.
    • Has NOT been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
    • Having been a citizen of the United states, has NEVER renounced his or her citizenship.
    • Is NOT subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner.
    • Has NOT been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
    • CAN lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
    • Is NOT a person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
    I truthfully state that I AM NOT a person who cannot legally buy, receive, and posses firearms and/or ammunition. Will this cover my but if anything were to happen? He signed and dated. I also video recorded the transaction.

Last edited:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The seller makes the rules. For me...If my drivers license and LTCH isn't good enough....I would just as soon pass on the purchase. I had enough of exchanging signed receipts when I lived in Illinois.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    If you requested ME to read and sign all that we wouldn't be making a deal.
    DL and LTCH is all I have ever asked for or given.

Bob

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I'm personally amazed you got a buyer to jump thru those hoops; it must have been a heck of deal. I've done a bill of sale to purchase something before but it's not something I prefer to do.
    You would have lost me at the video recording.

I usually just like to see an Indiana ID and a liscence to carry a handgun. If they done have one and I have any doubts I just tell them to meet me at my FFL and I'll pay for a transfer.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you wanted to "cover" yourself, why didn't you just insist on doing the transfer through an FFL? I bet the FFL would be glad to handle this for you.

But yeah, like Expat said, when the camera/phone came out, I would have left.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I collect firearms, but would NEVER purchase one under the conditions you require. I wouldn't give $20 for a $500 value firearm if I had to do that. Yeah, I am completely legal, have my Lifetime LTCH, even have my Federal FFL collectors license. But I am all for every legal citizen that wishes to own a firearm to have one. I follow all State and Federal laws, but I certainly believe there are enough (really way too many) laws and hoops to jump through already in place by the State and Federal rules. THE ONLY THING that is required when you sell a firearm in Indiana to an unlicensed individual is that the person is at least 18 years old and a resident of the state AND that you do not know or have REASONABLE cause to believe the person is not legal to possess a firearm. There is NO WAY you can obtain the information that an FFL dealer obtains (Background check through the 4473). A felon that wishes to purchase a firearm from you can easily obtain a false DL, and would have no problem signing a false name to your documents! You must be extremely paranoid!

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    OP, If you are that concerned you should just do a transfer through an FFL. I definitely would NOT create my own legal document like you have done, I could bite both ways.

Top Bottom