• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Any time I hear someone invoke the term "gun violence," my eyes roll and I immediately discount whatever else that person has to say on the subject.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Polls and surveys are easy to skew. Its all in the selection of participants of such agenda. As for the initiates, it is obviously part of their left-bent propaganda. I guess I've stated enough and better leave it at that. ~~"One Man's Opinion!"

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Any time I hear someone invoke the term "gun violence," my eyes roll and I immediately discount whatever else that person has to say on the subject.

I agree. Knife violence, car violence, blunt object violence, and fist/foot violence are terms never used.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I agree. Knife violence, car violence, blunt object violence, and fist/foot violence are terms never used.

Yup.
    Hey look. We reduced "gun violence" by 25 percent.
    But don't look at "all other violence" going up 500 percent.
    Just keep your eye on "gun violence".

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    We should start of list of the liberal terms we have been stuck with. "gun violence", "assault rifle", "sniper bullet", "for the children", "mean spirited", "one percent". Don't think this is a hijack.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yup.
    Hey look. We reduced "gun violence" by 25 percent.
    But don't look at "all other violence" going up 500 percent.
    Just keep your eye on "gun violence".
    It is hard to get around the fact that gun violence plummeted for several decades while gun ownership skyrocketed during the same time period.
    But they have the MSM that works hard to give the impression that gun violence is at all new epidemic levels. Of course we gun people like to pretend that is the case as well, so we can explain to the wife why we need just one more...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am averse of violence, of any type, against me, mine or those within my sphere of influence. That is why I carry.

Majorities of both groups favor background checks for private sales and at gun shows, as well as limiting access to guns for people with mental illnesses and those on no-fly or terror-watch lists.

• Funny the Intelligence agencies are not for this because it could give a heads up to people they are watching.
    • It is a civil liberties thing.
    • Anyone can be placed on the list without due process.
    • They are not informed that they are on the list.
    • There is no due process to get off the list.
    • Perfect place to put your political opponents.

Kind of like Lois Learners IRS.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    The demographics of Pew's "American Trend Panel" need to be understood. While most of their information can be found at Results | Pew Research Center it doesn't show the necessary detail. If 2,000 of the members are white, middle aged, college-degreed, married men earning >$75,000, but they're Democrats in the West, results will be skewed; similarly, if all of the Hispanics are lower class, etc, and in the Northeast, those results are biased.

They can say their ~5,000 member panel is representative, but until they show it is (and how does that equate to the national breakdown (consistency, after all)?), I'll take their results with a grain of salt. Or two.

Sadly, research clearinghouses aren't scrutinized for their results--people point to their name and think it must be valid, because it's from Pew.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    "Gun violence" and "Gun death" are the terms chosen in discussions like this, so they can include suicides. They don't want to talk about "gun homicide" because A) it has gone down as gun ownership went up, as El notes, and B) it's an overwhelmingly African American phenomenon, which implicates a group that votes 90+ percent Democrat.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The demographics of Pew's "American Trend Panel" need to be understood. While most of their information can be found at Results | Pew Research Center it doesn't show the necessary detail. If 2,000 of the members are white, middle aged, college-degreed, married men earning >$75,000, but they're Democrats in the West, results will be skewed; similarly, if all of the Hispanics are lower class, etc, and in the Northeast, those results are biased.

They can say their ~5,000 member panel is representative, but until they show it is (and how does that equate to the national breakdown (consistency, after all)?), I'll take their results with a grain of salt. Or two.

Sadly, research clearinghouses aren't scrutinized for their results--people point to their name and think it must be valid, because it's from Pew.
    If they want to be taken seriously by gun owners, they should change their name to the Pew Pew Pew Research Center... ;)

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    We should start of list of the liberal terms we have been stuck with. "gun violence", "assault rifle", "sniper bullet", "for the children", "mean spirited", "one percent". Don't think this is a hijack.

"ammo clip", "fully loaded", "exploding bullet", "highly trained"

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Top Bottom