• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya'll.....
    My mom is coming to just in August and she wants to build her own AR lower. I have a Ghost Gunner Mill, and will be milling and completing a non numbered AR lower..
    My question is, anyone ever traveled via air with an AR lower, or even with one they've assembled with no manufacture serial numbers?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hey Ya'll.....
    My mom is coming to just in August and she wants to build her own AR lower. I have a Ghost Gunner Mill, and will be milling and completing a non numbered AR lower..
    My question is, anyone ever traveled via air with an AR lower, or even with one they've assembled with no manufacture serial numbers?

No I haven't.

I have flown with handguns many times. Never been asked for a serial number.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Is it required to let them know at check in it in the luggage?

I would. You can't even take things like shotgun choke tubes in a carry on so the airlines treat anything that goes along with guns differently. Anything firearms related I would declare.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The receiver is the firearm so you should just treat it like it is and inform them.

This. Even though it is totally harmless in this config, by the letter of the law it is indeed a firearm. Treat it EXACTLY like you would a handgun. Locked, in a case, etc. even though it is totally harmless by itself.

Then prepare for lots of stupid looks from ignorant workers if you are asked to open it for inspection. The "What are you smoking? I thought you said you had a gun in here?" look.

Last edited:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    No different than traveling with any other firearm. Read the regulations and declare it at check in.

No problem.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    As others said treat it as a firearm and declare it when checking in. I had to do the same thing flying back from FL with just a slide and barrel since I left my frame there to get work done on it. No one asked to see anything but you could be in a position to explain some stuff or worse legal recourse if you didn't declare it and worse if you had it with your carry on.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Yes, declare it, check it in hardside, locked case (don't use TSA approved locks).
    If there were any ambiguity - which there shouldn't be - most airlines require "gun parts" to be checked anyways. To my understanding, this is an example of where most airlines can add their own airline-specific policies in addition to TSA standards (like max weight of ammo, etc)
    Plz correct me if I'm wrong.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Since she is flying in, does she live out of state? What are the rules for making your own firearm out of state? I know the rules for purchase/gifting/inheritance, just not for making your own.

I say this because it is illegal to make a firearm for transfer without a FFL.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I say this because it is illegal to make a firearm for transfer without a FFL.
    She can make her own, for herself. I think however if her son makes it, he cannot just give it away, transfer or no. The way I understand it, his intent must be to make the gun for personal use. I could be crazy wrong, I've never milled my own so am only peripherally aware of the garbage laws around this. Still chiming in though, so there's that.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    She can make her own, for herself. I think however if her son makes it, he cannot just give it away, transfer or no. The way I understand it, his intent must be to make the gun for personal use. I could be crazy wrong, I've never milled my own so am only peripherally aware of the garbage laws around this. Still chiming in though, so there's that.

OP is merely showing his mother how to mill an 80% receiver. She will be doing all the work.

There was a company in that had an automated milling machines that could complete 80% lowers. (As well as make parts) To be in compliance with the law the owner of a lower had to push the start button on the machine. The machine shop could program the computer and I think put the frame in the machine. I may not have all the details correct but I do remember the owner telling me they couldn't push the button to start the computer. To my knowledge this wasn't a service that they sold, the employees just thought it was cool they could use the equipment to finish AR lowers.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    If it's 80% then its an undefined hunk of metal. Once its milled for use in an AR build its a gun, regardless of whether any lower parts have been installed or not, and should be declared as such when traveling.

Top Bottom