• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    A while back we had a house fire.....most of my firearms were in a safe and survived, however this one and one other were not in the safe and this is the result.....I would guess this is beyond repair...so what do I do with this now? I figure I need to dispose of it, but I am not comfortable with simply putting it in the trash.....trying to figure a way to safely dispose of it....any suggestions????

burned.JPG

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Maybe place it above the fireplace.

Mike who who used to own crack shot guns in Anderson had a collection of blown up firearms and other oddities at his shop but he passed ownership to another in the last few years. I bet someone will be along for an I will take it soon.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I'd suggest calling the local LEOs and asking if they have a group of firearms they are scheduled to destroy / turn over to the ATF for distruction. Some agencies (I imagine) have firearms that are part of cases that aren't able to be returned to someone, so they'd get 1) auctioned, 2) turned over to the ATF, or 3) destroyed.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    You could probably go to a LGS and ask them. I would assume they've come across firearms that were unsafe to fire and couldn't be made safe.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    Have you contacted the manufacturer? Maybe if they are still in buisness they would like it back as a conversation piece and might be willing to compensate you or replace the item. I have seen those rifles before but dont remember who made/imported them.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'd suggest calling the local LEOs and asking if they have a group of firearms they are scheduled to destroy / turn over to the ATF for distruction. Some agencies (I imagine) have firearms that are part of cases that aren't able to be returned to someone, so they'd get 1) auctioned, 2) turned over to the ATF, or 3) destroyed.

This

Wait for a gun buy back program and get $50 for it.

Bob

Or this

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would have said to cut it up. It looks like it could have gotten hot enough to compromise the heat treating, and even refinished, you would never know about the structural integrity. Why take (or expose others) to any chance of injury?

I got a kick out of flatlander's suggestion as saving it for a gun buy back, that is a great idea! The anti Constitution gun grabbers have wasted enough of our money, so you might as well take some of theirs.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for gun buyback. :):

A saw cut across the receiver would be a safe way to disable/destroy it if you have such a tool. Its what Ive seen the grabbers use to destroy them. Reminds me I have an old 22 from my dad's estate. Front ramp is missing, doesnt feed reliably, etc. No sentimental value, but I did tell mom the same thing. Wait for a buyback and get some cash for a nice dinner out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A while back we had a house fire.....most of my firearms were in a safe and survived, however this one and one other were not in the safe and this is the result.....I would guess this is beyond repair...so what do I do with this now? I figure I need to dispose of it, but I am not comfortable with simply putting it in the trash.....trying to figure a way to safely dispose of it....any suggestions????

View attachment 56814

Don't forget that if your homeowner's policy did not cover the loss if your rifle, you have insurance as an NRA member that will.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok, the suspense is killing me. WTF was it? I mean, I can tell it looks generically AR-ish, but I can't really identify a bunch of areas that I would think would survive, or at least not be melted together.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Strap it down to a table, tie a string to the trigger and step back about 100 ft behind cover. Do a true torture test.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    It IS ONLY a .22, so there really isn't much chamber pressure, so MAYBE it is still usable. It is a Squires Bingham model 16 22 "somewhat" copy of the M16.

Last edited:

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Ok, the suspense is killing me. WTF was it? I mean, I can tell it looks generically AR-ish, but I can't really identify a bunch of areas that I would think would survive, or at least not be melted together.

LOL T. Lex...its an old Armscor Model 1600 .22...its not an expensive rifle but it has a lot (or had) a lot of sentimental value....it was my first long gun purchase around 20 years ago....don't have funds to replace it right now...shot great...gonna miss it for sure....Maybe one day I can get another one....Take a breath T Lex...the sus armscor.jpg pense is over LOL....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    hahaha

Awesome. :)

Now, with the additional data point being that it has sentimental value, I'd use all the spare time and elbow grease I had to clean it up as much as possible, without replacing anything. I'd never shoot it, but keep it for what it is: your first long gun.

Top Bottom