Where have all the good deals gone, long time passing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I joined up about 8 years ago back in 2009 and it seems like I was buying on INGO all the time. Of course the information forums are nice, especially when I need advise on a firearm related issue. It seems like there's a lot of knowledgeable guys, and gals, who have had just about every problem there is, so theres a lot of friendly advise given that saves me time, money, and energy. But seriously, where have all the good deals gone? It seems like when something good does come up it's SPF in 30 seconds or less. I don't have time to check the forums that frequently. Anybody else feel the same? Anybody had any great buys they feel like sharing about. I'm just curious to hear what other think.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As INGO has gotten more popular, more people peruse the classifieds, so the deals get taken quickly.

There was a good deal on a rifle that I wasn't really interested in, but I could still see it was a good deal.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    As INGO has gotten more popular, more people peruse the classifieds, so the deals get taken quickly.

There was a good deal on a rifle that I wasn't really interested in, but I could still see it was a good deal.

In addition to that you have the classified squatters that don't post anywhere outside the classifieds. They are here for one thing only, to use the classifieds as a personal marketplace. 100 or less general posts and sometimes upwards of 1000 classified posts. They see something the think they can make a buck flipping and snarf it up quick as it's posted.

OP, you are very right. There is a marked difference between what the classifieds were and what they've become.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    In addition to that you have the classified squatters that don't post anywhere outside the classifieds. They are here for one thing only, to use the classifieds as a personal marketplace. 100 or less general posts and sometimes upwards of 1000 classified posts. They see something the think they can make a buck flipping and snarf it up quick as it's posted.

OP, you are very right. There is a marked difference between what the classifieds were and what they've become.

I agree, with all of the above .....

51 posts, and spend the "rest of their lives",

in the classifieds .....

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I think there are still some really good deals to be found, but agree there is more, "I've only put 100 rounds through it so I still expect to get 99% of the price you can buy it for at your LGS..." than there used to be.

Honestly, there are a couple of guys who are the KINGS of good deals. I check their recent posts just to make sure I haven't missed something they've put in the classifieds!

To a certain degree, you also have to get plain lucky and be on when someone happens to post.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I agree, with all of the above .....

51 posts, and spend the "rest of their lives",

in the classifieds .....

The classifieds are supposed to be a perk for contributing members. For those that have 59 posts & 1026 classified posts, or 95 posts & 922 classified posts...that's become quite a "perk". (cough...cough...free marketplace)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have seen some good deals for sure. They are out there.

Keep in mind guns don't lose any value. I have never lost a penny on a firearm. It's also worth more to some to not have a background check.

Got to check often and have cash/trade ready to go.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    OR, you have the long time lurker, not much time poster, looking for a deal that can't be had because he/she didn't take the time to join the community and make friends, where the best deals are made? 8 years, and your post is about classified deals?

ETA: on my screen, your first page of 30 posts consists of 17 WTB/WTS/WTT posts. Are you part of the community, or just out to make a deal?

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    The good deals are there but just like anything else you have to constantly check, you also have to remember that there is a lot of new gun owners and a lot of them were taking advantage of (purchased their stuff at the all time high prices). Now the expect to make it back at the worst possible time as it is a buyers market right now, also I see more and more people that dump a lot of money on tricking out their firearms and with all due respect they don't even how to operate them properly, you have to look for the good deal as the deals won't come to you.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I love INGO, except the classifieds which I think are mostly a joke. 2 recent examples. Guy trying to sell a used muzzle loader for $125 more than you could buy a brand new one from any website online. Guy trying to sell a used M&P Shield 9mm for twice what they are going now brand new (if you take into account the $75 rebate from S&W). No thanks, INGO classifieds are now mostly just greedy 50 posters trying to take advantage of poor price shoppers. I won't even get started on the guys who paid for over priced AR's last year when they thought Hillary would win and now want to sell them still for more than current market value.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Yes! I can not find Pythons, Boas, Vipers, Diamondbacks for $200-300. I want a S&W Highway Patrolman for $325. Still looking for the M1 Grand for $275. Where are all of the good deals?

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Over the past few years I have had better luck with gun shop used sections than the classifieds here but that is how it crumbles. We aren't owed good deals.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have seen some good deals for sure. They are out there.

Keep in mind guns don't lose any value. I have never lost a penny on a firearm. It's also worth more to some to not have a background check.

Got to check often and have cash/trade ready to go.
    i always lose money on them. :):
    you deffinaty have to jump on the deals or they are gone fast. A lot of people I've befriended here have my number and when I posts something I usually get a text saying "I'll take it" and I do the same to members I've come to know.
    Some members just have the same interests as me and I seek out their ads because I know it's something I'll like, it's just probably a matter of if I have the extra money or not

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    i always lose money on them. :):
    you deffinaty have to jump on the deals or they are gone fast. A lot of people I've befriended here have my number and when I posts something I usually get a text saying "I'll take it" and I do the same to members I've come to know.
    Some members just have the same interests as me and I seek out their ads because I know it's something I'll like, it's just probably a matter of if I have the extra money or not

To me, (and I'm sure LOTS of others) this is the way the INGO classifieds were intended to be. Good members who know each other having the ability to swap and deal in a familiar, safe place with no hassle. Not the mass marketplace it's become.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To me, (and I'm sure LOTS of others) this is the way the INGO classifieds were intended to be. Good members who know each other having the ability to swap and deal in a familiar, safe place with no hassle. Not the mass marketplace it's become.

The general tone/vibe changed right about sandy hook.
    The carpet baggers and profiteers flowed into the forum.
    I still see some fair deals as I spend a lot of time in there.
    I do see the ads that make me laugh......out load.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IMHO, we should have had much much stricter requirements for participation in the classifieds from the beginning. Strict enough to keep classifieds a part of OUR INGO community vs the flippers and traders that now dominate our classifieds.

Used to be that you could get a fairly good grasp of the INGOer you were trading with by post history. Now the majority of our classifieds posters have been here for years, but have less than 500 posts. And their post history is three month's of the same post:

WTS/WTT: Bump

It's sad when the occasional thread gets started about gunbroker or armswhatever how many INGO users won't look to buy or sell here in INGO's classifieds due to the poor reputation our classifieds have developed.

A lot of us predicted this long ago. We shouted from the rooftops at every opportunity in every related thread to please, please, make the rules less flipper/trader-only friendly. Sadly, our predictions have come true.

Hopefully all is not lost. Maybe the classifieds only folks will find the lack of classifieds activity so unpleasant that they will seek other venues. Then again, maybe the new owner will review the classifieds rules?

The classifieds are still usable. I watch them nearly daily unless the budget is weak, then I avoid.
    :evilangel:Note to self; Must avoid classifieds... :nono:

I have a handful of things for sale with more stuff coming, please check out my adds...

:ingo:

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My brother got a good deal that was up for a whole week. I got a good deal last year on an AR that was listed for 5 weeks. I suppose it depends on what you're in the market for.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The general tone/vibe changed right about sandy hook.
    The carpet baggers and profiteers flowed into the forum.
    I still see some fair deals as I spend a lot of time in there.
    I do see the ads that make me laugh......out load.

Oh yeah, I remember. It was a marked difference shortly after. If someone had managed to avoid the news for 2-3 weeks after it happened but was able to watch the classifieds here I'm sure they would have a WTF happened moment.

Some of the ads are very laughable. I fully understand the 'no comments' rule and don't EVER want to see it go away (complete train wreck) but some of the ads make it soooooo hard not to say anything.

I'd love to see the classifieds return to their former glory, sadly that won't happen without rule changes and limits, something that's been made clear is out of the question.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My brother got a good deal that was up for a whole week. I got a good deal last year on an AR that was listed for 5 weeks. I suppose it depends on what you're in the market for.
    You're very right here. I've seen GREAT deals just sit for weeks. Some reduce over time. Others were good or great even from the start. Ingo is more of a picky market than I've ever seen anywhere. It's either hot or it's not. Right now is the worst time to sell. Best time to buy. I honestly see great deals every couple days as long as new stuff is being listed. Sometimes the classys go stagnant and that's the only time they suck. Usually the week or before of the 1500. People are hoping to sell there I think, so the classys die off.
    I still think the ingo classifieds are the best on the internet and that includes gunbroker. But what I look for and buy might be different than what others like and buy. So I can see where someone could be sad about them.
    its always a good laugh though when people don't research their stuff and sell higher used than new

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom