• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've never actually done a private sale before. What is usually a good place you would go for a transaction?

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    The only PPT I've done where a dealer wasn't required was decades ago but caution is recommended. You didn't specify whether you are the buyer or the seller. Here are a few recommendations:

1 - Unless its someone known to you personally, don't meet at one or the other's home. Make it a neutral site. Restaurants are usually good, as long as they don't declare themselves to be gun-free zones. Go inside, have a soft drink, chat it over, finalize the details, complete your bill of sale. Hand over the firearm outside in the parking lot.

2 - Complete a bill of sale, even if the transaction is zero-dollar. Downloadable and printable templates are available online (Google "firearms bill of sale template"). Bill of sale protects you in case the deal goes awry or if the gun is later used in a crime. Lots of folks here will say that Bills of Sale are a pain and it infringes on our rights and all that, but we live in such a litigious society that its a cheap and easy way to deflect legal action quickly without any misunderstandings by the cops, etc.

3 - If you're doing business with a stranger, take a friend or family member with you, someone you trust. They'll likely just sit there while you do the transaction, but there's a psychological factor involved. You're less likely to have any problems resulting from tempers, misspeaking, or the other party simply being a jerk than you would one-on-one.

4 - After the deal, leave. Don't linger. You don't have to go home, just don't stay there. It gives the other guy a chance to think it over, get mad, change his mind, etc.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Public is a key point. I have done deals in grocery store parking lots, Basspro, etc. Just be aware of surroundings. I also try to arrive a little early to a view of surroundings. Use your gut, if it seems off then leave.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    #1 Are we still talking about a firearms transaction?
    #2 Are Dirty Mike and the boys going to be there?

#1 call it whatever you want
    maxresdefault.jpg

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I try to do transfers at a sporting goods store like gander mountain, cabelas, bass pro, etc... Two guys looking at a gun in the parking lot isn't out of place. Gun stores are ok if the store is cool with it, some aren't. I've never met at a police station but I know some have designated parking for Internet transactions, plus if someone says they don't want to meet at a police station you probably don't want to deal with them anyway.

i always show up 30-40 minutes early to survey the area. With that being said, I've done deal here and when living in Michigan. Dealing with people from INGO and MGO I never have much concern. I've also done deals through armslist without a single problem, but try to bring a friend just in case. Most sketchy people on armslist are easy to spot in emails.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I've done several personal sales where I was the buyer and these are the rules I stick to.

1) I have to talk with the seller. If you can read people this is the best start.
    2) Meet at a public place that is neutral. Fast food Wal-Mart, etc.
    3) Don't go alone.
    4) Get at meeting place early.
    5) Leave when done.
    6) Never ever at night.
    7) Never ever in a bad part of town.

I never had a no show and all have went well.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Done a few off of INGO. Never been any issues of safety. From buying a handgun to selling rifles or shotguns.
    I do ask for a bill of sale. DL number for long guns DL and LTC on pistols when selling.

Mostly right off off the highway at a business.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Avoid any gun store parking lots. They frown on it because it could be mistaken for a secondary transaction (part of a straw purchase). Not to mention its bad form; You dont want me having a picnic from my brown bag in your restaurant, they dont want you there unless they are doing the transfer. I got the stink eye swapping some ammo with an INGOer at a gun store lot. Once we told the employee it wasnt a gun transaction he was cool with it. But he sure wasnt happy at first. (he was returning from break and saw us on his way into the shop)

Also if you are going to bring a friend, mention it to the other party beforehand. Expecting one person and a group shows up, and spidey senses can start tingling.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Always find a public place just do not broadcast your intentions by walking around with a gun. Low key car to car.
    Done more transactions with Ingo people than I can remember and save for maybe 1 they were all very pleasant. Many took way to long due to the ensuing conversation and bonding.

Off Ingo I am armed and aware and sometimes have back up.
    After a while repeat meetups with those you already know are common and looked forward to. Sometimes charred cow parts are involved......with cheese.....and bacon.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I've done them in public places and a couple at my home. Doesn't bother me either way. I never ask for Billnof sale or personal information. It's an invasion of someone's privacy. I don't want the government prying so I don't either. Had one issue where had to answer to whereabouts of past firearm. I told the truth. I sold it to a private individual. Sorry, I don't have their info. Good luck. No problems and that was the end of it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've done them in public places and a couple at my home. Doesn't bother me either way. I never ask for Billnof sale or personal information. It's an invasion of someone's privacy. I don't want the government prying so I don't either. Had one issue where had to answer to whereabouts of past firearm. I told the truth. I sold it to a private individual. Sorry, I don't have their info. Good luck. No problems and that was the end of it.

I have had a few Ingo people to my home as well.

Top Bottom