Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The liberals are giddy at finding this guy:
    How An NRA Ad Led A Member To Quit : NPR

He admits he was never a member by choice, but coerced into membership to join a gun club, nevertheless, he makes a good point. Personally, I find this commercial way to pandering, hyperbolic, divisive, simplistic, etc. I'd rather see them emphasize our heritage, but nothing raises money like scaring people...

[video=youtube;PrnIVVWtAag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrnIVVWtAag[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hyperbolic, sure....but what's inaccurate? The left is operating to appear hyperbolic.

the left incites violence, we respond with truth....which, last time I checked, consists of ideas and words.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hyperbolic, sure....but what's inaccurate? The left is operating to appear hyperbolic.

the left incites violence, we respond with truth....which, last time I checked, consists of ideas and words.

So.... it's an advertisement for Dana Loesch and not the NRA? Yeah, I'm being obtuse, but I don't see a hard connection.

Personally, I'll like the NRA to be "big tent" and not be anti-Democrat, but the Democrats themselves have burnt that bridge - and dynamited the pieces.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I haven't watched the video, but I'm going to guess that Ad is not anywhere near as hyperbolic as the snowflake claims.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yes, the commercial is a little pandering. But that is what commercials do. Just about every criticism he has is applicable to any advertising. "Oh My God, Coca-Cola is putting messages out with the evil intent to get people to buy their product." Really?

OP, I do take issue with your phrasing of saying he was coerced into membership. He simply states he joined the NRA as part of the requirement of membership in a local gun club. That is the norm across the nation as those clubs often have their insurance through the NRA and thus it is a requirement for membership.

God I hate the bigotry of the Left.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I discussed this ad with a few of my leftist friends. They claimed the NRA was saying if you disagree with someone get a gun and shoot them. I broke the video down and explained how it was a stretch by any means to make that connection. The video dives into politics more than my liking and does incite fear. Politics are hot right now and fear always sells. It's a marketing ploy and a very good one that will help generate money. The commercial will be forgotten in a year so it's a pointless debate. I support the NRA bc they are the most powerful 2A support group. They get people elected that help protect our second most important fundamental right.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, the commercial is a little pandering. But that is what commercials do. Just about every criticism he has is applicable to any advertising. "Oh My God, Coca-Cola is putting messages out with the evil intent to get people to buy their product." Really?
    Remember the Pepsi riot ad? Yeah, they got a black eye on that one. They went too deep into politics and so does this.

OP, I do take issue with your phrasing of saying he was coerced into membership. He simply states he joined the NRA as part of the requirement of membership in a local gun club. That is the norm across the nation as those clubs often have their insurance through the NRA and thus it is a requirement for membership.
    Perhaps "coerced" was hyperbolic on my part. ;)

How about obligated.

My guess, without anything else is he's also against standard capacity magazines and in favor of mandatory checks for all sales, etc., etc.

In other words, I doubt the NRA will miss him (but maybe his money).

Maybe my objection is that it's a political ad; and I hate political ads. They're so interchangeable:

They do X in order to get Y, and Z are pawns and biased, but you, my friends have the truth and are unbiased!

6dab65bd8d59b6205a233b55cfa07b77e453dd116d73b9dd6ad515c57ec6e4c7.jpg

I'm not defending liberalism or progressivism at all, but I am just tired of the intensification of the divide. The fact is everyone is biased and only God knows the absolute truth.

Not quite applicable, but still quite interesting: https://youarenotsosmart.com/2015/1...ople-who-see-the-world-differently-are-wrong/

Still, I don't see the connection with the NRA other than that she's the current female champion.

(Personally, I prefer Julie Golob :naughty:)

God, I hate bigotry.
    FIFY.

Your complaint about "the bigotry of the left" is, I believe, unintentionally ironic. Seriously - how is this ad not intolerant of any other view than one expressly held by Dana?

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Maybe my objection is that it's a political ad; and I hate political ads. They're so interchangeable:

Couldn't agree more. Gone are the days though where the NRA was all about shooting and minimal politics were involved. Whatever the NRA says, a third of the membership will think they went too far and a third will say not far enough. I see this a lot at the local level with the Friends of NRA committee work. Folks will come up to the table at a show where we are selling raffle tickets and launch into some political diatribe. I try and stress the FNRA raises money for non-political activities but most folks can't make that distinction.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I haven't watched the video, but I'm going to guess that Ad is not anywhere near as hyperbolic as the snowflake claims.

I think they see the images and hear the description of what they are responsible for and it stings. And naturally they dont want to believe that they are guilty of anything so they try to deflect and twist the message into saying she is encouraging US to do what they are seen doing.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So.... it's an advertisement for Dana Loesch and not the NRA? Yeah, I'm being obtuse, but I don't see a hard connection.

I can't believe you are still harping on Dana after all these years...I told you she MIGHT...Key word MIGHT show you her honkers when you gave her those beads during Mardi Gras......You didn't have to give her all of your beads and she didn't have to show them to you...

It's a free market.....Just let it go Jetta...Let it go...

:)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Notice that I refer to leftists, not Democrats. All Democrats are not leftists.

Gun rights will never find a home with leftists. Leftists want their chosen elites to be armed and no one else. Fighting against leftists? I would say it's well within the NRA's purview as it relates to protecting gun rights for all

Sure, this ad uses imagery to make the point that leftists are the ones being violent...so?

Like other topics discussed on INGO, if one is offended by the images being shown and the message, it says more about the person who feels offended than anything.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Notice that I refer to leftists, not Democrats. All Democrats are not leftists.

Gun rights will never find a home with leftists. Leftists want their chosen elites to be armed and no one else. Fighting against leftists? I would say it's well within the NRA's purview as it relates to protecting gun rights for all

Sure, this ad uses imagery to make the point that leftists are the ones being violent...so?

Like other topics discussed on INGO, if one is offended by the images being shown and the message, it says more about the person who feels offended than anything.

I'll give credit where credit due. Hough, you're an intelligent person. How many people do you think make a distinction between Democrats and Leftists?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I can't believe you are still harping on Dana after all these years...I told you she MIGHT...Key word MIGHT show you her honkers when you gave her those beads during Mardi Gras......You didn't have to give her all of your beads and she didn't have to show them to you...

It's a free market.....Just let it go Jetta...Let it go...

:)

Always the diffuser, aren't you? :D

Honestly, I don't think I've ever listened to her before (it was really noisy that night), not sure I care for her much - rabble rousers aren't my type; quick shootin' blondes are.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Always the diffuser, aren't you? :D

Honestly, I don't think I've ever listened to her before (it was really noisy that night), not sure I care for her much - rabble rousers aren't my type; quick shootin' blondes are.

Dana before she was big on TV and in more radio markets was... much more enjoyable and calm.

She's figured out what sells, though... and that's anger.

I did fix her iPad once.

me.jpg

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Morning Edition was all excited about an NRA member dropping his membership over the ad.

<iframe src="https://www.npr.org/player/embed/535920407/535920408" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player"></iframe>

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Not sure why his opinion matter any more than anyone else's. From the NRA perspective, this ad will attract how many members vs. how many members will quit. Plain and simple.

My opinion is I like the ad. Hope nobody quits the NRA because of my opinion.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The NRA is more than happy to have dems. All the dems have to do is end their efforts to kill off the Second Amendment. Sadly they have made it one of their main agendas.

So just as Dana outlines, know your enemy...

Top Bottom