• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have a Gun Vault from years back, but would like to modernize.

Besides condoms that is!

You laugh. But. (Trigger warning: thread jack)

My dad was WWII Army Air Corps mechanic, served in Pacific Theater from late 1942 to end of the war, New Guinea, Biak, Philippines, various other islands.

He said on such island a cargo ship unloaded a big pile of stuff, one of which turned out to be a crate with about 10,000 condoms in it. They were like WTF, then had an idea: the condoms were perfect for protecting the barrels of .30 and .50 cal machine guns on the fighters and bombers. Stretched them over the barrels and secured them at the base with masking tape. Kept out rain, dust, bugs, etc. First time pilot or gunner fired a round POOF! vaporized.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As someone who lives in the biometric universe professionally, avoid them if it is for a life or death situation. A long gun vault full of unloaded guns where the ammo is stored elsewhere and you just dont want to hassle with a keypad or dial? OK. But for the quick access safe your home defense weapon is in? No. Just no.

The sensors and processors they put in these units are not reliable nor fast enough for a foolproof "it just HAS to work" situation.

When you hear breaking glass at 2am is not the time to find out that you just arent holding your finger right over the sensor, or that the fingerprint database has crapped out and you need to go find your key to override. Or you forgot to put that fancy wristband with the proximity sensor back on after your shower.

Heck, I'm not even sure I'd trust anything less than the Stonelock Pro facial recognition sensor that is on one of my server room doors. And that thing is exponentially more expensive than anything these safe companies put in their products. And possibly worth more than the safe itself)

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    Nightstand, desk, wall rack.

When seconds count locks take minutes.

I think his is pretty asinine to say. Yes, obviously no safe or lock is far more speedy. Do we really need someone to tell us that? OP needs a safe. Probably has kids around like many people. If you need to gain minutes to access your safe, do what I do. Let your kids leave a healthy amount of toys spread across the floor. A baby gate or two on the stairs. Better security on your doors and windows.

I've spend a lot of time looking for a reliable pistol safe. I haven't purchased or used one I can easily recommend.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I used to use a "gun vault" that had a simplex lock. It was even big enough to fit my S&W 629 and the lock was simple and easy to use.
    with 5 buttons and the ability to set your own combination, I understand there are about 10 million possible combinations (more than enough possibilities for me anyway). No children in the house now, so I just use the night stand

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Push-button w/ keyed backup.

GunVault MiniVault for me. Pretty sure I have the GV2000S. Mine has the shelf in it.

It can comfortably fit 3 holstered firearms + reloads.

ETA: When my first born wasn't yet mobile, I'd open the thing at night and then close it in the morning when I got ready for work. Now that I have 2 kids that are old enough to seriously get into trouble - it's locked almost 100% of the time unless I'm removing or reinstalling something.

And I HOPE that I never have to open that thing, at night, and in a panic.... But I still wouldn't trust a biometric one due to what has been stated above.

Spaceman Spiff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2017
    Henderson
    I used to use a "gun vault" that had a simplex lock. No children in the house now, so I just use the night stand

I have a V-Line with a simplex lock for my 357. Works well, no batteries. I have a shotgun shotlock solo vault with a mechanical lock on my 870, it was a little more fickle to setup, but is also good. Both run $100-150. Neither are massive, burglar proof boxes, but both will keep kids out.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a V-Line with a simplex lock for my 357. Works well, no batteries. I have a shotgun shotlock solo vault with a mechanical lock on my 870, it was a little more fickle to setup, but is also good. Both run $100-150. Neither are massive, burglar proof boxes, but both will keep kids out.

Just for fun, can you link to these products? :D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think his is pretty asinine to say. Yes, obviously no safe or lock is far more speedy. Do we really need someone to tell us that? OP needs a safe. Probably has kids around like many people. If you need to gain minutes to access your safe, do what I do. Let your kids leave a healthy amount of toys spread across the floor. A baby gate or two on the stairs. Better security on your doors and windows.

I've spend a lot of time looking for a reliable pistol safe. I haven't purchased or used one I can easily recommend.
    So you call Thor's answer asinine because he doesn't give any actual suggestion on a vault/safe... but your answer is to keep your house messy.

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    So you call Thor's answer asinine because he doesn't give any actual suggestion on a vault/safe... but your answer is to keep your house messy.

My answer was that I had no pistol safe recommendations. For a pistol safe, I have a HDX-150. But would not ever suggest anyone purchase it.

My post was not about keeping my house messy. It was mildly humorous in regards to the many ways a person could slow down a would be intruded so as to gain you more time to access a safely stored pistol. Sometimes, going all 1600's pioneer and keeping loaded weapons freely hanging around the home isn't a choice due to kids, wives, interior decorators or common sense.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Dimitrivich, humorous...you keepa unsin that word, I don thin it means what you thin it means.

I have a couple of safes, I don't keep defensive weapons in them. I teach my family to respect weapons and how to shoot straight, but I suppose that's too 1600's for you.

Top Bottom