• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I've been playing with the idea of an AR9 pistol that takes Glock mags. Maybe add a brace or make it an SBR down the road.

Does anyone have one? I'm curious how you like it, reliability, etc...

thanks!

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have a custom built AR-9 SBR on a Quarter Circle 10 lower. 5" barrel. It is a blowback design so it has been 100% reliable. I love mine so much, inbuilt a matching on in .45 ACP (AR-45)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I built an AR9 last year on a PSA dedicated lower designed for Colt magazines.
    I enjoy it a lot. It is very accurate at 25 yards and has not skipped a beat.

I'm also toying with the idea of a .45acp AR, but I'm thinking carbine over pistol.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I built two different glock 9mm lowers into 7" barrel pistols (new frontier armory & quarter circle 10). They both fed fmj ammo 100%, but neither would feed speer 147gr gold dot jhp ammo, so i sold them and built another qc10 pistol on a lower that takes colt smg 9mm mags. So far it's feeding all ammo including 147gr gold dots just fine, using good Metalform mags.

I like glock mags, but i could tell their feed geometry wasnt optimal for the blowback ar setup with fixed barrel. Glock mags were made to feed into a tilted barrel.

The colt smg style mags feed from a much better angle for blowback ars and their fixed barrels. The bolt hold open is much more simple and reliable than the glock lowers too.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    I've been playing with the idea of an AR9 pistol that takes Glock mags. Maybe add a brace or make it an SBR down the road.

thanks!

Working on an AR-9 pistol, but its a slooowww project, meaning that I'm in no hurry, looking for deals on components, spend a little here, a little there. So far I have the lower and LPK, pistol buffer tube kit (but not the actual buffer that I plan on) and a couple other Magpul parts. Can't really decide on barrel length but I'd like to go with a short one plus a muzzle device. Based on what I've found online I plan to do mine with Colt-type mags but I can't decide on which magwell block to get. Seems there are plenty of makers of lowers built for Glock without a separate block but I haven't been able to find any for Colt that weren't pricey. Anyway, after I get the pistol done I plan to eventually take it SBR but in the meantime its nice that we can now shoulder a pistol brace.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    20150716_230656_zpsvfvdoai4.jpg
    [/IMG]

My 10.5" AR9 pistol that I build about a year and a half ago.
    Very accurate to 100 yards, quick handling, inexpensive to shoot and great fun. I have 20 and 32 round ASC mags and I have also modified inexpensive Uzi mags with great success. I could find no reason to waste money on getting permission from uncle sugar to build an SBR.
    No, it is not a full power round like a 5.56 AR. It doesn't pretend to be. Just like any other true sub gun.

With this upper on a friend's SBR lower and a bumpfire stock, it has a cyclic rate around 400 rounds per minute with no hiccups.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I HAD an AR9 pistol (Colt pattern)... Had.

It was a grand dream about 2 years in the making. Cost way too much money.

By the time I had it completed and got it running... I had fallen way out of "love" with the project. Sig brace + 5" barrel. It was way heavier than it looked.

If I do something like that again, I'll likely just buy/build an SBR (with a longer than 5" barrel) and be done with it. Should have done that in the first place.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Mine started out life as a "pistol" but shortly after I sent of the paperwork. I can honestly say its probably the most fun AR style rifle I own. Only one downside is the amount of 9mm you will go through ;). I went with a NFA lower when they were running a sale on them and got it for a very good price and one of their Glock cut bolts. Only downside was they didn't have last round bolt hold open incorporated into the lower (didn't know that before purchasing), but it hasn't been to big a deal I shoot it quite a bit. They do sell a upper with it incorporated into it, but I haven't bought one yet. Over all their just at on of fun....

9mm_SBR.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

thanks!

have an SBR. Mines colt pattern. I think they are more reliable than the glock-mag designs. Seems the odds of getting a good glock-mag gun are higher than they were a few years ago, but still seems to be a lot more luck of draw.

reliability has been fantastic. runs and runs. recently re-barreled from 5" to 12" to better work in the new USPSA PCC division.

gun is stupid fun, especially with silencer. Wife likes to shoot it, which she doesn't like to shoot .223 ARs due to the noise.

-rvb

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I bought the Joe Bob spartan 9mm lower in January. Been waiting for 6 months for the matching billet upper with lrbho feature. Finally got it last night so now I'll build mine out. It's a glock pattern since I have 4 or 5 of the 33rd sticks. I'll form 1 the lower and run a faxon 8.5" barrel. It'll share time with the Ti-rant 45 can till I decide if I want a dedicated 9mm can

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I thought about building one but reconsidered for the moment since I already got a Scorpion for that role

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I thought about building one but reconsidered for the moment since I already got a Scorpion for that role

I already had two Sub 200's and a Sig MPX....but that didn't stop me from building an AR-9. A role can be filled by many actors.

But then again...I have a gun problem.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    I've got one. :)

I put one off for the longest time, and now every-time I shoot it, I think to myself, "What took me sooooo long?" Then, I remember, the whole reason it's cool now is being able to shoulder and avoid the NFA stamp with the SB brace.

Here's mine..little more AR..Sig MPX PSK. I replaced the stock trigger with a Giessele Super 3 Gun, with the light spring set...topped with a Trijicon MRO and sporting a SureFire Ultra 400 (Green Laser), on the the thumb. Below the pic is some spare footage I grabbed yesterday. I was out grabbing footage for a LabRadar review, and decided to make use of some spare ammo. Just moved to Indiana, so I'm still waiting for my paperwork to catch up with me to run suppressed here.

Admittedly, I went to the top end, functionally, I've shot little Keltec Sub-2000s and they do the exact same thing.

mpx_web.jpg

[video]https://youtu.be/JqHaib2UdDw[/video]

Top Bottom