• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Here is a weird question. I have absolutely no experience with this and I'm sure it's best to ask her doctor. However, it is Saturday and I'm curious. My friends wife has been wanting to learn how to shoot but she is 6-7mo pregnant. I have a 10/22 and revolver that shoot 22lr and what she would start out with. Has anyone had a pregnant wife that still shot?

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    She'll be fine as long as she's outdoors or in a well ventilated area and she doesn't lick the lead off her fingers when she's done

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Still going to be Noise involved. 7 months pregnant I would stick to a lesson and dry fire for another few moths.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I would say yes she can. She should use hearing protection and wear protective glasses while shooting. As long as she is safe with the gun, there should be no problem with her doing this but I am not a mediacl professional. I just have been shooting with other pregnant women and they nor their babies had any ill effects.

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    I'm no doctor nor do I play one on tv but if it were my wife and child I would have zero conserns of her shooting her .22s. In fact she probably did with all four.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    INOT a medical type person, but sound travels through liquid better than air. I would think it could be harmful to baby? Especially that far along where ears may have developed. Unless she feels there is an immediate threat to be preparing for, I'd wait. Just IMO.

-rvb

jasonh31

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    North Manchester
    My wife sighted in a 20ga for deer season, I'm sure it's not a big deal.
    Lead exposure is IMO the bigger deal than the sound. She did not load the gun or clean it.

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    INOT a medical type person, but sound travels through liquid better than air. I would think it could be harmful to baby? Especially that far along where ears may have developed. Unless she feels there is an immediate threat to be preparing for, I'd wait. Just IMO.

-rvb

Actually there could be something to this^^^ above. I was informed at the Federal LE Traning center there was some concern in the medical field of the possibility of hearing loss with pregnant women. Medical opinions vary of course but it is an resonable presumption!.

Along with all the lead exposure concerns.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So, it looks like sound and lead are an issue...I guess that Black Sabbath / Led Zeppelin double header is right out.

I wouldn't let her shoot my .45-70 but I don't see the issue with a .22. Humans are resilient. YMMV. Way too much nannyism going on in todays world. IMHO. Have you ever tried to listen to anything under water? The sound waves coming through air impacting a rounded solid structure (mom) is not going to translate to anything significant reaching the soon to be kid.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What I know is that a pregnant woman 7 or 8 months along attended a pistol match just to watch. She said the baby jumped every time a gun was fired. I took that to mean the baby could hear the gunshots

What is the harm in waiting until after delivery?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO ..... YMMV a rifle, is quieter, that a pistol, revolver, or shotgun .....

Rry it with your hand on the baby .....

I it jumps, then no .....

after that, it is all on you two .....

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I talked to my wife's OB/GYN about this. One of her patients was a firearms instructor for a law enforcement agency so the doc did the research and determined the noise was not harmful.

Yes, noise transfers through liquid faster than air, but it does not cross the liquid/air boundary particularly well. Ever put your hands over your ears to protect them from sound? Ever go underwater and try to listen to someone talking from outside the water?

Top Bottom