Tactfully telling someone their gun handling is awful?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I have a friend who is really bad about waving guns around in his home. I know they're unloaded but it really freaks me out. It's terrible safety practice and I want to say something but I really do not want to cause offense.

Is there a good way to bring this up without causing offense?

I am socially-inept too often for my own comfort so that doesn't help...

For that matter, is there a tactful way to say this in a gun store? I have seen it a lot, especially during sales at bigger stores. Cabelas' opening days were really bad for that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am socially-inept too often for my own comfort so that doesn't help...

For that matter, is there a tactful way to say this in a gun store? I have seen it a lot, especially during sales at bigger stores. Cabelas' opening days were really bad for that.

You tell them:

"Muzzle" or "I am NOT a safe direction!" (Guess what their response is in 100% of the cases, come on guess. Ok, I'll tell you, "eet ain't low-dead" with gun shop teeth).

Or step in close to them so them cannot point it at you as they wave their gun about like pom-poms.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In this specific situation, simply asking him not to point guns at you should suffice. In a less personal situation something along the lines of telling the offending individual once more or less politely and if that doesn't work something like "Quit pointing guns at me or I'm going to break you damned arm" may be necessary.

I would also point out that there are plenty of people who will walk in front of a gun. I have had this happen in the gun shop, testing a gun for feel AFTER ASCERTAINING A SAFE DIRECTION IN WHICH TO POINT IT only to have some idiot walk in front of me. I am not sure what to say about that.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    First offense: "DUDE!", while using my hand to redirect the muzzle somewhere else.

Second offence: "**** DUDE!"

Third offence: "WHAT IN THE MOTHER ****, DUDE!".

In all honesty, I've never had the issue with friends. A couple times with inexperienced family, and I just gently moved the muzzle. They figured it out.

Gun store? Just be prepared for more sweeping than a Hoover.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    "If you point that at me again im going to bust you in the teeth, want a beer?" You dont have to sound like a jerk whilst saying it, just serious enough, maybe give a smile and a chuckle at the end so he knows you arent pissed off. If yall are buddies he will get the picture. As for a gun shop, the way i tactifully avoid having guns pointed at me is by finding the nearest exit sign.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As for a gun shop, the way i tactifully avoid having guns pointed at me is by finding the nearest exit sign.

I guess Bob must have a better grade of customers than average. As long as I pay attention to avoid walking in front of guns already being pointed for fit and feel, I have never had a problem there.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    How about "please watch where you point that thing"? There's also "You know that if you point it like that at the range, you'll get thrown out, right?".

And then there's throwing your hands in front of your face and ducking.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have always been very blunt. I temper what I say on forums, but in person I speak my mind.

Just tell your friend he is a moron and then explain why.

MSS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I understand where you are coming from... I, mysely, try to avoid what might seem like a confrontational situation. I own a gun store, so like you with your friend, I try and keep a positive report with my new customers while maintaining a level of safety and not letting them feel like an idiot. In most cases, people are muzzle flashing others simply due to a lack of training or familiarity with firearms and firearms customs (when it comes to safety). I use a few strategies with my customers that might work with your friend:
    1.) If I am muzzle flashed, I will very obviously and deliberately move out of the way of the muzzle... Usually when someone muzzle flashes someone else, they are simply looking at the side of the firearm and accidentally have it pointed in an unsafe direction witout realising it. By gesturing that I am deliberately moving aside, it makes them realize that they are pointing a gun at me and (usually 99% of the time) they stop muzzle flashing me for the rest of their experience in my store. In this case, my gesture allows the customer to immediately realize their error, and I didnt have to call them a bad name and make them feel stupid.
    2.) If I move out of the way, yet they still don't get the picture and continue to follow me with the muzzle, I will ususally say something like "go ahead and point the firearm in a safe direction and test the trigger". That way, I am directing the muzzle to a safe direction (away from me and other customers) for the purpose of allowing them to test the firearm. Usually in this case, they will hand the gun back to me after they are done, or continue to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
    3.) If 2 and 3 don't work, and they continue to muzzle flash me or customers, I will just politely ask them to keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction and explain the safety reasons for doing so. If they are still unable to follow my instructions, then I ask for the firearm back and suggest classes (but it has really hardly ever come to this point).

Like others have said, safety is the most important... It can be difficult being direct with other people (especially with friends and family) but in circumstances regarding firearms safety, it is required.

Also, you could tell him you want to take a class and you want him to join you. If he routinely has bad muzzle control, an instructor will catch it and correct it. That way, the instructor delivered the advice and not you.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Tackle them and control the immediate threat, but then, kindly offer them a pop-tart or other inert training aid to point at you instead of a gun. ;)

Pop-Tart-Gun.jpg

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I guess I don't mind making someone angry or disliking me! When someone points any firearm at me or other innocent people, I will quickly and loudly inform them that they shouldn't / can't do that in my presence. To me it is like someone smoking while carrying a bucket of gasoline near me, not going to happen long! If they get angry, so what? Better they get their feelings hurt than shoot someone!

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    You know those tracts that Christians pass out, leave in restaurants, etc? We need gun safety tracts (or pamphlets) that we can pass out: the 4 rules, maybe some Cooper quotes, etc...

Top Bottom