• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    While still speculation, I can offer a reason why the cameras - particularly the dash cam - were not on: the lights/siren wasn't on. My professional experience in this area, which gets more remote by the day, is that the dash cam automatically comes on when the lights/siren are activated. My understanding of the body cam systems is that they are similarly triggered. They both can be manually activated (or deactivated), but by default are not activated.

So, when the police roll up on this call, they probably didn't have their siren going, to just take a report. The lady walks over to them, the lights aren't activated, so the cameras aren't either.

I'm open to being corrected on the more modern technology, or this particular department's use of them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why all the fear-biting in Minneapolis? (I know it is early, but this smells like it; I admit that it could have been negligence as well).

Is this a training issue inherent to Minnesota or MPD or what?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So much more info needed. Based on what came out of the Castillo case it doesn't look good for any officer involved.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Though this raises several legitimate questions, I wouldn't worry about widespread protests or this becoming more than a local story.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    No body cams as they were still in the car. As I read it the lady was at the drivers door window speaking to the driving officer when the passenger officer took it upon themselves to shoot her. Bad shoot. Very very bad shoot. A go straight to prison bad shoot. If I was the driving officer I think I would be pretty pissed at my partner because the driver almost certainly now has permanent hearing loss.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Though this raises several legitimate questions, I wouldn't worry about widespread protests or this becoming more than a local story.

I agree, and your post points out why, quite nicely.... you're first comment, is that the instance raises a legitimate concern. You haven't interjected any unknown facts, nor attacked the character of the deceased based on past actions.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    It's a little early to pass judgement on this one.
    The article made mention several times that no cameras were on, almost, as if they were trying to lead the readers down the road to, it's a bad shoot. I'll stand by until we have more than three facts.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yea, WTF Minnesota?

Saw another article on it on yahoo, PD is tight lipped until they finish their investigation which makes sense. Heads are gonna roll in that dept!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Possibility of neg. discharge?

More going on than a friendly conversation at the window?

How did she approach the car?

Note to the cop-calling public out there, if you think there's a baddy out in your alley to the extent you think you need police assistance, unarmed, in a robe is not the way to check it out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The article made mention several times that no cameras were on, almost, as if they were trying to lead the readers down the road to, it's a bad shoot. I'll stand by until we have more than three facts.

Judgement will be passed, anyway.

I'm not super up on body cams, but I doubt anyone leaves them on when they are driving around in their car. One of the arguments against body cams already is the huge amount of data to be stored.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Words matter to me. A couple of articles I read said that the body cameras were not on, but that the incident was not "captured" on the dash cam. To me "not captured" is significantly different than "off". Could this mean the dash cam was rolling "looking" forward while the action was out of view of the camera? Could there be audio from the dash cam?

Could reporters be using inaccurate language because journalism types are big on "change the world", but not so big on clarity and precision?

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm not super up on body cams, but I doubt anyone leaves them on when they are driving around in their car. One of the arguments against body cams already is the huge amount of data to be stored.

I have to turn my body cam on manually whenever I make a stop or get out on a run then I turn it off after I'm done. I honestly forget to turn it on sometimes when things happen quickly. I'm not saying that was the case with this incident, that's just my personal experience with body cams.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So hot pajama girl is leaning in to the driver side talking to that officer , when the officer in the passenger seat opens fire? Did I get that right? The driver had to have about crapped his pants if he didn't know that was coming...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

I too am standing by.

While doing so, I am trying to imagine what currently unknown facts could come out at some future date that will make this one all OK.

So far, I got nuthin.:dunno:

Top Bottom