• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I need some quick help.
    I have a chance to buy a new Thompson Center Compass bolt action rifle for $213 after a mail-in T/C rebate.

I understand these are bottom of the line guns, but are they still quality made?
    Advertisements say it carries the T/C sub-MOA guarantee, has an adjustable trigger, and has a threaded barrel.

So, I'm guessing it's worth $213, but I'd really like to hear some real world reviews before I hit the buy button.
    What say Ingo, can you help me decide?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I know that Venture and Dimension lines of guns are great - hell, even AMAZING for the price.

I'm not sure what the Compass lacks compared to these. *IF it has their 5R rifling, buy with confidence* If not, it's still probably a hair better than Savage Axis, Rem 770, etc. just because T/C has always had good fit & finish in my exp.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    My take here...

'So, I'm guessing it's worth $213, but I'd really like to hear some real world reviews before I hit the buy button.
    What say Ingo, can you help me decide"

A friend of mine called me up awhile back and said that he had bought one of these in .243 Win.
    He is an "Old Time" reloader, and could not get his .243 Win. handloads to chamber?? Factory loads WOULD chamber.

He dropped off the rifle and some brass/loads for me to check.

He had not pushed back the shoulder enough=loading problem.

I went ahead and put together 40 rounds for him with some 95gr. Nosler projectiles for Deer.

What I did NOT care for on this rifle was the EXCESSIVE room around the bolt locking lugs/chamber area?? This would cause the pointed ammo loads to drag going into the chamber. I did not have any factory loads to test this with, but around 10% of my KNOWN QUALITY handloads would try to hang up??

Other than that, it seems a GREAT buy for the $$$....Bill.

Top Bottom