An article with an interesting point of view and what I think, lets debate.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/shtf-drop-ak-pick-shotgun/

I commented on this on Facebook but think Ill get more discussion here

I strongly Disagree with this article for several reasons a few things that caught my attention though.

1 “It was never intended to protect a family after a natural disaster and is ill suited to that purpose”
    They say this in reference to the AK. Well the shotgun wasn’t designed for this either, in fact I would say no gun was actually designed for this purpose. However the AK was designed for war which if you ask me is a pretty disastrous situation.

2 “The shotgun itself has a modern, modular design with many aftermarket upgrades available. I recommend a flashlight and Tritium sights for home-defense use”
    The AK has all of this too. This is 2017 not 1970 the AK has plenty of aftermarket support, the AK is a timeless design. If it wasn’t effective it wouldn’t be made anymore. Also the 870 was first produced in 1950 and has been relatively unchanged in design since. Far from modern if you ask me and like the AK also timeless.

3 “The AK has a rough trigger and poor sights. If it ever gets dark where you live, you might consider how hard it is to see those sights at night”
    Rough sights and trigger? Sometimes put a tapco G2 trigger in or a giessle and your good. Sights? Yeah rough so put a red dot on it for night time. I can’t see my 870 Irons at night either. Also the Taliban can shoot their AKs out to 300 yards with Irons and make relatively effective combat hits so whats your excuse? don’t believe me? Go ask the guys who got shot by them and see what they think about the matter. AK irons are adjustable for elevation out to 300 for a reason.

4 “Without a magazine or available ammo, the AK is a pretty ineffective club”
    After you empty those 9 rounds your 870 is also a “pretty ineffective club” as well, difference is you’ll get to “ineffective club” status a lot sooner with an 870.
    Again 2017, ammo and mags for AKs are relatively cheap and readily available. AKs were designed to use steel case ammo. Steel case ammo is super cheap. If you’re using this gun for disaster preparedness you should have stocked up on ammo and mags anyway.

5. United States Vice President Joe Biden is a big shotgun fan. He has recommended shotguns as the best choice for home defense. As he famously said “You don’t need an AR, you don’t need thirty rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun. If you want to protect yourself, get a double barreled shotgun.”

Are you really going to take firearms advice from a Democrat VP who pushed so much gun control? you wouldn't ask an arsonist how to put out a fire.

Shotguns have their place but for this role I think an AK is more than capable and to me much preferred over a shotgun. You can shoot everything in shotgun range with an AK but you cant do the reverse.. Disagree with me if you want just my opinion.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    To each his own. True versatility, if in a survival situation including hunting for food, a shotgun wins. It can take down large game, small game, waterfowl and game birds. One could argue the AK in this, but it would be tough rabbit and squirrel hunting with it. Combat with 2-legged varmints, I would choose an AK, if I had ammo, mags, proven reliable.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    To each his own. True versatility, if in a survival situation including hunting for food, a shotgun wins. It can take down large game, small game, waterfowl and game birds. One could argue the AK in this, but it would be tough rabbit and squirrel hunting with it. Combat with 2-legged varmints, I would choose an AK, if I had ammo, mags, proven reliable.

Absolutely, a shotgun for that, very verstile.

I guess I am looking at this point of view from a Defense/offense verse people rather than a survival standpoint. That was what I was feeling this article was addressing.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I don't own, an ak .....

So, I guess I'll just lie in bed, with my S&W, and my 12 ga., & my CZ,

beside me, and let the bad guy do what he wants to .....:laugh: .....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll add to this. In SHTF, folks will quickly come to understand that all firearms will be for self defense. There will soon be no hunting of game with firearms as quickly hunters will understand that they are the prey as soon as a round is fired.

Preparing for SHTF?
    I'll make my primary weapons the caliber that the American military and LEO uses.
    I guess it would be fine to have an AK, in case we are occupied by a country whose military uses such. Think I'll just wait for that and pick one up off the ground though. ;)

Wolverines!
    108402728.3lkTuzvd.RedDawnWOLVERINES.jpg

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'll add to this. In SHTF, folks will quickly come to understand that all firearms will be for self defense. There will soon be no hunting of game with firearms as quickly hunters will understand that they are the prey as soon as a round is fired.

Preparing for SHTF?
    I'll make my primary weapons the caliber that the American military and LEO uses.
    I guess it would be fine to have an AK, in case we are occupied by a country whose military uses such. Think I'll just wait for that and pick one up off the ground though. ;)

Wolverines!
    View attachment 57560

That is what I said, years ago, I will get mine, for free, off of my dead enemy .....

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I don't have, don't want, and won't have an AK. Shotgun? Entirely different story.

The beauty of all this is I get to make the choice..............as do you.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I agree with the point by point rebuttals the OP has put forth for the most part. I love AKs, however, if I had to choose one the practicality of a shotgun would win.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The biggest issue is that everyone should and do have their own choice due to the second amendment. I have several rifles from an air pellet gun, 22cal, muzzle loaders, Shotguns, AK, AR, Garand's, M1 carbine, LR-308, Swiss, Swedish, English, German etc. war rifles, ranging in caliber from the 22 to 50 BMG. I also have several handguns and Revolvers from 22 to 44 mag. Son and I have ammo for ALL sufficient to last his lifetime.

In a SHTF scenario, everyone's needs may be totally different. a person living in a home surrounded by other homes may be needing a handgun and a shotgun. A person in a rural may need a long range rifle, a hunting firearm like a 22 for small game as well as one for deer and a shotgun for rabbit and bird. To each his own.

As far as the article goes it is quite full of misinformation, One thing he made a big issue of is the magazine release on the AK, while ignoring the fact the AK holds 20 to 40 rounds in one magazine while the shotgun holds 5?. Even with the mag issues it is still several times faster to reload the AK. Then he goes on to say the AK can fail, duh, I have had shotguns fail too and I would estimate the failure rate exceeds the AK.

No one gun fits all, Some due to money may have to use Hi-points (a pretty reliable firearm if ugly) others have Les Baer custom). Both will work!

The possibility of a SHTF issue is somewhat likely though it is not possible what form it would take. It may be a local riot and your only issue is to prevent someone entering your home for a short period of time.

It could be a natural event (earthquake, volcano etc.) that causes a long term issue in major cities regarding food, water or heat, in this event you would need to be prepared to stop crowds of people at longer range, preventing them from invading your home/property. Other issues for a rural family is that to provide a food source hunting may be mandatory. The firearm required would depend on the game available, skill of the hunter etc.

I think everyone will have their own opinion on each of these subject and the author of the article has no better opinion than anyone else!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Unbalanced article by a shotgun fanboy (sounds like it anyway). As such, the reader learns little about the strengths and weaknesses of the platforms.

The title mentions "SHTF," article mentions "natural disaster," and "home protection," - all are left nebulous with neither being defined.

Furthermore, the article only mentions TWO controls on a pump shotgun, the safety button and the pump, - completely forgetting/omitting the action release.

It's obvious the author hasn't even considered some things.

The article's ideas are characterized by fuzziness. Pretty sloppy and about as useful.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    some valid points but easily countered: most shotguns don't come with better sights than an AK and lets have a reloading competition: retaining an AK mag or shoving 9 new shells in a tube. "If you want to protect your self get a double barrel" So the author has a 9-shot pump but advocates a 2-shot while bemoaning reload speed of any box mag?

Just goes to show you don't need a liberal arts/journalism degree to be a crappy writer. I read an article the other day about how decockers are the devil. I particularly liked the explanation of how there are two kinds, those that reset the lever and some that don't, which means you have to remember to reset the control before you can fire. I was confused for a minute until I realized those go by another name. About as well thought out of an article and about as well justified of an argument.

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    I don't have, don't want, and won't have an AK. Shotgun? Entirely different story.

The beauty of all this is I get to make the choice..............as do you.

So do I. It's a discussion about tastes and preferences. Everyone has his own reasons, why he buys a gun. In addition to that, shotguns are more convenient and, therefore, more useful in everyday life - as long as you are not going to take part in a real war.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    He's not just pro-shotgun, but specifically an 870 fanboi.

As a lefty, I detest Remington's safety design and much prefer a thumb switch.

His article was filled with vague, sweeping generalization and written at a fifth grade level (or lower) with gems like this: "If it ever gets dark where you live..." Where is this NOT true?

Top Bottom