• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm sure someone will step up shortly to offer first hand experience but until then I will offer the following. Shortly after the 6.5 Grendel came out I did a lot of research on the round before ultimately deciding to go with a different caliber that better fit my needs. IMO, there is nothing wrong with the cartridge but for most purposes there are better choices in an AR and many far better choices if not restricted to an AR. It is a solution in want of a problem unless your sole purpose is for punching paper at extended range with an AR.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm sure someone will step up shortly to offer first hand experience but until then I will offer the following. Shortly after the 6.5 Grendel came out I did a lot of research on the round before ultimately deciding to go with a different caliber that better fit my needs. IMO, there is nothing wrong with the cartridge but for most purposes there are better choices in an AR and many far better choices if not restricted to an AR. It is a solution in want of a problem unless your sole purpose is for punching paper at extended range with an AR.

Similar exp here. Some more appealing options are AR-10 pattern rifles or bolt guns in a longer-case caliber.
    For the AR platform, overall cartridge length is the most limiting factor.
    If I already shot another gun in a 6.5 variant, I would get a Grendel also. Since I don't, I decided not to.
    Anything in 6.5mm or 7mm is like voodoo magic with ballistics, so I wouldn't diss anyones choice to shoot it.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    After 22-1/2 years, In combat arms, in the Army, I am intimately familiar with the AR platform. I currently have them from 10.5" to 16" barrels, chambered in .22 LR, 9mm, 5.56 and .450 Bushmaster.
    I have been tossing around the idea of putting together an "old school" 20" A3. Fixed stock, flattop with a removable carry handle. I loved the A2 variant, when we had them back in the 90's. And to date myself, when I first enlisted, I was issued an A1 with the giggle switch position on the selector.
    If I went with an AR-10 platform, it would have to be one of the gen ll variants. (Smaller dimensions)
    I honestly don't want to put that much into this new rifle. For half that cost, I can build a standard size AR in a different caliber besides 5.56 (which I am after)
    My intended uses will be paper punching, at extended ranges, varminting, and hunting deer/Antelope and possibly an Elk. (With a premium, 140 grain bullet at 2550 fps, I would in no way be afraid to take a shot at an Elk out to 400 yards.
    I have read about everything that I can find on the round and reloading the round. I am just looking for input from someone who is actually shooting the round.
    And yes, I would reload for this caliber.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    After 22-1/2 years, In combat arms, in the Army, I am intimately familiar with the AR platform. I currently have them from 10.5" to 16" barrels, chambered in .22 LR, 9mm, 5.56 and .450 Bushmaster.
    I have been tossing around the idea of putting together an "old school" 20" A3. Fixed stock, flattop with a removable carry handle. I loved the A2 variant, when we had them back in the 90's. And to date myself, when I first enlisted, I was issued an A1 with the giggle switch position on the selector.
    If I went with an AR-10 platform, it would have to be one of the gen ll variants. (Smaller dimensions)
    I honestly don't want to put that much into this new rifle. For half that cost, I can build a standard size AR in a different caliber besides 5.56 (which I am after)
    My intended uses will be paper punching, at extended ranges, varminting, and hunting deer/Antelope and possibly an Elk. (With a premium, 140 grain bullet at 2550 fps, I would in no way be afraid to take a shot at an Elk out to 400 yards.
    I have read about everything that I can find on the round and reloading the round. I am just looking for input from someone who is actually shooting the round.
    And yes, I would reload for this caliber.

I don't know what you have been reading but there is no way you are going to get a 140 grain bullet up to 2550 fps out of a 6.5 Grendel. The 6.5 Grendel can barely get a 120 grain bullet up to that velocity from a 24" barrel let alone from a 20". The .308 sized 6.5 Creedmoor can barely reach 2550 with 140 grn bullet from a 20" barrel. Even if the Grendel were capable of that level of performance, it would be approaching the minimum velocity threshold for proper expansion of most premium bullets and retained energy would be marginal for elk.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Two70,
    Yes, Sir. I was thinking about the 140s when I was typing. It should have read, 123 grain.
    Data received from a 6.5G shooter, on another site.

** 28.5 gr of 8208 with a CCI 450 and am running 2590 fps out of a 20" SD upper.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good info. To respond to OP and my original answer above - if that's what you want, go for it.
    All of your reasons are logical, just make sure youre famiar with the rounds' capabilities.
    And, keep us up to date w/ pics :)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Two70,
    Yes, Sir. I was thinking about the 140s when I was typing. It should have read, 123 grain.
    Data received from a 6.5G shooter, on another site.

** 28.5 gr of 8208 with a CCI 450 and am running 2590 fps out of a 20" SD upper.

Ah, that makes more sense. You should have no problem getting a 123 up to 2590 fps and maybe a bit more out of a 20" tube I would think.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That's with a 123 gr A-Max

You probably already know but just in case, the A-Max is a target bullet not a hunting bullet. You would probably be alright using it for deer and antelope but it could get you into trouble on a short shot for elk.

Top Bottom