• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm interested in getting a BB/Pellet gun. I started looking at some of the cheaper $50 ones on Amazon and Walmart, then I found some others online. Airsoft, pump, PCP...

I'm a little uncertain on where to start. I'm all for spending a little more on a good one, but not $500.

So, what's a good brand? What type would I want?

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I have a Crosman Storm XT, from wally world, dropped 80-100.00 on it some years ago, couldn't be happier till the spring broke. I haven't replaced it yet but will.

Dime size groups at 20-30 yards, 1000 fps with the light pellets, penetrated a license plate at about 40 yards.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    What are you wanting to use it for? Plinking in the backyard, hunting, ??

Be aware that today's air rifles are NOT like older ones. These days, pushing 1000-1200 fps is pretty common. As mentioned above, they will punch through license plates (and barn roofs! don't ask...) fairly easily.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive got a crosman fury 2 177 pellet rifle that i use for target and occasionally chipmunks. Even gotten a few racoons that were trying to get into my chicken coop area. The coons did take a few shots to kill though. Think the fury 2 states 1200fps with premium pellets. Definitely an accurate rifle. Believe i paid $100 about 3 years ago at walmart

delwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Walkerton
    Make sure to cross reference reviews at pyramid air and airgun depot.

I recently picked up a Daisy Model 25 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it seemed to be put together, although it did need a couple drops of oil. Not bad for a low power bb rifle and the price is right. It's nice and quiet, as well.

There are a lot of decent middling to high power springers available, but it's been a few years since I've bought anything so I won't try to recommend anything specific there. The advertised velocities tend to be made with low grain pellets but the guns themselves tend to shoot heavier pellets better, in my experience. How back yard friendly these springers are depends entirely upon your back yard and neighbors. Mine aren't super quiet. Any scope you put on them will need to be rated for air guns, as they'll beat a normal scope to death pretty quickly due to the recoil you'll get in both directions.

PCPs are cool but pricey. I wouldn't fool with one if money's an issue, especially if it's just going to be used in the back yard.

ChrisDumais

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2017
    Lake County
    If you're looking for an inexpensive plinker. The Crosman 1077 or 1077W(wood stock) Are ones you might look into

For small game hunting: The Gamo Hornet or Hatsan 95
    Both are good value, entry level springers.

Avoid chinese built spring piston rifles

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    I recently purchased a Gamo Recon 2 for back yard plinking. It's light weight, low cocking force required make it perfect for the Grand kids (me) to handle. It's a low power (540 fps) unit. I put a TRS25 on it and it's a tack driver. We love it. Under $100.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I have bought a few toys from Pyramyd Air. I agree with reading the reviews. You pretty much get what you pay for.

Several years ago, I bought a Walther Nighthawk. It is a fun little plinker and pretty accurate. Although it is a double action revolver disguised as a semiauto, it has the exact same characteristics as my P99.

Walther NightHawk. Air guns - PyramydAir.com

More recently, I bought a reproduction of a C96 Broomhandle Mauser. It is not a high quality nor as accurate as the Nighthawk. But, it is select fire and a hoot to shoot!

KWC Umarex M712 Full-Auto CO2 BB Pistol. Air guns - PyramydAir.com

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Personally I decided to go with the over $500 version but decided to go with a Springer vs the PCP type of pellet gun. I went with a Air Arms Pro Sport which seemed to be highly recommended. If you get the beechwood stock I don't think it is much over that budget. Personally I went with the walnut stock. Works fabulously when I can't actualy get to the range. I checked with my local police station and they said I could fire mine within the city limits in my backyard. I purchased a metal backstop as well.

I'd recommend you do as I did set your budget as you did and have a look at Pyramid Air and see what guns fit that criteria. Take a look at reviews their and you can also check out forums specifically geared for the brand or for air rifles in general and see what the say. You Tube was also pretty uselfull as well when making my decision. Springer for me was the ideal situation. No expensive air tanks or CO2 cartridges. Artillery hold however, but for me this wasn't a big deal either.

Top Bottom