• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That brings to mind a quote from the movie, "The Outlaw Josie Whales".

"Diein' ain't much of a livin' boy"

That's about how it sounds it will work out to me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    There is absolutely a place for more deescalation training within the law enforcement community, but that place isn't when someone is bearing down on an officer, weapon in hand.

I do also agree with the article that providing training to police officers in the area of mental health can go a long way toward changing the dynamic of some of these encounters with mentally ill people.

My local department (Fishers P.D.) has been placing an increased focus on preparing officers to recognize the signs of mental illness and better interact with those dealing with these types of episodes. I'm proud of the work the city of Fishers has been doing in general to try and remove the stigma around mental illness and elevate the issue to a more public conversation.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Drug dealers aren't allowed to defend themselves?

Sticky wicket, that one...

My initial thoughts are that if they're lying their trade and something goes down...then let the chips fall where they may.

If a truly random event while they're out and about doing normal things (grocery shopping, out to eat, etc), then I'd say that yes - they do have a right to self-defense.

Much like the laws here - if you're committing a crime, you can't claim self-defense.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Had a great great grandfather move here from Canada in the 1850's. Very pleased he chose to do that.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Sticky wicket, that one...

My initial thoughts are that if they're lying their trade and something goes down...then let the chips fall where they may.

If a truly random event while they're out and about doing normal things (grocery shopping, out to eat, etc), then I'd say that yes - they do have a right to self-defense.

Much like the laws here - if you're committing a crime, you can't claim self-defense.
    If he's a dealer, I have no sympathy if he gets capped, but I'd say if he's free walking the streets (or in his house) then he has the same right to try and preserve his life as anyone else.

Nail him on the drug charges. The issue at hand here is how Canada treats self defense. Here's another example with a nicer fellow who was charged (and thankfully acquitted.) https://www.google.com/amp/national.../wcm/cf5e69ed-ffbe-43f2-883a-97993b741e44/amp

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Are there any special interest groups on this planet who aren't provided a platform from which to demand that police officers receive extensive training to recognize and deal with their particular flavor of disadvantaged persons? It's quite the conundrum in this country. This is the United States of America where everyone is supposed to be treated equally unless they.....

-Have been adjudicated mentally unstable
    -Been the victim of violent crime
    -Been the victim of domestic violence
    -Were born in a foreign country
    -Live below the poverty level
    -Are experiencing a medical condition (pick one of the 45,000 out there)
    -Dropped out of school
    -Are homosexual
    -Are transgendered
    -Hate dogs
    -Wear a turbin
    -Don't like chocolate
    -Are illiterate
    -Are scared of dogs
    -Love cats
    -Drive a Chevrolet
    -Don't get out of bed before noon
    -Used to smoke Marlboros
    -Still smoke Marlboros
    -Live in a trailer park
    -Live in an apartment complex
    -Have a job
    -Are unemployed
    -Weren't hugged enough by Mom
    -Weren't hugged enough by Dad
    -Married their cousin
    -Wear prescription eyeglasses
    -Once watched a scary movie
    -Didn't like a single field trip they went on in school, ever
    -Are a hoarder
    -Grow their own food
    -Watch CSI
    -Have been to prison
    -Have blonde hair

And on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on.........

I propose that police officers are only hired between the ages of 30 and 40 years old, have an IQ of at least 120, spend 8 years in training to become qualified as lawyers, doctors, psychologists and family councilors, make $250,000.00 a year tax free, earn a 75% pension and are forced into retirement after 10 years of service (including training). It still won't be enough but they'd certainly be closer to the all knowing, perfect robots many people expect.

Not sure why I find it surprising I guess. The vast majority of this country now expects 300% more effort out of everyone else than they attempt to put out themselves.

Just rambling.....

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Are there any special interest groups on this planet who aren't provided a platform from which to demand that police officers receive extensive training to recognize and deal with their particular flavor of disadvantaged persons? It's quite the conundrum in this country. This is the United States of America where everyone is supposed to be treated equally unless they.....

-Have been adjudicated mentally unstable
    -Been the victim of violent crime
    -Been the victim of domestic violence
    -Were born in a foreign country
    -Live below the poverty level
    -Are experiencing a medical condition (pick one of the 45,000 out there)
    -Dropped out of school
    -Are homosexual
    -Are transgendered
    -Hate dogs
    -Wear a turbin
    -Don't like chocolate
    -Are illiterate
    -Are scared of dogs
    -Love cats
    -Drive a Chevrolet
    -Don't get out of bed before noon
    -Used to smoke Marlboros
    -Still smoke Marlboros
    -Live in a trailer park
    -Live in an apartment complex
    -Have a job
    -Are unemployed
    -Weren't hugged enough by Mom
    -Weren't hugged enough by Dad
    -Married their cousin
    -Wear prescription eyeglasses
    -Once watched a scary movie
    -Didn't like a single field trip they went on in school, ever
    -Are a hoarder
    -Grow their own food
    -Watch CSI
    -Have been to prison
    -Have blonde hair

And on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on.........

I propose that police officers are only hired between the ages of 30 and 40 years old, have an IQ of at least 120, spend 8 years in training to become qualified as lawyers, doctors, psychologists and family councilors, make $250,000.00 a year tax free, earn a 75% pension and are forced into retirement after 10 years of service (including training). It still won't be enough but they'd certainly be closer to the all knowing, perfect robots many people expect.

Not sure why I find it surprising I guess. The vast majority of this country now expects 300% more effort out of everyone else than they attempt to put out themselves.

Just rambling.....

You misanthrope!
    Don't you know that personal accountability and moral standards don't fly in CURRENT YEAR?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I always feel left out, but phylodog listed several victim's groups I belong to. Woo hoo!

Heck, my Chevy even has a manual transmission. I think that should get me bonus points.

Top Bottom