• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I'm in the market for a new semiauto shotgun, I thought I had my choice narrowed down to a beretta A300, but recently came across the Franchi Affinity. My only experience with Franchi is an O/U my dad used to have about 20 years ago.

I know the main difference is the beretta is gas and the Franchi is interia, and I know Franchi is part of the beretta parent company. Just curious if anyone has any personal experience withe the newer Franchi semiautos.

thanks!

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    A friend of mine has one, but I have never shot it. I asked him if he likes his and he said yes, but his tends to not cycle some of the lighter loads. He said that it didn't bother him when he hunts pheasant but that he wished it cycled the target loads better for when he shoots clays. Hope that helps.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good thread.
    I can say the beretta would be a great choice, hands down - if you like gas guns. The recoil impulse feels much softer TO ME. If cost is a concern, you could look at the Stoeger offerings through Beretta. The gas guns, in my experience, can do a better job of reliably firing low brass birdshot/target loads. But, the downside is that they'll need to be cleaned a bit more often.
    For inertia guns (they feel a bit jerky TO ME), I'd think that the Franchi is just fine. My friend who is a casual clay shooter, likes his and has not had malfuncitons. The Benellis are generally high quality, but you must use heavy enough loads, and you pay for the name. If Franchi gets you a reliable gun without the markup for the name, I'd say go for it - if you want an inertia gun.

So, my 2 concerns would be: 1) recoil impulse, 2) will it work with cheap field/target loads

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, and I picked up the new Affinity, after talking to various manufactor's at the NRA AM. Franchi, is made by Benelli. I'm not sure where Beretta came from. I've got a few hundred rounds through it, and think it will be great for my purpose (strictly waterfowl) but will be the first to admit, I'm no shotgun expert.

If I had it to do over again I would do it the same.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, and I picked up the new Affinity, after talking to various manufactor's at the NRA AM. Franchi, is made by Benelli. I'm not sure where Beretta came from. I've got a few hundred rounds through it, and think it will be great for my purpose (strictly waterfowl) but will be the first to admit, I'm no shotgun expert.

If I had it to do over again I would do it the same.

That sounds promising, where did you get yours? I'm finding that Franchi isn't stocked at a lot of places.

Beretta owns Benelli, and Franchi, Stoeger, Uberti, Tikka, Sako, and Burris optics.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I bought mine direct. They don't sell to the public, but benelli's national marketing director, and myself got to know each other pretty well since we shared a wall at a show so he made an exception.

If you want see/try one your welcome to come to my place. I know they are so new it would be a pain to find a shop with one.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've got a SPAS-12, but I don't think that's the route your looking at here. Neat gun, not real practical.

You're one of the very few to have one.
    Yeah, not very practical, but still a fascinating concept, Arnold (when he was still cool) approved, of course.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    You're one of the very few to have one.
    Yeah, not very practical, but still a fascinating concept, Arnold (when he was still cool) approved, of course.

At least the somewhat consumable parts (like the recoil buffer in the receiver) is available again, so I don't feel bad occasionally shooting it. I know there's a lot of talk about how they don't shoot X,Y or Z well. In my experience, if you keep it clean, it runs just about anything in semi-auto, including cheap walmart birdshot.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am a die hard Benelli fan after seeing what they will do side by side with even Beretta's. Guns we buy will never see the round count and abuse of the guns we used in Argentina; but I'm talking like 3-6,000 rounds a day for 3 days in a row, just to have another group come in and repeat. The Benelli shotguns are the only thing that worked well, but we'd have a few others for clients that preferred other guns, plus we were a Beretta certified lodge.
    After seeing that, and having dropped my own gun underwater to have frozen water in it in places and still be able to shoot and cycle fine I'm very biased. I think the inertia is the way to go. It recoils harder and isn't as soft of shooter but it works way better.

If you were only going to use it on a range and shoot pigeons I wouldn't hesitate for a Beretta or something. Heck I even love the SX3, but for a gun that'll not quit (good for hunting in harsh conditions) I'd go with the inertia of the Franchi, I've only been around hunters with stoegers, but it all works the same, I'd most certainly go that direction.

Last edited:

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Thanks for the great feedback, I pretty much all of my hunting in northern Michigan, so a gun that can perform in harsh conditions is pretty important!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am certainly no expert, don't own a Franchi, but do have a Browning inertia operated shotgun. From what I have experienced the inertia guns are MUCH cleaner, and the new models do fire light and heavy loads reliably. I personally would not purchase a new semi-auto shotgun that is gas operated ~ I would definitely go inertia.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    I've owned Beretta, Benelli, and Stoeger Shotguns -- I have well over 100,000 rounds through my Berettas and love them. That being said, I love the inertia system on the Benelli and Stoeger (I'm assuming the Franchi system is similar, if not identical, in design).

I have recently seen some failures from Stoeger owners -- mainly with the bolt lockup. I would make sure / check on part availability for the Franchi and confirm you can get parts in the event of a failure.

I don't have an A300, but do have a 303 -- the predecessor the the A300. The gas systems are similar in design and the 303 suffered from the inability to cycle light loads consistently. The trick to consistent cycling on a Beretta gas gun is to open up the gas port (to clarify -- basically polish or open up just SLIGHTLY) and make sure when you do clean the gun, you take the time to run something through the gas ports to make sure they're clear. The biggest cause of those guns not cycling is clogged gas ports.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either option.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    We have a Franchi I-12, Franchi I-12 Review - Guns & Ammo husband and I both like it. We can both shoot it well (for us, that is...), haven't had any issues with it. It has been a fun gun for us, we mostly just shoot clays, when we get a chance. I think the Affinity is supposed to be even better.

I12 owner here also. Mine is used exclusively for waterfowl and turkey hunting. The gun functions perfectly for me with heavy uunting loads and with heavy 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz target loads. I have been very pleased with it and would not hesitate to consider buying another Franchi shotgun again.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've owned Beretta, Benelli, and Stoeger Shotguns -- I have well over 100,000 rounds through my Berettas and love them. That being said, I love the inertia system on the Benelli and Stoeger (I'm assuming the Franchi system is similar, if not identical, in design).

I have recently seen some failures from Stoeger owners -- mainly with the bolt lockup. I would make sure / check on part availability for the Franchi and confirm you can get parts in the event of a failure.

I don't have an A300, but do have a 303 -- the predecessor the the A300. The gas systems are similar in design and the 303 suffered from the inability to cycle light loads consistently. The trick to consistent cycling on a Beretta gas gun is to open up the gas port (to clarify -- basically polish or open up just SLIGHTLY) and make sure when you do clean the gun, you take the time to run something through the gas ports to make sure they're clear. The biggest cause of those guns not cycling is clogged gas ports.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either option.

That is a pretty common problem with the Stoegers if you don't keep it clean(sometimes hard to do when waterfowl hunting) or it gets wet and then freezes the bolt can be slowed enough that it fails to lock up and won't fire.

Top Bottom