• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Does walmart still have a catalog at the gun counter that you can order from?

Knowing what I know about their practices of demanding a certain price for an item which causes the manufacturer to cut corners and build a special, cheaper version for Walmart distribution, be VERY careful. Make sure the model number in their catalog matches EXACTLY the model on the maker's website.

Totally random example:
    [STRIKE]Winchester[/STRIKE] Remington wants Walmart to sell their 870. They suggest a price of $329, which is what everybody else is selling them for. Walmart says "No, it needs to be priced at $275." (which leaves either no margin for [STRIKE]Winchester[/STRIKE] Remington or not enough to stay in the black)
    So [STRIKE]Winchester[/STRIKE] Remington creates a "new walmart exclusive" version of the 870. With changes such as lower grade wood furniture, plastic trigger guard instead of metal, MIM parts instead of machined, less stringent QC, etc.

[STRIKE]Winchester[/STRIKE] Remington 870 from everybody else has a model number of 25568 Walmart's model is listed as 25568-WM

Sometimes when you see a much lower price at Walmart, What you are getting is not absolutely identical to what everyone else is selling. Buyer beware.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Knowing what I know about their practices of demanding a certain price for an item which causes the manufacturer to cut corners and build a special, cheaper version for Walmart distribution, be VERY careful. Make sure the model number in their catalog matches EXACTLY the model on the maker's website.

Totally random example:
    Winchester wants Walmart to sell their 870. They suggest a price of $329, which is what everybody else is selling them for. Walmart says "No, it needs to be priced at $275." (which leaves either no margin for Winchester or not enough to stay in the black)
    So Winchester creates a "new walmart exclusive" version of the 870. With changes such as lower grade wood furniture, plastic trigger guard instead of metal, MIM parts instead of machined, less stringent QC, etc.

Winchester 870 from everybody else has a model number of 25568 Walmart's model is listed as 25568-WM

Sometimes when you see a much lower price at Walmart, What you are getting is not absolutely identical to what everyone else is selling. Buyer beware.

Winchester 870??????

I want what your drinking. It's been a while since I've been tipsy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Damn. And I just started. :):

It could be the box of WWB sitting on my desk next to my keyboard. Kinda like how I was texting my wife on my cell while talking to my boss on my desk phone. I was wrapping up both conversations at the same time and as I was typing "Love you" to my wife, I said "OK, bye. Love you." to my boss. She said "excuse me?" :):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Why not Sig Sauer does it with their models. We put our name on it. That does not mean anything.
    Their warranty is just the same, as soon as the check clears the warranty expired.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yep, this is the practice that Sears used for many years. Of course Sears is in deep financial troubles now. Walmart ought to pay some attention to history.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Urban legend. No gun company makes cheap models just for Walmart. Walmart gets cheaper prices due to the fact they buy 10,000 unit's to distribute nationwide (that book that you can order from if they don't have your model at your store. It goes to their distribution center). Your local store can't out negotiate a 10,000 unit order.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Urban legend. No gun company makes cheap models just for Walmart. Walmart gets cheaper prices due to the fact they buy 10,000 unit's to distribute nationwide (that book that you can order from if they don't have your model at your store. It goes to their distribution center). Your local store can't out negotiate a 10,000 unit order.

Maybe, maybe not. Who says those 10,000 are the same as the millions of others they made for general distribution?

Yes, they may be the same. Two things to watch out for:
    -Price significantly lower than a LGS
    -Different part number than the rest of the market (If the walmart production run is the same, there is no need to change the model#.)

Maybe there arent any guns that are different. I can't prove it. But I have seen news articles about the practice in general and I could swear this came up here about a specific gun there before. Caveat emptor is all I'm saying.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Maybe, maybe not. Who says those 10,000 are the same as the millions of others they made for general distribution?

Yes, they may be the same. Two things to watch out for:
    -Price significantly lower than a LGS
    -Different part number than the rest of the market (If the walmart production run is the same, there is no need to change the model#.)

Maybe there arent any guns that are different. I can't prove it. But I have seen news articles about the practice in general and I could swear this came up here about a specific gun there before. Caveat emptor is all I'm saying.

Companies don't have time to change up production runs. Special runs for lipseys etc are generally subject to more QC.

As far as news articles on the "defective Walmart guns" is nothing more than exaggerated stories first spread in the mid 1990's by that a$$hat old gunsmith still mad about Glocks popularity. Speaking of if you believed articles at face value Glock 40's blow up Everytime (nothing to do with improper reloading an already high pressure round) yet all the Glock 40's for over 20 years with the USMS, FBI, DEA US Capital Police don't. So guess they didn't get their guns from Walmart LOL

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    BUT, Is it the same catalog that the LGS has, or do they make a special catalog for the Wally World guns? Cheaper paper maybe. :) :) :)

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I never knew they ever had a catalog. Have you just tried walmart.com. I believe if they have the item available they will send to the store of your choice free of charge, and you pick it up at that store.
    I've done the "Walmart order online pick up at the store" thing three times, never again. I don't know if all Walmart store are like this but the Kokomo Walmart does not man the pick up desk and it is nearly impossible to get someone to help you there. They have a place for you to signal that you need assistance, but I don't believe anyone checks that either. I would have left if I hadn't already paid for the item when I ordered it.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've done the "Walmart order online pick up at the store" thing three times, never again. I don't know if all Walmart store are like this but the Kokomo Walmart does not man the pick up desk and it is nearly impossible to get someone to help you there. They have a place for you to signal that you need assistance, but I don't believe anyone checks that either. I would have left if I hadn't already paid for the item when I ordered it.

I've only done it once, you are correct there was no one at the pick up desk. They did come over quickly after seeing me there. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but if I did want a product cheaper than elsewhere, then this is what I would have to put up with.
    I guess it depends on how you value your time and how much you may be saving.

As a general rule I no longer support or shop Walmart. Just too many videos and proof of how bad they are for any given city or town.

As I have read many many times here on INGO "Vote with your wallet"

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

I have no idea if this actually happens with firearms - BUT - I can tell you that something similar does happen in food products for, let's say, extremely large retail purchasers.

If a retailer says "I'll buy 25% (or 50% or...) of your production capability for Type A widgets but I need it a $X-10% instead of $X; most any manufacture will attempt to produce Type A Widget V2.

If quality matters...yet another reason to use your LGS...

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I will never buy a gun from Wal-Mart, it took them 1 hr to do the paper work. Three different managers had to check the paper work, only a mgr could get the box, only mgr could walk me out. Nothing to do with "Walmart brand guns". The gun I got was the exact same gun as a friend bought a local gun shop, so in this case no Wal-Mart Junk Corner Cut guns. It seems this pops up every few years on INGO.

What's next, Lifetime License to Carry going away? Well I heard from a friend of a friend who heard it from his second cousin it was.

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    I will never buy a gun from Wal-Mart, it took them 1 hr to do the paper work. Three different managers had to check the paper work, only a mgr could get the box, only mgr could walk me out. Nothing to do with "Walmart brand guns". The gun I got was the exact same gun as a friend bought a local gun shop, so in this case no Wal-Mart Junk Corner Cut guns. It seems this pops up every few years on INGO.

What's next, Lifetime License to Carry going away? Well I heard from a friend of a friend who heard it from his second cousin it was.

I wasn't asking about walmart firearm quality. I was just wondering if they still had the catalog you can order from at the gun counter.

Top Bottom