• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I had the opportunity to visit Philadelphia for a few days and since I knew the Museum of the American Revolution had just opened in April, it was high on my list of things to see. I had heard good things about it and I am happy to report that it is excellent.

It has been a trend, and in my opinion a horrible one, in museums to replace actual artifacts with various "interactive" activities to teach history. Not so here! The exhibits include plenty of artifacts, with clear text that puts them into context. The entire revolution is covered from beginning to end. I did have my complaints, such as I thought the French contributions were short-changed a bit, but considering how unexpectedly wonderful everything else is it is a fairly small complaint.

Here's the best part: I put this thread into the General Firearms section for a reason! The firearms of the Revolution are covered very well. In fact, it may well be the best collection of Revolutionary era firearms on display anywhere. What's more, I even witnessed a worker showing a reproduction rifle to the kids. Letting them handle it, teaching them how to load and fire it, and explaining the impact of such weapons on the battlefield. (Note to Kirk; she even explained to them to be sure not to point it at anyone even though it wasn't loaded.)

Here are a sampling of photos, but this is just a small portion.

Literally, a wall of muskets:

auoBjjA.jpg

Weapons known to have been used by the militia at Lexington:

T9Z5Ij8.jpg

Weapons known to have been used by the British regiments that captured New York:

5JfnVNA.jpg

fPGwU

Equipment of a rifleman:

YmAGJLo.jpg

Weapons used at Cowpens:

q294o6M.jpg

There are also a number of dioramas that display the uniforms of the period. Tarleton's Legion:

gxQiRpQ.jpg

A Hessian soldier:

hdbPGVE.jpg

There are also, of course, many artifacts besides firearms. Items known to have been used at Bunker Hill:

k8DqpsX.jpg

A pair of British holster pistols:

WXNaDPk.jpg

Naval weapons, included one captured by John Paul Jones:

nyUdsRh.jpg

That's enough to give you a good idea, but this is a small sampling. It is located just a few blocks from Independence Hall, on the same side of Chestnut street, next to the historic 2nd US Bank building.

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    I have to get there to see this for myself. I love reading and studying the Revolution. AMC is finishing up the series Turn! Washington's Spies and I've been right there with it since season 1. Thanks for the photos.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The ONLY reason I can see to keep Philly on the list...

The last time I was driving by Philly the news was reporting a couple being robbed within a block of the Liberty Bell by a guy with an AK-47...there's history there that I would like to see but my desire to go there is history.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have to get there to see this for myself. I love reading and studying the Revolution. AMC is finishing up the series Turn! Washington's Spies and I've been right there with it since season 1. Thanks for the photos.

I have also been sitting on the edge of my seat watching Washington Spies. Great series.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I was all set to join the Sons of the American Revolution until I spent 10 minutes around guys who are members of the Sons of the American Revolution....Their noses were a wee bit up in the air for my tastes..

I always thought Bill Maudlin captured the DAR and the SAR attitude very well with this cartoon.....

Mauldin-cartoon-2-821x1024.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom