What guns can you load a round in the breach?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I know you shouldn't do it with handguns, when you lock the slide back, drop the round and then close the slide.

I know you can do it with shotguns, but what about ARs? Could I drop a round into the AR and send the bolt back without damaging something or potentially setting it off like a handgun?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Maybe all bolt actions? As long as there isn't a round in the magazine such that it tries to load one if there's already a round dropped in.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...what about ARs? Could I drop a round into the AR and send the bolt back without damaging something or potentially setting it off like a handgun?

Yes, you sure can. But NO, you should NEVER trust a firearm when dropping the bolt or slide, that it is perfectly safe.

Particularly with the AR, M1, M1A, etc. with floating firing pins (no firing pin retention spring), slam-fires are a real possibility. I have loaded thousands of rounds of AR-15 ammo single-feed, and not had a slam-fire yet, but I've seen 2, and heard another one.

With the AR, it's better if you want to load just one round and LEAVE it there (such as for carry, or in the woods), to drop it in the chamber, LOWER the bolt by hand, then manually clip the bolt shut with the forward assist. Then you just load you mag as usual, making VERY sure to PUSH the mag in until it clicks, compressing the top round against the bottom of the bolt carrier. PULL on the mag to make sure it seated fully.

Yeah, despite what the internet will say, occasionally the F/A is handy.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Maybe all bolt actions? As long as there isn't a round in the magazine such that it tries to load one if there's already a round dropped in.

No. Bolt actions with controlled-feed extractors ("claw") should NEVER be fed singly except from the box mag. Mauser, M70, Springfield, Arisaka, Swede, Swiss, Carcano, etc..

-Nate

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Wasn't that part of the design of the Beretta 92fs? The barrel is exposed and doesn't tilt with the slide back. It is made to be able to load single rounds in case of a magazine failure. (was doing some reading about it this week)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Wasn't that part of the design of the Beretta 92fs? The barrel is exposed and doesn't tilt with the slide back. It is made to be able to load single rounds in case of a magazine failure. (was doing some reading about it this week)

This is true, Beretta designed the 92 to be able to be fed single shot directly into the chamber in the event of magazine damage or lack of magazine. They got themselves into a bind when they came out with the Storm CX-4 carbine using 92 mags. Many people loaded the Storm carbine like they loaded the pistol only to find the extractor breaking. Seems Beretta did not design the Storm carbine to be single round breach loaded.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I personally would not load ANY removable magazine semi auto firearm by dropping a round into the chamber. Doing so in some of the "controlled feed" firearms like the old version Remington 700 could be asking for a broken ejector. These firearms pick up the cartridge from the magazine and the ejector closes on the rim thus controlling the feed even if the rifle is held upside down. Thus dropping a cartridge into the chamber would result in the ejector ramming into the rim with an ejector "locked" closed. Several others as T-lex has said could result in the same - the other issue is damage to the rim of the cartridge from the "closed" ejector may cause the cartridge to fail to seat in the chamber. Many firearm are just not designed to be single fed.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I personally would not load ANY removable magazine semi auto firearm by dropping a round into the chamber. Doing so in some of the "controlled feed" firearms like the old version Remington 700 could be asking for a broken ejector. These firearms pick up the cartridge from the magazine and the ejector closes on the rim thus controlling the feed even if the rifle is held upside down. Thus dropping a cartridge into the chamber would result in the ejector ramming into the rim with an ejector "locked" closed.

The Remington 700, and predecessors 721 & 722 are push feed only, and can be fed singly just as safely and easily as from the mag. Same as Savage.

That should not be taken as an endorsement of either.

To my knowledge, the entire Remington flagship line has been push feed since about 1950, and no Remington 700 has ever had claw CRF, or even a semi-controlled feed with a spring-loaded tab extractor like the M70 CRPF.

T. Lex?

-Nate

Last edited:

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Yes, you sure can. But NO, you should NEVER trust a firearm when dropping the bolt or slide, that it is perfectly safe.

Particularly with the AR, M1, M1A, etc. with floating firing pins (no firing pin retention spring), slam-fires are a real possibility. I have loaded thousands of rounds of AR-15 ammo single-feed, and not had a slam-fire yet, but I've seen 2, and heard another one.

With the AR, it's better if you want to load just one round and LEAVE it there (such as for carry, or in the woods), to drop it in the chamber, LOWER the bolt by hand, then manually clip the bolt shut with the forward assist. Then you just load you mag as usual, making VERY sure to PUSH the mag in until it clicks, compressing the top round against the bottom of the bolt carrier. PULL on the mag to make sure it seated fully.

Yeah, despite what the internet will say, occasionally the F/A is handy.

-Nate

And this is different from a round being stripped from the mag how? The bolt and floating firing pin fly home with the same force.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    "Single Shot Magazine Followers" are made for AR-15s to facilitate single round loading during competition and ramps are made for some bolt actions for the same use. The rifles are push fed as others have stated and the extractor has to pop over the case rim whether mag or single fed into the chamber.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    And this is different from a round being stripped from the mag how? The bolt and floating firing pin fly home with the same force.

Read what I said in the 3rd paragraph of the post you quoted again, and think about your response.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    No. Bolt actions with controlled-feed extractors ("claw") should NEVER be fed singly except from the box mag. Mauser, M70, Springfield, Arisaka, Swede, Swiss, Carcano, etc..

-Nate

Then how do you explain the magazine cutoff in the Springfield?

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    This one.

DSC_0452.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Then how do you explain the magazine cutoff in the Springfield?

Right you are, kludge. The '03 can, on account of it's beveled extractor, be used to push feed loose rounds off the top of the locked-out full magazine.

That having been said, not ALL of them will do so, it batters hell out of the extractor and casings, and can still result in extractor breakage.

It was as silly a thing to include then as it is to use it now.

But it does work well as a bolt stop. ;)

Anyhow. It's well-accepted at this point that the Springfield is best run like the Mauser it is: from the mag.

-Nate

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Read what I said in the 3rd paragraph of the post you quoted again, and think about your response.

I read your post.

You babied the bolt into battery. I posted about 'normal' operation of the bolt.

How about you "read my post and think about your response"?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Then say what you mean, sir.

Nowhere in your painfully abrupt post did you mention anything about 'normal operation'.

I'm fine with being questioned and having disagreement from time to time. But if you're going to call me out, you have to be prepared for a response. My reading comprehension is very good: I don't assume you know anything more or less than your written words demonstrate.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Just look at the bottom of the breech face: If the breech face extends down to the mag well, it's designed to have the round slide up from below. If the raised ring (for lack of knowing a better term) extends around the bottom, then EVERY round has the extractor slide over it. Will get demo pics later (Sorry, won't be as nice as this guys)

Top Bottom