Mystery Mag - Who knows what rifle this is for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A friend of mine had these 3 mags at home and doesn't know what rifle they are for. It isn't for a Lee Enfield, but appears to be British, because of the crown in one of the proofmarks.

The magazines are identical except for the proofmarks. Each one has a unique mark. One has a crown above the letters "CB". The other two have a J inside a circle, below one circle is a backwards B, but the bottom of the B is faint, making it appear to look like a backwards R. The third has J inside a circle above the letter B.

Also can't tell what caliber this is for. A 30-06 (7.62×63mm) is too long to fit inside, the two rounds in the pics below, are 7.62x51mm NATO (.308), and they appear to be shorter than what the mag was intended for. Not sure if it might be .303, but I know its not a Lee Enfield mag.

If the pictures look like someone was more concerned with composition than the average INGOer, you can thank my artsy-craftsy wife for that. :rockwoot:

I'm sure someone out there will know instantly. Please chime in! :scratch:

DSC04989_zps9szwizwq.jpg

DSC04988c_zpskhbaoinx.jpg

DSC04988b_zpscjucp3zt.jpg

DSC04988a_zpsmhds7tcz.jpg

DSC04990_zpsvs3sbm0c.jpg

DSC04992_zpsqbv5bhwk.jpg

DSC04993_zpsplmcuzxq.jpg

DSC04994_zpsvj9dqmqy.jpg

DSC04995_zpsyfampvhr.jpg

DSC04996_zpspb4i9ksw.jpg

DSC04999_zpsnk2krfuj.jpg

DSC05000_zpskquffwh3.jpg

DSC05001_zpsrm17whr3.jpg

DSC05004_zpsjcjmniaf.jpg

DSC05005_zpskul83xwi.jpg

DSC05007_zpscs0rfbuy.jpg

DSC05011_zpsabfltbko.jpg

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No clue on the mags, but I must say those are the finest composition pics of mags the internet has ever seen. :)

Its like, Glamor Shots for firearms accessories.

"You're doing great, now look sultry.... great.... now loosen up and think of your favorite ice cream..... fantastic!"

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    No clue on the mags, but I must say those are the finest composition pics of mags the internet has ever seen. :)

Its like, Glamor Shots for firearms accessories.

"You're doing great, now look sultry.... great.... now loosen up and think of your favorite ice cream..... fantastic!"

I thought someone might get a kick out of that. My wife has a couple of online businesses, she sells arts and crafts items she makes all over the globe. For her online businesses, the pictures are everything - can't sell squat without good photos. Yep, she's really good at it. She has a photobox all set up. So any time I need some pics she helps out.

I'll tell her you liked her pics! If there's ever a photo contest for mags, she'll have no competition! :laugh:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ha

Reminds me of the adage, an amateur does it until they get it right. A professional does it until they can't get it wrong. I can imagine the conversation, "Honey, its just a few mags, I'll do it."

"No, you're making me crazy doing it like that. Give me the camera and get out of the way."

:)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I thought someone might get a kick out of that. My wife has a couple of online businesses, she sells arts and crafts items she makes all over the globe. For her online businesses, the pictures are everything - can't sell squat without good photos. Yep, she's really good at it. She has a photobox all set up. So any time I need some pics she helps out.

I'll tell her you liked her pics! If there's ever a photo contest for mags, she'll have no competition! :laugh:

She got skills

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    The AG42 magazines work for the Hakim as well. Check the auction sites for a good idea of current pricing (completed listings). Last time I checked it was approx. $150 but that's been a while.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have this mysterious urge to offer to buy the mags for whatever he's asking. Don't even really want to negotiate. Very strange.

WAAAAIIIIITTTT.

Is this a sophisticated way to get around the 50 post rule for classifieds?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I have this mysterious urge to offer to buy the mags for whatever he's asking. Don't even really want to negotiate. Very strange.

WAAAAIIIIITTTT.

Well...... he's only got 8500 posts, and if he's like most of us, that means about 12 QUALITY posts, so... maybe!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Take them pics straight to the broker or ebay and collect your $200.

Yep! (per mag maybe)

WAAAAIIIIITTTT.

Will make very special deal, just for you! :cool:

Well...... he's only got 8500 posts, and if he's like most of us, that means about 12 QUALITY posts, so... maybe!

:+1:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Some may have noticed, there just happens to be another thread trying to identify a mystery magazine.

I found myself critical of the pics - which really weren't bad - by comparing them to the pics in this thread. "Dude should've used a light box. And OMG, his hand is actually IN THE PIC."

So thanks for ruining INGO pics for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom