• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I predict those will be relatively easy to shoot down, and even easier for someone to hack or jamb.
    They'll be dropping out of the sky, with fully automatic arms just ready for the taking.

The best weapon on any battle field is the soldiers mind.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Doubt they will be fully autonomous, probably similar to the Predator, Reaper and other military drones. The existing drones, at least what I know of the Predator, are controlled by "pilots and gunnery personnel" from Washington DC when on a mission. I don't know of any military machine that makes the decision to fire. I can see a great use for the above. Last I heard the cash cost of a trained solider was in excess of 1 million dollars, not considering the terrible loss of a human life. Drones like these can be built fairly economically considering, and I can see where they could save many lives, even if the cash outlay is higher to achieve the same objective than using soldiers, I am all for it, if it saves our men's lives. It certainly looks like it could be used to clear roads where IUD's are hidden with enemies near. Many of the countries where current battles are taking place do not have the capabilities of shooting them down often.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doubt they will be fully autonomous, probably similar to the Predator, Reaper and other military drones. The existing drones, at least what I know of the Predator, are controlled by "pilots and gunnery personnel" from Washington DC when on a mission. I don't know of any military machine that makes the decision to fire. I can see a great use for the above. Last I heard the cash cost of a trained solider was in excess of 1 million dollars, not considering the terrible loss of a human life. Drones like these can be built fairly economically considering, and I can see where they could save many lives, even if the cash outlay is higher to achieve the same objective than using soldiers, I am all for it, if it saves our men's lives. It certainly looks like it could be used to clear roads where IUD's are hidden with enemies near. Many of the countries where current battles are taking place do not have the capabilities of shooting them down often.

Consider the whole package here. Not just the drone but the infrastructure to run them.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll agree they will be very useful but will be easily grounded, scrounged for parts & re-purposed to arm an enemy.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    The old lady and I built a "weaponized" drone last summer that was similar. Gyroscopic recoil mitigation and what not. We used a block of wood of similar weight to an m240 though, not a real gun. It was lower tech and probably easy to shoot down, but a fun little project all the same. We used some tweaked schematics she scratched out in Fallujah some years back.

Top Bottom