• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Someone from Kentucky has offered me a trade for my Anaconda that I'm considering. I believe the answer is yes bc you need a transfer to buy. What about if you trade? I would assume it is the same.

While we are on the subject, what about gifting a firearm to a relative in Another state?

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    the person you are trading or gifting to should be from indiana (assuming you are an indiana resident) and the transaction should take place in indiana. I would not even sell a gun to a person with a indiana license with my indiana license in another state. Any transaction that involves being in another state or resident from another state should use an FFL

"an unlicensed individual is prohibiting from directly transferring a firearm to a person residing in another state. Regardless of the purpose of the tranfser."

https://www.atf.gov/file/58681/download

I already posted this earlier but its a better answer:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download

You should use an FFL to get his firearm and an FFL to give him your firearm.

"2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individualwho does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfullytransfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to aFederal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may thenreceive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS backgroundcheck. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov andhttp://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from thisprohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, forexample, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception isprovided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition byintestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident whoinherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5)."

Last edited:

Bsj425

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    Someone from Kentucky has offered me a trade for my Anaconda that I'm considering. I believe the answer is yes bc you need a transfer to buy. What about if you trade? I would assume it is the same.

While we are on the subject, what about gifting a firearm to a relative in Another state?

not really a big deal, I have traded over state lines. Have him ship to your local FFL and you do the same, then transfer from the FFL to you. You can trade but it has to go through an FFL.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Crossing state lines = FFL required.

You have done well. You may move onto the next chamber.

images

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Crossing state lines = FFL required.

Amazing how we know this but some FFL's and the BATFE seem unawares. I had opportunity to purchase a well-priced AR15 w/10 mags & 1k rounds from a guy in MI. I called a FFL near his location, "Nope, you can purchase a rifle legally in private sale if you're from IN... you don't need me, don't need to go through a FFL." Um, okay.

Called another FFL... same line.
    Called the Indiana Field Office for BATFE in Indianapolis, "You buying a handgun or long gun?" "Rifle sir." "Well you can just go an purchase it in a private transaction, no FFL needed."

I had the agent clarify again, and he confirmed, "Bordering states, no FFL needed for a long gun. Now if it's a handgun, the man in MI has to send it to an IN FFL for you to purchase."

My phone auto records calls, so I have the BATFE agent's words recorded.

Very scary to think that someone could get direction from the BATFE that could result in a whole lot of .gov trouble.

Top Bottom