Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Eric Gutridge
    144 S Broad
    Griffith, IN
    219-922-1711

I was referred to him by an RO at Willow Slough.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    could recommend 2 in Crete Il. -CLASSIC GUNS or THE COMPOUND .Classic has done 2 complete guns for me ,I have visited the Compound and his work looks very good I trusted my 1903 colt to Classic to re blue

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Good luck. Personally I think good gunsmiths are few and far between. There are some regional and national guys that are probably pretty good and those are the names that will come up often. But you will have to venture outside of "local" most likely.

I had a gunsmith that was highly recommended outside of Lafayette when I lived there. I took two guns to him for work. One was to put some screws into the side of a .22 receiver to plug the holes left after I removed a side mount. He just screwed them in. No locktite, no filing the back side so they didn't hit the bolt, and they were even different looking.

Why I went back a second time after that to have a rubber recoil pad put on my shotgun, I'll never know. He did such a botched up job I couldn't believe it. You don't just screw it on the butt. They have to be fitted and polished out so they function and look right.

This is why I do my own work now. I don't think the average gunsmith had as much interest in my firearms as I do.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    I'm with gregkl on this one. Seems even well established smiths with store fronts are pretty mediocre at best. A long running Gunsmith in my area tells me "we don't do that" at least twice as often as he extorts my money. I've always found myself working on guns more often than I actually shoot them by far, so i've been going the diy route for a few years now. Depending on what it is exactly you need done to you're 938(s), the best way to learn the inside and out of a firearm is to tear it apart and rebuild (or simply repair) it.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I found "Warrior Arms" 2202 Burlington Beach rd. Valparaiso 219-508-4583
    Fixed my rifle in days and very fair priced...I'll be back here again.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    May be outside of your travel area, but worth the trip. Brad Cline gunsmithing. Near Frankfort, IN . He is a FULL service certified smith. Folks send him guns from all over the US and overseas to be worked on to include "race guns" that he and his staff build on site. Will warn you he is very busy though and may take a month or so to get your gun back as he is that busy. Again worth the wait for quality work. 765-513-4061.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good luck. Personally I think good gunsmiths are few and far between. There are some regional and national guys that are probably pretty good and those are the names that will come up often. But you will have to venture outside of "local" most likely.

I had a gunsmith that was highly recommended outside of Lafayette when I lived there. I took two guns to him for work. One was to put some screws into the side of a .22 receiver to plug the holes left after I removed a side mount. He just screwed them in. No locktite, no filing the back side so they didn't hit the bolt, and they were even different looking.

Why I went back a second time after that to have a rubber recoil pad put on my shotgun, I'll never know. He did such a botched up job I couldn't believe it. You don't just screw it on the butt. They have to be fitted and polished out so they function and look right.

This is why I do my own work now. I don't think the average gunsmith had as much interest in my firearms as I do.

I have little to zero faith in the service industry.
    Until I found AllenM here on Ingo I let Vern Tresser do a few things for me with some success but he moved and is semi-retired now.
    I do the lions share of my own work. Allen is a most valued asset as he is an honest hard working person with a great set of values.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have been happy with work done by Jeff McHenry at JM Gunsmith. He is located near Emerson and County Line Rd. Good, honest man and takes pride in doing the job right

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    What did you have done?

My 22 mag Marlin rifle wouldn't fire...took it to them took it apart found loose trigger screw....tightened (showed me how to do it ) cleaned and put back together $10. I shot it yesterday about 150 rds,. Excellent

Top Bottom