Man the Line - possible rip off, anyone have any dealings with them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Purchased some items from "Man the Line" aka Luke Schuetzle aka "rand2323" on Gunbroker. Paid by personal check. My bank says the check was cashed on 7/18/17. Over a month later and I don't have my items. The seller never provided the tracking number (red flag #1), seller has stopped responding to email and wouldn't provide any shipping information (red flag #2), and won't return my calls now that I've had to start calling (red flag #3). I think I've been ripped off. Anyone here have any dealings with him/them?

I've got the feeling that I'm going to have to file a police report to have any hope of getting my items or my money back. Anyone ever had to do that and did you have any luck getting the situation resolved?

I've bought thousands of items through online auctions over the years and this is the first time I've had a problem like this so I appreciate any insight or advice that you guys can provide. :ingo:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    If it was thru gunbroker, dont they have some assurance to cover the buyer?

Not really. You are allowed to file one fraud claim every 6 months and there is a $100 deductible. Since my situation involves items bought in four separate auctions and no single auction exceeds the $100 deductible, it appears I'm out of luck as far as Gunbroker's buyer protection goes.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Purchased some items from "Man the Line" aka Luke Schuetzle aka "rand2323" on Gunbroker. Paid by personal check. My bank says the check was cashed on 7/18/17. Over a month later and I don't have my items. The seller never provided the tracking number (red flag #1), seller has stopped responding to email and wouldn't provide any shipping information (red flag #2), and won't return my calls now that I've had to start calling (red flag #3). I think I've been ripped off. Anyone here have any dealings with him/them?

I've got the feeling that I'm going to have to file a police report to have any hope of getting my items or my money back. Anyone ever had to do that and did you have any luck getting the situation resolved?

I've bought thousands of items through online auctions over the years and this is the first time I've had a problem like this so I appreciate any insight or advice that you guys can provide. :ingo:

Aaron, well, he does have perfect feedback, so I would give him the benefit of waiting a little longer. Just because your check clears YOUR bank, it doesn't mean that it has cleared HIS bank. On the rare occassion that I accept a personal check (i have been burned too many times, including a Gary police officer IN UNIFORM, and even the police department would not help me collect, saying; "we don't care if an officer is writing bad checks") I inform the bidder that it can take 3-4 weeks for the check to clear MY bank and have gauranteed funds in my account. Good luck with your items, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think the police will tell you it's a civil matter and theres nothing they can do unfortunately. I would contact the postal inspectors office and see if he's commited mail fraud

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I only accept and use US Postal Money Orders when dealing on gunbroker.
    That is the ONLY form of payment I accept when running my own GB auctions, there is an 800 number I call to verify the money order is real once I receive it.
    When buying items I use the same form of payment, just makes transactions smoother.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I only accept and use US Postal Money Orders when dealing on gunbroker.
    That is the ONLY form of payment I accept when running my own GB auctions, there is an 800 number I call to verify the money order is real once I receive it.
    When buying items I use the same form of payment, just makes transactions smoother.

You don't have to call the 800 number if you take the USPS money order to the post office. They verify it as you cash it, then you hand the package to them to be mailed.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    You don't have to call the 800 number if you take the USPS money order to the post office. They verify it as you cash it, then you hand the package to them to be mailed.

This is true. I usually call anyway before heading out. I have yet to have a fake one, and really I don't sell much on GB. I will try local first, if I can't get my bottom dollar here, then I sell on GB and usually get more than what I have had it out for locally.
    As I'm sure we all know, right now it the time to be buying and not selling anyway.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, just checked his feedback on gunbroker and he has multiple instances of doing EXACTLY what you describe.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewUserFeedback.aspx?User=718060

Check again.

Yep, I looked too quicky - perfect feedback only for the last month, lol

Aaron, I would be contributing some very strongly worded negative feedback of your own to his account, if you haven't done so already. Might at least save someone else some grief. Good luck in getting this worked out!

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Aaron, I would be contributing some very strongly worded negative feedback of your own to his account, if you haven't done so already. Might at least save someone else some grief. Good luck in getting this worked out!

I'm going to give it a little more time and then I will be doing exactly that...FOUR times!

I made two mistakes:
    1.) I only looked at his most recent page of feedback before bidding and sending payment. Digging deeper like Printcraft did, I see a lot of negative feedback for problems like what I'm having.
    2.) I didn't pay by USPS money order. I know that gives better leverage re: mail fraud. I'm going to have to see how that works with personal checks since I did send it by US Mail.

Thanks to you and everyone else in this thread for the advice and/or well wishes! :ingo:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm going to give it a little more time and then I will be doing exactly that...FOUR times!

I made two mistakes:
    1.) I only looked at his most recent page of feedback before bidding and sending payment. Digging deeper like Printcraft did, I see a lot of negative feedback for problems like what I'm having.
    2.) I didn't pay by USPS money order. I know that gives better leverage re: mail fraud. I'm going to have to see how that works with personal checks since I did send it by US Mail.

Thanks to you and everyone else in this thread for the advice and/or well wishes! :ingo:

Wire fraud, mail fraud. I don't know what the burden of proof is for all that. I got ripped off online for several thousand dollars once and the detective strait up told me they are so overwhelmed and most of online fraud cases never get solved. And it never did and it stung and i learned from it.
    I hope you get a good resolution. If the cops can't help may be take a road trip. I'm not advising beating his ass but you have the right to confront him to his face

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Last time I purchased a Postal Money Order I believe it was $1.15, they are actually pretty cheap and hard to counterfeit.
    Saves a lot of time and hassle. Have your envelope ready to go with your auction page printed and inside, buy the money order and mail it while you are there.
    Depending on the cost of the item, I will sometimes send the money order with a tracking number.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When the founders said 'In God we Trust' they didn't mean it in a fatalistic or pompous sort way, they meant it in a 'that will be cash on the barrel head' sort of way. It's why the first coinage of the republic said 'Mind Your Business' (and they didn't mean it in a leave me alone sort of way).

If you want to make an enemy of a friend loan them money. Strangers are not to be trusted. I've never bought off GB without a Cr. Card.

It stinks to get played but it's not like most of us haven't learned that lesson the hard way. I hope it works out for you this time though.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If a seller on GB doesn't have 99% positive feedback I run the other way. 40 sour transactions should have raised one of those red flags you were talking about. After a month and if he's not answering emails or phone calls I would roast him in the feedback arena and write it off as a learning experience. Good luck
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Top Bottom