• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have an ar that is experiencing occasional light primer strikes leading to no boom. Ive chected the springs and they are all correct is thetre a place around Indianapolis that can trouble shoot this issue for me? I'm on the Eastside.

Thanks

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Have you cleaned out your bolt? Also, what ammo are you using? Is it one brand or several brands the light strikes happen?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I had that problem when I had too much oil in the bolt around the firing pin.

US Defense Solutions is a good AR place. They're on 37 and County Line.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Its spikes billet upper and lower , new upper 2 year old lower. The only thing I did was move around buffers and buffer springs from an ar15 450 bushmaster. I might have mixed them up at some point.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Was it running properly BEFORE you switched around stuff?
    How many rounds has been run through the two yr old lower?
    How many rounds have you run with the NEW Upper and OLD lower together before this happened.
    I wouldn't think buffer spring or buffer would cause light strikes.
    My guess without hands on would be in the springs or trigger group given the info you've shared with us.
    Firing pin in good shape?
    If it was mine the first thing I'd do is pull the bolt down and make sure the thing is very clean and no debris in the pin. Be sure to lightly oil and wipe it off. Measure the firing pin. It might be getting worn down.
    Trigger springs are cheap. Replace them. I got a lower parts kit about 2 years ago and the trigger springs went south pretty quick. I rebuilt it with better parts.
    IF you look closely you can see the difference in some of the kits as far as quality.
    Make sure everything is clean. Lint, cat hair, etc... Clean everything. Pull the trigger group apart. Grease and oil harden.
    IF this is steel cased ammo step on the other foot.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What trigger do you have in it? Any trigger with lighter springs can cause light primer strikes. Also make sure that the hammer spring is on correctly. It is a common mistake to put it on backwards which will cause it to wear out quickly after working for a while usually.

Also, make sure that there is only oil on the outside of the bolt and the bolt carrier. Any easy way to check that would be to try a different bolt in the gun.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They both have the enhanced spikes trigger in them. The spring was in right. I never hada a problem with the trident 450 upper on the spikes lower. Didn't start getting the light primer strikes until I put the JM barrel and bolt on to the spikes upper on the spikes lower.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lot smarter operators on here than me. I'm stuck using the KISS method.

Have you tried a different (known working) BCG? I've seen this practice "solve" issues at the range.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    They both have the enhanced spikes trigger in them. The spring was in right. I never hada a problem with the trident 450 upper on the spikes lower. Didn't start getting the light primer strikes until I put the JM barrel and bolt on to the spikes upper on the spikes lower.

I don't know anything about .450s. any special parts in the fire control group, like special hammers?
    did you verify the bolt is cam'ing all the way over / carrier fully forward?
    measure the FP and FP protrusion.
    you mention new barrel... potential for way excessive headspace? (maybe try BCG in another rifle)
    have another BCG you can swap in? I'd work out... try different FP, then bolt, then carrier, then whole assembly.
    disassemble / clean BCG, maybe debris blocking FP and/or cam.

just ideas off the cuff...

ps. w/o reading back through the thread... make sure you try a couple brands of decent factory ammo,

-rvb

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    1) Try a new BCG. Verify if issue is still there. If issue is still present, proceed to step 2
    2) Replace trigger springs. Verify if issue is still there. If issue is still present, proceed to step 3
    3) Replace trigger group. Verify if issue is still there.

This is considering you've already taken care of the easy stuff.....like cleaning, verifying head space, not using crap components, etc...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Gunsmith said it was the gas block. I guess one of the set screws was loose? Going to go shoot it to see if its running right now.

It's maybe possible if the gas tube got so out of alignment it kept the carrier from fully going forward (bolt not fully cam'ed). seems unlikely though. good luck
    -rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom