Do YOU know where all your grenades and mortar rounds are?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    During my time as the 1SG of an Instructor Company the Hand Grenade range had a missing grenade.
    After about four days of lockdown all the agencies in power believed my Range NCOIC.
    One of the cases was short a grenade from the factory the lot was dated from 1969 that was a bad experience.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I lost mine in a pond related accident

[video=youtube;T90KnzsKM0c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90KnzsKM0c[/video]

At least, this is what I'd be tempted to do if I found a live grenade

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    During my time as the 1SG of an Instructor Company the Hand Grenade range had a missing grenade.
    After about four days of lockdown all the agencies in power believed my Range NCOIC.
    One of the cases was short a grenade from the factory the lot was dated from 1969 that was a bad experience.

I can only imagine. In basic, somehow someone in another company got off the range with a round chambered and when we all sat down to clean rifles, (my company, Alpha had the range in the morning and Bravo had it in the afternoon) so we were all cleaning in the assembly area between the companies' respective barracks when the distinctive report of 1 round 5.56 NATO was heard, thankfully no one was hit. While I surmise that the recruit who fired the round caught a storm of...y'know, I can only imagine what went on with the Drill Sergeants who were supposed to verify the rifles were clear and search the recruits.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The best line from the film "Grabbers"...I know it sounds cheesy but it's funny as can be with some good scares as well.....

"Paddy!!!! Do you have any Semtex on you?"

"On me???? No not on me..."

[video=youtube;4e3izWdh9WM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3izWdh9WM[/video]

Back in the 90's they found a box of pineapple grenades from WW2 at Cox's park in Louisville...Someone had dumped them in the river and when the river went down they found them....Turned out a ladies husband had died, a WW2 vet, and she found them hidden in the closet....She didn't know what to do with them so she threw them in the river not thinking the water was going to go down in a couple of days....No charges were filed IIRC...She contacted the police when the story broke and told them what happened...

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I know a guy in Vincennes that says he lost his hand from Re-arming grenades and tossing them in ponds. Could be horse **** though.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The man gave the two grenades and two mortar bombs to a co-worker from St. John, who then brought the items...

what kind of dumb*** accepts that box of felonies?!

Perhaps there were 3 or 4 grenades in the box before the helpful coworker turned them over? :)

-rvb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    This reminds me of my grenade training.
    he told us this was not the movies.
    You do not pull the pin.
    release the arm and count to one or two or three.
    He said that you will never get to four.
    You pull the pin and throw it.
    the arm will release in midair as you dive face down.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Had to smile, back in the late 1940's or early 50's, I had a classmate bring a WW2 grenade to our school in the small town where I lived. The teacher took it away from him and called the Sheriff to get the grenade. When the sheriff asked Tony why he brought it to school, he said he just wanted to show the rest of the class. He said it wasn't dangerous as he had taken the explosive out. Upon inspection they found he had done just what he said. As I recall all he got from the incident was a stern warning.

A year or two later he brought a cap gun to school. He had somehow installed a piece of car radio antenna in the barrel and put hose clamps on the casting to hold it together. He filed the hammer to strike a 22 cal bullet rim, all of the boys in our class were in the woods next to the school taking target practice when the teacher found us. Again the sheriff was called, he took the gun, don't know what Tony received but he didn't show up to school for a couple days.

Tony was kind of a risk taker, When he was in his teen's he obtained an old tractor free with a blown motor. He then found a Ford flathead V8 and somehow installed it in the tractor. State police caught him on the highway doing over 30~40 MPH, weaving between lanes. (this was a narrow front end tractor, don't know how he even kept it on the road). Think they did confiscate the tractor!

Today I'm sure Tony would be in jail, back then he just kept getting warnings. Never did harm anyone, just liked to tinker!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I had a friend who was a pit safety and the trainee fumbled the grenade in the pit. My friend physically piched up the kid, threw hin clear, turned his back and took the brunt of the explosion. He was back on light duty after a few weeks, but didn't sit comfortably for a long time.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    During my time as Drill Sergeant we had several memorable times at the Hand Grenade range. This one sticks out the most I was the staging bay DS I issued the grenades to the privates. I personally took much joy at dropping at least one grenade a rotation while handing it over. The privates rotated up to the ready bay then into the pit. Normal boring day of a DS calls of "short" are normal the private just didn't get it out quite far enough. Standing around bored thinking about the road march back.
    I hear the call "LOOSE" oh sh&$ that means it out of the pit. Loud explosion sulphuric smell followed by "cease fire" checked the privates all good. Then the ready bay DS walked down to me blood all over his cheek. The grenade rolled off the privates hand backwards exploding about 4ft behind me. A sliver of shrapnel went though the ready bay DS,s cheek and burnt his tongue and the roof of his mouth.
    No privates injured keep on training!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    During my time as Drill Sergeant we had several memorable times at the Hand Grenade range. This one sticks out the most I was the staging bay DS I issued the grenades to the privates. I personally took much joy at dropping at least one grenade a rotation while handing it over. The privates rotated up to the ready bay then into the pit. Normal boring day of a DS calls of "short" are normal the private just didn't get it out quite far enough. Standing around bored thinking about the road march back.
    I hear the call "LOOSE" oh sh&$ that means it out of the pit. Loud explosion sulphuric smell followed by "cease fire" checked the privates all good. Then the ready bay DS walked down to me blood all over his cheek. The grenade rolled off the privates hand backwards exploding about 4ft behind me. A sliver of shrapnel went though the ready bay DS,s cheek and burnt his tongue and the roof of his mouth.
    No privates injured keep on training!

I just had some taken out last year. I have 1 or 2 more surgeries to go

Top Bottom