• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did a search about cleaning your handgun.
    I got lots of threads under "General" and "handguns" but nothing specific to just cleaning.
    Maybe it is hidden inside those posts; I didn't check; I even saw some of my own posts there where I must have just mentioned the word "cleaning," so that didn't inspire me to go through all the threads that came up.

Where do I go here, or do I have to go to youtube vids about it?

I need to know what materials to use so I don't make a mistake using something too corrosive.

I have an 1990 cleaning kit for a 22 left over from my "other life," so I know I need caliber specific pieces that go through the barrel.
    I have 22, 22 magnum, 380, 38 special and 9mm.

Sorry to bother with such newb questions.

I don't remember even using my 22 caliber cleaning kit, and I fired my 22 mag and 380 that I had then so little that I never thought about them.
    I had multiples of 22s and I bought and sold them like I do now, so not much/any experience in cleaning.
    I cringe now thinking of buying older guns w/o first cleaning them before shooting them.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'd grab a multi caliber kit from where ever you want and a good bottle of CLP. I think my kit is a winchester from wal mart a decade ago, covers everything well and works! You could probably get by with a bore snake in calibers you have 380/38/9mm will be the same and a bottle of CLP. I like the kit myself though, works well.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    What's wrong with YouTube? I'll agree with Fordtough25, but would swap the CLP with Hoppe's #9. I would not be afraid of any of the off-the-shelf firearm cleaning products.

Cleaning is wonderful, as in addition to getting out all of the crap in your firearm, you'll get an understanding of how it all works and why.

Good shootin'!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'd grab a multi caliber kit from where ever you want and a good bottle of CLP. I think my kit is a winchester from wal mart a decade ago, covers everything well and works! You could probably get by with a bore snake in calibers you have 380/38/9mm will be the same and a bottle of CLP. I like the kit myself though, works well.

What's wrong with YouTube? I'll agree with Fordtough25, but would swap the CLP with Hoppe's #9. I would not be afraid of any of the off-the-shelf firearm cleaning products.

Cleaning is wonderful, as in addition to getting out all of the crap in your firearm, you'll get an understanding of how it all works and why.

Good shootin'!

1. I tried to buy a multi-caliber cleaning kit at Point Blank Gun Range and there wasn't any that had all the calibers I wanted: 22, 22 magnum, 380, 38 sp, and 9mm.
    2. perhaps the 38, and 9mm would be the samish diameter, but what about the 380?
    3. I even was looking online for a $30 kit, but it didn't have all my calibers.
    4. Perhaps I don't know which things overlap (like 38 and 357).
    5. I'll even have to look and see if the 22 and 22 magnum are the same diameter, but I thought they were different since some 22 revolvers come with 2 different cylinders to negotiate both calibers.
    6. I don't expect a clerk at Wal Mart to know, but the guy at the range couldn't find a kit for me either, which surprised me, since I don't have the "big" calibers: 40 and 45; perhaps the 38 special is considered in the "big" category and you don't get them with the smaller calibers.
    7. I'll have to look up diameters for the 380 to see if it is like either the 38 or a 9mm diameter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    1. I tried to buy a multi-caliber cleaning kit at Point Blank Gun Range and there wasn't any that had all the calibers I wanted: 22, 22 magnum, 380, 38 sp, and 9mm.
    2. perhaps the 38, and 9mm would be the samish diameter, but what about the 380?
    5. I'll even have to look and see if the 22 and 22 magnum are the same diameter, but I thought they were different since some 22 revolvers come with 2 different cylinders to negotiate both calibers.
    6. I don't expect a clerk at Wal Mart to know, but the guy at the range couldn't find a kit for me either, which surprised me, since I don't have the "big" calibers: 40 and 45; perhaps the 38 special is considered in the "big" category and you don't get them with the smaller calibers.
    7. I'll have to look up diameters for the 380 to see if it is like either the 38 or a 9mm diameter.

You would use the same for 380 as you would for 38/357 and 9mm. This is the kit I use. Nice and compact and has everything I need pretty much (except for the patches/solvent/lube).

[video=youtube;vVtVSj3ruUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVtVSj3ruUA[/video]

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Yep, 38/380/9mm use the same brush, 22/22 mag use the same brush. Any kit like you checked out will work. I have a bottle of hoppes also lol but I use CLP the most!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Clp is awesome for cleaning.
    For pistols i use glock grease that I got from the glock doc at a gun show. It's white I can't remember the name of it but I've had the same tube for years since glocks don't require but like 4 drips of lube and the top of the barrel if you wish.
    For my AR's I've always used axel grease. You can buy it at Wal-Mart in a small container that will last your children their lifetimes. I use the black axel grease but the one I like the best that I use is the red high temp. You properly put that on your BCG and a little on key points of the charging handle and your AR will run like a champ through anything. Keep the AR's greased guys, the oil burns off fast.
    Also if you use one in the summer then it usually won't work in the winter. You need to freeze your guns and check what works.
    I have slip 2000 that is pretty good too for quickies but for sit down cleaning and re lubes i,use grease

wildcatdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Noblesville
    I've used Hoppes #9 for 20+ years to clean (just be careful with it on polymer guns) with cut up tshirt/rag for patches. CLP or SLP 2000 afterwards for lube. In addition to a basic multi-caliber cleaning kit, I find copper and nylon brushes to be a must have.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a generic multi-caliber kit from Meijer. Covers everything from .17 -.45 and .410/20/12 Gauge, didn't need all of it but it was all included for $20.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I haven't had any problem with #9 damaging my XDM or XDE, but won't say it isn't possible. I can't imagine using Aerokroil on my guns. It works amazing, but it smells horrible.

Last edited:

wildcatdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Noblesville
    I haven't had any problem with #9 damaging my XDM or XDE, but won't say it isn't possible. I can't imagine using Aerokroil on my guns. It works amazing, but it smells horrible.

I had an instance where it melted a small spot on the grip of my Walther P22.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have an asortment of bore snakes and use Breakfree CLP. A Two ended nylon brish, a couple of old t shirts Q tips . And need to get some pipe cleaners to get thriugh small detent holes.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You would use the same for 380 as you would for 38/357 and 9mm. This is the kit I use. Nice and compact and has everything I need pretty much (except for the patches/solvent/lube).

[video=youtube;vVtVSj3ruUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVtVSj3ruUA[/video]

Yep, 38/380/9mm use the same brush, 22/22 mag use the same brush. Any kit like you checked out will work. I have a bottle of hoppes also lol but I use CLP the most!

Clp is awesome for cleaning.
    For pistols i use glock grease that I got from the glock doc at a gun show. It's white I can't remember the name of it but I've had the same tube for years since glocks don't require but like 4 drips of lube and the top of the barrel if you wish.
    For my AR's I've always used axel grease. You can buy it at Wal-Mart in a small container that will last your children their lifetimes. I use the black axel grease but the one I like the best that I use is the red high temp. You properly put that on your BCG and a little on key points of the charging handle and your AR will run like a champ through anything. Keep the AR's greased guys, the oil burns off fast.
    Also if you use one in the summer then it usually won't work in the winter. You need to freeze your guns and check what works.
    I have slip 2000 that is pretty good too for quickies but for sit down cleaning and re lubes i,use grease

I don't actually use brushes very often. I prefer to swab the barrel with clp or hoppes, let it sit awhile, and then scrub it out with multiple cleaning swabs.

I've used Hoppes #9 for 20+ years to clean (just be careful with it on polymer guns) with cut up tshirt/rag for patches. CLP or SLP 2000 afterwards for lube. In addition to a basic multi-caliber cleaning kit, I find copper and nylon brushes to be a must have.

I picked up a generic multi-caliber kit from Meijer. Covers everything from .17 -.45 and .410/20/12 Gauge, didn't need all of it but it was all included for $20.

I have an Otis Cleaning Kit I like. .22 to .45 and fits on my belt / pack strap.

In addition to CLP i have found that AeroKroil is a solid product.

I had an instance where it melted a small spot on the grip of my Walther P22.

1. Wow! Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it!
    2. After work I stopped by a place I like at 6680 E 21st St, Steven R. Jenkins Inc.: it caters to law enforcement. I can't even buy guns there, they sell only Glock and Smith and the prices are great, but not for the public. If I joined the Glock "club" I would be allowed, but Smith doesn't have that program.
    3. I went in looking for an ankle holster, but that's another thread, bought one (it's where I bought my DeSantis Superfly sticky pocket holster with extra flap, which I love).
    4. I got a guy to help me know what to buy in cleaning supplies, and he broke down a Smith 9mm and showed me where, how and what to avoid.
    5. Since I already have 2 .22 cleaning kits (bought one and then found one in my 1990 leftover supplies in a file drawer in the garage) I didn't need to buy a $25, $35 or $50 cleaning kit.
    6. I only needed to buy in addition to my .22 kit: a 38 bore brush, and a 9mm bore to be able to do my 22, 22 magnum, 380, 38 sp. and 9mm.
    7. I picked up a nylon utilty (toothbrush) and some bigger cleaning pads.
    8. I picked up a large can of Break Free CLP (cleaner, lubricant and preservative).
    9. I have an old can of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. It says it cleans Gun Acrions w/o disassembly. I suppose since it's a cleaner, I'll use it on any gun that has more build up on it before using the CLP.
    10. He warned me where the places were to stay away from spraying or getting more than a hint of the oils on them, one was near the trigger and the other don't remember the name.
    11. I'll just have to find out how to break down the new Sig 1911-22 I just bought, and I the revolver is straight forward.
    12. We'll see if I get brave enough to be cleaning the Ruger LC9 I'm selling or the Taurus 709 Slim I will be selling after the Ruger sells.
    13. I look forward to finding out how to break down my 1990 Colt Mustang 380; I've never cleaned it b/c I not shot it much at all.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't actually use brushes very often. I prefer to swab the barrel with clp or hoppes, let it sit awhile, and then scrub it out with multiple cleaning swabs.

Same here. I generally only use brushes on some of the older guns I buy that might have some leading or copper fouling (or just haven't been cleaned in decades :):). If I've just put 100 rounds or less through a gun at the range, I give it a quick pass or two with the bore snake and CLP. For regular cleaning I usually use Hoppes and patches then a final pass with CLP for the bore. I also have a spray cleaner/light lube that I use where a heavier oil isn't needed. Like to give the outside of the barrel and frame a light spray and wipe down with it before storage.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    For every day use just use a can of brake cleaner non chlorinated then follow up with a few sprays of rem lube and done. Inexpensive as well.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I've gone to boresnakes. One to clean; one to oil.

Hoppe's is my favortie but also am happy with CLP and SLP2000. After a lifetime of cleaning with Hoppe's, its just not firearm maintenance without that smell...

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    My process is simple for anything other than my .22's, and for thousands and thousands of rounds in my non-.22 pistols, never had a hiccup.

1. Remove slide from frame.
    2. Remove barrel/spring assembly from slide.
    3. Run bore snake through barrel.
    4. Use about 10-15 q-tips dipped in frog lube paste to clean all the crap where they can reach. (you do have to tweezer out fibers very occasionally)
    5. Apply very small amounts of frog lube paste to slide action.
    6. Blowdry until froglube melts.
    7. Put it back together and cycle the slide 9-10x.

I've never run anything "hard", but have done 250-300 rounds in a session many many times with no problem using this method.

The only thing I'm doing differently soon is running the bore snake at the range (keeping a collection of them in my range bag)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom